City Turbo 1 Questions?

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
GDTYMZ

City Turbo 1 Questions?

Postby GDTYMZ » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:55 pm

Hey all,

im just wondering because theres a pretty cheap City Turbo 1 for sale and im thinking if i can get the money for it, i'll go get it.

I haven't seen it yet and wont bother if i dont find the money but yeah, im really keen and i cant go to sleep just thinking about having the car.

Just wondering, what i should look out for and where i can find this e.g Rust or any city turbo problems and sicknessess?

also - i saw that the City Turbo 2 has a center console that goes around the gear shift, normal City's like E's dont have them, do the City Turbo 1 have them?

Any other suggestions for a newbie looking to buy a city turbo 1 - anything at all i should watch out for let me know.

Thanks!!
BEn

maniaman
Forum Participant

Re: City Turbo 1 Questions?

Postby maniaman » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:15 pm

ah look mate so many problems you may as well not bother....by the by...where is this T1? I was thinkin about converting my standard cabriolet... ;D

GDTYMZ

Postby GDTYMZ » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:56 am

many problems enough not to bother with them?
hmm - uhh, well thats enthusiastic, are you being serious?

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:11 pm

Nah he's not serious, he's got an N/A version.

Seriously, people only post things on here when something goes wrong, so a bad impression can be had from reading this forum.

But

When you find a T1 or T2 in good condition, you'll never look back. When you find one for $400 you may be in a bit of trouble if your not a mechanic...

You get what you pay for, but make sure the other guy doesn't rip you off, take it for a good test drive, remember whether it makes sounds or anything and post your result here and people can give their responses :)

GDTYMZ

Postby GDTYMZ » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:20 pm

im getting it less than $1g, lets put it that way.
Says its mechanically sound to what he can say. What should i look for (that can be seen to the eye) any hot spots of where usual city problems are? like any rust hot spots i should check etc etc? Im waiting his reply for an address and im probably going out tonight to go look at it. I've never bought a T1 before so i need all the help i can get so i dont make a mistake.

Cheers!! appreciate your help

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Hyperblade » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:21 pm

Hi welcome to the Site.

Rust areas are uptop behind the boot around where the rear brake light cable goes through the seal.

In the engine bay around the boonet hinges where the metal of the firewall is creased together

bottom inside of doors, also above the rear side windows below the dripguard.

Engine problems, if the boost gauage is only going up a small amount and you cant feel alot of boost, beware this could mean the turbos stuffed, and a turbo can cost easily around $600 to fix.

Of course check the oil and water to see if its using any,  but remember the engine would have done 200,000 odd k's so it will use some oil.

Beware of engines that have just had the spark plug leads changed this can mean that the engine has a problem, quite often a blown headgasket.  

T1 and T2's both have the center console.

Black t1's are generally in worse condition bodywork wise then the other colours, because of the sun.

Can you please also put your location in your profile. It would help us out.

As to maniaman i think he wants the motor out of it to put in his cab. :P

Cheers
Ben

GDTYMZ

Postby GDTYMZ » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:31 pm

im in west auckland..

umm how could i tell if the head gasket has blown ?
like you suggested that if the leads have been changed then it could have a  blown head gasket.. any colour smoke or anything?:

how do the T1's pull under boost??

any other tips?

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:59 pm

Using water, and oil, take notice of the colour of both the water and oil, to make sure they are not contaminating each other. Water in oil turns it milky and is extremely bad for the bearings.

Normally the leads have been changed the spark plugs as well, it doesnt run right, can possibly be smoke out the back, but the engines are old...

Normally trhe prelude to this is the turbo going, for some reason if it has been driven with a stuffed turbo for a while it can blow the head gasket. Something to do with the airflow past the stuffed turbo possibly?

The colour of the oil is the main give away, don't let me put you off but if the engines stuffed, unless you know what your doing and have a lot of time to fix it and money, they are best left alone.

Edit T1's of i can remember right have the boost kick in around 3000-3500 rpm, at about 4000rpm it should be nearly pulling full boost.  When it kicks in you should feel the boost right till when the boost guage hits the top then it will ease a bit. The boost is very noticable and should be noticed when it kicks in.

If you don't feel the boost but the guage is still going up a wee bit(4-5 bars), This can mean he turbo is stuffed, The guage should go right up to the top or second to top bar.

Ben

GDTYMZ

Postby GDTYMZ » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:07 pm

thanks, you're a great help.

Anything else i should watch out foR? hopefully this ones mint and wont let me down because i dont konw much about them and dont wanna spend much on keeping it on the road.

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:27 pm

Make sure it has a airfilter and it is connected, if it doesnt have one I would highly suggest you walk away from it. Its not worth the very good chance of the turbo going.

Thats about all i can remember Someone else might have some other useful info.

Cheers
Ben

GDTYMZ

Postby GDTYMZ » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:21 pm

*SOB SOB SOB*

i have been trying to contact the guy since this morning and checking my PM box on Toyspeed all day and he finally replies - ITS SOLD!!

im sooo gutted .. but now i can have peaceful sleeps now, no more car holding me up all night!! DAMMIT!

I really wanted .. so if any other cheap city turbos come along for sale .. anyone should contact me thru email

[email protected]

thanks ben for all the help aye dude, although i didnt even get to use all the damm info because i didnt get to even see it .. i had a good feeling it was mint .. dammit!

*end of rant*

thanks guys

Return to “General”