rims

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
crooky
Forum Enthusiast

rims

Postby crooky » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:21 pm

G'day crew.  Was looking on ebay and thinking that I wouldn't mind purchasing a set of 14 inch rims (possibly even 13's if they were cool enough) for my T1 but beyond needing a 4x100mm stud pattern, I have no idea of the size I need.  Does anybody know what size centre hole and offset I need?  Even better, does anybody have any they could sell me? I'm in Canberra.  All help appreciated.  My T1 still has the original 12 inch rims and although they are good for acceleration, they are not the best for handling.  Plus 12 inch tyres are expensive!  I'm sure many of you have been through this already.  Cheers

Joel

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Re: rims

Postby Hyperblade » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:33 pm

13inch tyres arent that cheap either, just brought some new 185/60/13's for my cars cost me over $100 per tyre new. And the tyres had to be got down from the north Island. :-/

Was seriously looking at 14inch tyres but that would have ment having to buy new mags just wasn't cost effective for me.

Cheers
Ben

Kam
Forum Regular

Postby Kam » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:02 pm

If your after tyres for 14inch rims try to get a set of 195/45 14's.  They have the same diameter as your 12's.  They cost me $110 each(that could have been mates rates) but its worth it.  I don't know if there available in Australia because there a German tyre. Brand name is Fulda!  

If you want to save on tyres stick to 13 inch wheel and get a set of 185/60 13's.  You can get alot cheaper than $100 each and the diameter isn't too much bigger.

Looks are in the eye of the beholder!

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:10 pm

185/60/13 are expensive because no cars have them factory anymore. Back in the day they were a given for all sporty small cars, but now anything with 13's is fairly rare. You will generally find that with bigger mags that the tyres get cheaper. 194/45/14 are also expensive cos they are VERY low profile for that diameter rim.

Personally i go for 80% used tyres coe they are $50 a tyre even for directionals and they last nearly as long as new!

Crooky:
Any mags for a FWD shold be fine. Its only really rear wheel drive cars that come with funky offsets.

As for mags, my 205/50 wrapped 15's will do me nicely thankyou ;D Certainly look staunch as hell on a dinky little civic 8)

fireslug
Forum Regular

Postby fireslug » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:48 pm

Yo dood,

I scored a TII body with wide rims on it. The rims were left on so that the car could be transported to my place.

The seller races turbos,  and told me that the wide tyres came from a honda accord. He said that the accord, civic and other honda 14 inch rims will fit the city turbo. Not all will be most will.

So, I'm off to get me some accord rims tomorrow, and STRONG HONDA'S in Onehunga, have tyres to fit these rims.

I bought 2, almost new tyres for $80, fitted, and balanced, last friday.

So, worry not about how you can get the rims, jest rippem offa nother honda mate.

Cheers

Fireslug

crooky
Forum Enthusiast

Postby crooky » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:26 am

If your interested guys.  The measurements for city rims are:
PCD:  4x100mm
offset:  +45
centre hole:  55mm diameter (I measured mine to get this measurement)

This is for a standard city and a T1.  I'm not sure if the T2 would have a different offset due to the flared guards but its possible.

Could someone explain to me whether the offset you need changes as rim size increases.  I've got my eye on a set of 14" x 6" eunos rims that have all these measurements.

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:11 pm

Offset only affects how far out or in the wheel sits in relation to the mounting face of the hub. There was a really good pic someone posted AGES back which explained it beautifully, ill see if i can find it. Basically. 0 offset would mean that the mounting face weas exactly in the centre of the rim. +ve ofset is (as all FWD are) with rims mounting more on the outside and the tyre extending further inward. A -ve offset is probably very rare and would only happen in a SERIOUSLY RWD drag car i should imagine. I belive -ve offset does weird things to the way your steering works...

Anyway, back to the question:
no, offset is not related to the diameter of your rims, those 14x6" will be fine 8)

Heres the handy pic:

Turbo2
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Turbo2 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:08 am

;)

As always a good explaination colza

Return to “General”