WTB '84 T2 Ignition key switch

Buy and sell Honda City's and Parts (Honda City's only please!)
yelodog
Forum Participant

WTB '84 T2 Ignition key switch

Postby yelodog » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:37 am

Had a Civic kept quitting after starting that baffled many mechs until an old Honda hand said to replace the switch. Now my T2 does the same about ten percent of the time. Have a switch with key? I will try to get a locksmith to match my present key so I can use on doors. I also need turn signal switch that includes intermittent wiper. In Blenheim, NZ

yelodog
Forum Participant

start-stop problem

Postby yelodog » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:07 am

Pedro had another episode: Starts instantly on key switch but stops when key is released. Curious also that test lights do not illuminate. I wiggled the switch and attempted start about 10 or fifteen times and it decided to work. Its been about two months since the last occurrence, I hope it will be about two more. Car has 200,000 k on it. Question: Will the ignition switch from a City of the same year work?

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:35 am

I would be 90% sure it will. Probably even civic ones are very similar.

mangusta
Forum Enthusiast

Postby mangusta » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:33 pm

I had something very similar happen to me, the design of the elec switch in the back of the key is bad for shorting out (plastic backing on a copper disk with terminals on it wears through and the spring shorts the plate to ground, frying it all inside)

Unfortunately the switch itself is crimped in the back of the key housing (cast alu) and getting it out usually ends up withn the edge cracking off and it not staying together very well afterwards...

There are only 6 terminals on the key, two are linked (I think power in), so with a multimeter you can swap the terminals around to match the switch you can get, hardest bit would be matching the column fit, but same era civics should be near identical...

yelodog
Forum Participant

Postby yelodog » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:57 pm

Did the research, zeroed in on the fuel pump relay. Sure enuf, cold/old soldering! works great now. The clue is: turn key on, listen for fuel pump before starting. jc

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:33 am

Those relays should be re-soldered on every fuel injected Honda to make sure they don't fail.

The ignition switches are also a big problem i have a whole lockset including switch somewhere (not sure where the LH door one is exactly) if you need it in the future. And also if you still require it a combo switch for the headlights wipers ect

Return to “For Sale / Wanted”