Interesting Facts

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
James
Moderator / Donating Member

Interesting Facts

Postby James » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:49 pm

While I was at Alex's have a look at his LSD he gave me a look at some EW Civic fuel injection system. It is pretty much identical to the city turbo fuel injection system.

The EW civic ECU plugs straight in and runs my car fine, I assume the only difference is that the EW civic only has MAP sensor A not B as well, because it only operates in vacuum.

I took the case of the EW ECU and it is just about identical to a T2 ECU. There are a few wire jumpers and resistors in different places (some in blank spots that I was wondering about). I would not be surprised if the ecu's are identical and just have a few joiners inside them to decide whether it works as a T2 ECU or a EW ecu.

One of the benifits of this find is that they produced Honda Service manuals in english for this car, and they are avaiable online.

http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/media/manuals/WorkshopManualCivic84-87/index.html

If you have a flick through these you will notice that a lot of the diagrams are directly copied from the T2 manual, just they are in english instead!

There is a lot of helpful troubleshooting info.

There was a bit of aftermarket support for these cars in Japan, Im pretty sure mugen made a bolt on turbo kit for the engine that came with a special mugen ECU...

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:41 am

correct mugen did make a turbo kit for the EW-5 (i will find my brochure scans)

HKS also made a turbo kit i believe the HKS used a piggyback system to control the extra fuel needed, (i will find pics i have some)

i dont have any details about what mugen used to control thier fuel but i will look into it further and see if i can find anything. i will also look around and see if i can find anything sugesting that mugen made a ecu for the N/A EW-5, they made one for the browntop ZC so there should be something for EW as well.

btw the browntop ZC ecu that came in honda civic crx and integra BEFORE 1988 plugs in as well and runs an EW, i will also mention that the ecu's from 1988 onwards ZC powered cars also plugs in but has electronic advance dizzy, it is known that those ECUs can be chipped for reprograming so possibly it could be adapted for T1/T2 for modified fuel curve,

let me know how that ECU project is comming along i will be keen for testing on an EW-5

i also have a feeling i know of more people who would want the ECU you are developing if it ends up being compatible with EW-5 engines

James

Postby James » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:35 pm

That LSD in that pic looks a lot like your one alex doesnt it?

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:00 pm

yes those are the images i was refering to,
i have that mugen EW5 camshaft too :D

the diff is similar, any chance it was a mugen to start with then rebuilt using aftermarket friction plates similar to that of the Kazz/Cusco design?

that would explain the lack of wear on the friction plates but wear on the springs i noted?

looks like the EW-5 made 150ps on 7psi

this is from the DOHC SPORTS catalog N1 spec 3G civic shows the LSD looks similar to what i have even the part number is there but i dont know where it is on the diff.

James

Postby James » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:46 pm

I recon that one looks more like it, that one in the pic you posted still has casting dags and stuff on it, like the city turbo one does.

It could be genuine mugen as far as I know, they could use a similar pattern to cusco, that brand only came to mind because of the spiral pattern and the lack of part number. Maybe you could give honda parts a ring and ask if they know if the diffs usually have part numbers somewhere.

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:49 pm

thats a good idea i will ask a couple of honda experts i know and see if they know anything.

James

Postby James » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:58 pm

Just had an Idea, maybe the part number was on that bit thats been ground off?

Dxs
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Dxs » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:43 pm

3GCVC wrote:btw the browntop ZC ecu that came in honda civic crx and integra BEFORE 1988 plugs in as well and runs an EW, i will also mention that the ecu's from 1988 onwards ZC powered cars also plugs in but has electronic advance dizzy, it is known that those ECUs can be chipped for reprograming so possibly it could be adapted for T1/T2 for modified fuel curve,

did anyone ever look into this further??
i believe this is the instructions for socketing a PG7 with electronic advance dizzy
http://www.g1teg.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=22865

i presume there would be big issues with the dizzy, maps sensors and cvcc?
maybe a hybrid dizzy could be made?

turbo trevor
I'm New Here, Please Be Nice!

Postby turbo trevor » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:15 pm

Just thought I would add the EW5 has a fifth injector for a type of CVCC arrangement whereas the EW3 is a more standard arrangement.

James

Postby James » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:20 pm

How does a ZC run the EW when I assume it won't be controllingt he CVCC injector...

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:37 pm

it plugs in and starts and runs, not well but it does, i would also guess that the CVCC injector does not get used.

Return to “General”