Need Help BAD!

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Need Help BAD!

Postby city_cabriolet » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:17 pm

Ok, my cars gearbox got rebuilt... but now this is what happens:

1. When i start the car, sounds extremely electricy whine when starting (never did that before).

2. Turbo seems to be spooling on idle? and then something real bad happens, it's like the turbo is stopping with a loud bang, but not sure if it's the turbo or not. But with acceleration, turbo spools, it's when it on small pressure when it bangs ???

It never did this before those mechanics re-did the driveshaft and gearbox. Could they have messed around with something to cause this?

I need my car working, i took it back to the place that stuffed it and they are claiming they never touched anything there and it's not their problem... I'm scared of taking it anywhere with no knowledge on what could be wrong because they may not be any help and may cost me more...

Any help appreciated,
Cheers,
Luke

Fader
Admin

Re: Need Help BAD!

Postby Fader » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:35 pm

hey dude, something you might want to check is the timing.. i remember when i was playing around with ours, if it was retarded back to 0, the turbo would suck real hard, you could hear it whistiling on idle, also it would not rev up very quick at all.. and occasionally, it would make a popping sound..

the timing would have been stuffed if they pulled the gear box off (i assume???) and they have prob set it back to '0' instead of 20º.

i reckon this might be it by the sounds of it!

Good luck!!

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:47 pm

Dude! That totally makes sense!!!

The turbo whistles on idle as if it's pulling 5 pounds, and occationally makes that pop sound...

Let's prey this is it!
Cheers Fader ;D

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:24 pm

This may be an appropriate time to point out that my article on timing in the FAQ is infact WRONG ::) sorry people, i will change it asap!

Shame on yall for not pointing it out.

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:26 pm

Changed the timing, it hasn't fixed anything...

Edit: Timing wasn't off to begin with, but played around to see if it made a difference.

Bang noise is alot more frequent now... i'm in big trouble...

1. Boost guage came unplugged recently.
2. but engine/turbo felt fine.

Now it's totally fagged, and eveyone i talk to says something different  >:(

I'm very reluctant to take it anywhere, they will charge through the teeth and may not fix it  :-[

Can vacuum leaks cause this symptom? Turbo spooling alot on idle, then it bangs (turbo comes to a hault). Then starts spooling again...

Also, compressor stall is totally different now, seems to nearly go forever and makes alot more ddduu-ddduu noise...

BIG TROUBLE! I don't really have another 1000 bucks for this... got quoted $590 for turbo rebuild and $200 to take it off and put it back on... But what if it's not the turbo and something else causing this? Giving the illusion it's the turbo...

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Hyperblade » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:42 pm

When you say the turbo is spooling at idle, how do you know it is doing that? If its by sound could it not be something else?

They had the gearbox off, did they put everything back together propably? Like could it be a loose nut around the clutch.

Ben

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:41 pm

My shagged turbo with 20mm shaft play stalled randomly when the compressor wheel hit the side of the housing....

Hows shaftplay on the turbo? I would be highly impressed if you could get the turbo on boost at idle! Its meant to go round at a reasonable speed at idle anyway.

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:44 pm

It's the familiar whistle... that's why i think it's the turbo.

I can put my foot down on acc and make it really boost, then when i back off it flutters for quite a while, with big gap between flutters (not like before) then it does it's BANG and stops, then starts to spool again (at idle... but this is 2,000 idle because not warm... )

But still, when car is first started, it never spooled like this before, you thinking shaft play is that bad it's spinning way more easily than it should, then when it compressor stalls, the shaft play causes it to hit the walls?

How do i check shaft play? take the inlet pipe off and stick my fingers in there?

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:47 pm

Yes it used to whistle a bit around 4-6 pounds, then at full boost couldn't hear it...

Also, just before it happened, the oil light flickered on/off/on/off (with a clanking sound each flicker)... then i put the clutch in and the clanking stopped, but oil light stayed on, then i pull over, oil is fine... but soon started to do it's pop/bang thing. Is our oil light oil pressure?

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:48 pm

Yep, just like that ;D

Do you have a boost guage you can borrow to see what the vacuum is like? Check for any missign vacuum lines that could be causing a high idle...

It seems very strange that it happened after the gearbox got done, was the engine taken out to fit the gearbox?

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:50 pm

nope, they probably thrashed the f*ck out of it thought, the mechanic said he'd never driven anything like it and said if i was selling it he'd buy it, 5km's later... everything went bad :(

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:50 pm

My boost guage is unplugged and i can't find where the hell it goes???

Edit: The under hood looks like it's been run through a heat treatment too... bits of oil around the vac hoses and boost guage plastic gone black and stiff...

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:51 pm

So the guage was plugged in but now is not? That could explain a HUGE vacuum leak...

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:53 pm

yep, but it's been unplugged for 2 weeks before everything happened without any problems...

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:56 pm

Have you tried resetting the ecu? If they started it with somehting unplugged it could have gone into 'drive like shit' mode. Which error codes are you getting?

Return to “General”