Awesome T2 for sale in nz!

Buy and sell Honda City's and Parts (Honda City's only please!)
davearmstrong
I'm New Here, Please Be Nice!

Re: Awesome T2 for sale in nz!

Postby davearmstrong » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:05 pm

Now I've never seen wing mirrors like that before :lol:

Hrmm... the height of the poles mean quite a lot of leverage on the base. Could run into problems with the mirror cups up top buffetting around in the wind or getting smacked around by people being careless when walking near the car. Not so big an issue at the top of the cup, but could put quite a lot of strain on the base where it attaches to the fender.

Do the originals have some kind of metal reinforcement? I'm thinking it would need something like this (excuse bodged up paint pic)

with the pink parts being metal.

It would be possible to print the grey parts to snap on around the outside of a metal frame, that would give the mirror its shape, but I think without reinforcement 3d printed parts might snap off at the base... a fibre reinforced epoxy part might be strong enough for the base by itself, but that would mean making a mould.

If you have an original and wanted to avoid the complexity of a metal skeleton, I'd be tempted to try making a mould of the base then filling it with epoxy and chopped strand fibreglass. Would hopefully make a part strong enough that you can do away with the metal skeleton. Plus you wouldn't see the bottom of the base, so could avoid hassle of a 2 part mould, and just leave bottom rough, with a piece of firm rubber between it and the fender.

The top cup, thats a different beasty...guessing it would be quite thin, the heavier that gets the more weight you'll have bouncing around on the end of those arms. First thoughts are vacuum infusion moulding like we used to do at flexiglass for making ute canopies... but that'd need a 2 part mould and a lot of work for a small production run... what about a one part mould of the outside of the cup. Gel coat that, then a layer of fibreglass matt. Brush on the epoxy them vaccuum bag the whole thing? That'd be strong & light, and no-one will see the inside of the cup anyways, so a bit of roughness there wont hurt.

Could even do it in carbon fibre if you wanted to bling it.

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:15 pm

You know your stuff! I haven't taken my one totally apart as yet, so dunno what's behind the mirror - but was surprised how thin/light the top 'cup' plastic part is, and it has only a thin sheet of mirror glass in it. The rods are aluminium pipe, and the base - from memory - is either die-cast or has a diecast part with a plastic top...these mirrors have a spring setup underneath where they mount on your fender so they have some give. Apparently this style of fender-mirror was a Japanese thing to save room to try & avoid people walking past and knocking into them. Anyways about a month back I started wipping up a Vac-forming table, so making a copy is on my to-do list...I only have a right-side mirror so have to make another.

This is another 'Less Wide' bodykit you see abit of on City Turbo's : https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Hyperblade » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:17 am

Car has now been sold to a local in Christchurch (including all spare parts), hopefully he signs up for the forums :)

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:03 pm

Cool beans - I *have* technically hunted down a mob that Do apparently make the front lip, Turbo II bonnets & *maybe* Turbo II front quarter panels in Carbon fiber, but just waiting & waiting for them to mail me back with a price list. So far they have mailed me saying Yes we make! - but nothing else - I may just give them a ring today if I get a chance :p - http://www.emsfw.co.jp/company/index.html

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:36 pm

Little update, I rang this EMS company in Japan today to follow up my email query, The guy that answered actually spoke pretty decent English. He had my email & said to wait afew days for Pricing etc. Apparently he used to live here in Perth, so that's pretty cool. Hopefully he can come through with the goods ;)

spike10000
Forum Enthusiast

Postby spike10000 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:32 pm

Checked out their website, but there wasn't anything specific about car parts on there from what I could see. Was it one of the Japan crew that pointed you in their direction?

ANTHRAXXX
Forum Addict

Postby ANTHRAXXX » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:13 pm

Yeap Kazzee gave me the link, he runs the Japanese City Forum. Latest info. is I have pics of their carbon bonnet, posted on my FB page today. They make about 7 City products in both carbon & fiberglass. The guy's family lives here in Perth & apparently will be in touch with me for pricing/info etc. in the next few days.

WilliamnaRWQ
I'm New Here, Please Be Nice!

Awesome T2 for sale in nz

Postby WilliamnaRWQ » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:47 am

possibly....Id need to check lengths, but the outer shaft bolt pattern and hub are the same size. These would be 35 spline, so I think they clear the rear 60 spindles without boring them out, but not 100. If I go through with the sale Ill take some measurements of the shafts and post them in a new thread

Return to “For Sale / Wanted”