Import Turbo II to Australia

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
turbo2_83
Forum Participant

Import Turbo II to Australia

Postby turbo2_83 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:21 pm

Hello all! I am currently living in little old Picton, NZ but am heading back to my home town of Melbourne soon. I have a white 1983 Turbo II which I would really like to take with me. I already have the import approval but apparently the car also needs to be inspected by an engineer who can certify that it meets the Australian Design Rules for the year it was manufactured. I have checked them out and most of them seem pretty straight forward, but there are a few (like side impact protection for example) that I am unsure about. Can anyone tell me if this model meets the ADR's for 1983, and if not what would need to be done to get it to pass? Any help is much appreciated!

plainCity
Forum Participant

Re: Import Turbo II to Australia

Postby plainCity » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:50 pm

I just bought a honda city (jazz) that was imported into australia in 1993. It is actually a 1986 jap model I think judging by all the jap stickers on it.

this car has a compliance plate showing that it passed low volume compliancing procedure. that company was cosmo city cabriolet. its a weird plate as it also says the car is a cosmo city not a honda city, NFI whats goin on there..

anyway maybe one of those low volume compliancing companies can help ya..

but actually I thought if it was a private import (that is you have actually had it registered in your name for 6mths) it was very easy to import it.

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:26 pm

just let me know if u end up having to sell the car localy eh ;)

Im in nelson.

Jw

Charles
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Charles » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:26 am

When mine came in it required intrusion bars in the front doors, new seat belts and new aus spec tyres(even though the old ones can be sold as second hand tyres legally here). Everything else was OK. It may be easier and cheaper to slap on a set of Aus standard city doors on an have them colour matched. Mine was a bit butchered when they put in the intrusion bars.

GL, am I sure everyone here is keen to here about the process, total cost etc. I know I wouldn't mind bringing in an 89 EF SiR hatch from NZ.

turbo2_83
Forum Participant

Postby turbo2_83 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:04 pm

Well looks like I'm going ahead with it so I'll post here after I arrive and let you know how it went. I am bringing mine in a container with the rest of my household stuff so it's not costing any extra but the cheapest quote to ship it by itself was $1900 so probably not worth it for most people. Anyone have any ideas on roughly how Turbo II's many might already be in Australia?

btw JW, what might you offer me for it? It's in pretty much mint condition. Can send you a pic if you like. Just out of interest, in case I change my mind in the next few weeks...

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:53 pm

looks like its going then?

hmm i wouldnt offer much im afraid, id love a t2 as theres stuff all off them around these parts, but im just at the end of my major t1 rebuild, so funds arnt the best :(

Cheers

Jw

turbo2_83
Forum Participant

Postby turbo2_83 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:53 pm

I was just reading the roll call post with everyone listing what they have and where they are and BOOSTBOY I see you are in VIC... If you read this where did you get your T1 (ie did you import it or do you know who did) and do you know what, if anything, it needed to be registered there? Cheers.

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Hyperblade » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:07 pm

Hey
Turbo2_83 Im interested in the car.
Do you have pictures? And whats the condition like?

I'm after a mint, original condition one. Im in Christchurch
Will pay reasonable money for a good one.

Email me at [email protected]

Cheers Ben

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Postby doggystyle » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

what are the actual import tarrifs as i heard that they are massive for australia thats why theres not many imports

turbo2_83
Forum Participant

Postby turbo2_83 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:29 pm

Well thanks to everyone who responded, between this forum and one other I have a fair idea what to expect. The car leaves here Thursday week and I won't see it until 4-6 weeks after that. Importing it will be easy,
registering it with VicRoads will be the hard bit. After paying GST and customs duty (which the website isn't really clear about exactly how much it is) it looks like I'll have to have side intrusion beams fitted and possibly have a new set of tyres fitted as well. Oh and maybe new seatbelts as well. I have also had to remove the reciever/drier and pipes from the air-con because the import of R12 and related equipment is banned. I will let everyone know how it went once I get it all sorted in Australia, and whether or not I think it was worthwhile...!

Mat

turbo2_83
Forum Participant

Postby turbo2_83 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:52 pm

Well here is my first report from Aussie. The car is with customs and for GST and duty I owe them $522.48 based on my (slightly understated) purchase price of $1800. Once that's paid it goes to quarantine who'll want to steam clean it and that'll be my next cost...

turbo2_83
Forum Participant

Postby turbo2_83 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:53 pm

Passed quarantine without a steam clean: saved 120 bucks! Waiting on engineers...

turbo2_83
Forum Participant

Postby turbo2_83 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:28 pm

...actually quarantine did sting me $79.50 for 'quarantine and inspection fees'...still waiting on the engineers...

turbo2_83
Forum Participant

Postby turbo2_83 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:02 pm

Well the car is here and registered, finally. I will try to list all costs here but no doubt I will forget one or two things so the real amount spent will probably be a little higher than what's written...

Purchase price in $NZ.................$2000
Shipping/Insurance $NZ..............$1200
Customs Duty + GST $AU............$522
Quarantine Fees $AU..................$100
Aircon Degass $AU......................$30
Compliance & Roadworthy $AU.....$3993
Registration $AU.........................$530
Plates (slimline) $AU...................$47
Duty again with rego $AU...........$64
Frustration at waiting so long and forking
out so much $$$$$$$$$$$$$....Pricless...

Total cost: roughly $8500

One expensive city...

Here is what was done for the compliance, from the invoice:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check vehicle for roadworthiness and inspect items as required to pass R.W.C. inspection and test as set out by the relevant authority 'VicRoads'.

Engineers inspection report, including A.D.R. paperwork.

To manufacture new VIN plate and emboss new VIN ID No. to plate, fit new VIN ID plate to vehicle.

Exhaust emission at engine idle speed, CO% test and report.

Repair chipped windscreen as required.

Supply and fit flat external mirror glass to vehicle.

Supply and fit new child restraint anchor points and plugs.

Supply and fit rear seat belt anchorage points for rear passenger lap-sash seat belts.

Supply and fit rear inertia reel seat belts, remove interior trimmings and fit new seat belts. Re-assemble in reverse order. Check operation of new seat belts.

Supply and fit new front/rear windscreen wiper blades, clean and aim rear washer jet.

Dismantle doors and fit anti-intrusion bars into doors as required and re-assemble.

Modify brake warning system to suit A.D.R. requirements.

Replace or re-paint windscreen wiper arms black. (From white).

Supply and fit tyre pressure and wheel rim size placard.

Repair/replace steering lock to operate (lock steering wheel when key is removed).

Supply and fit engine tune up label for engine compartment.

Remove aftermarket brake/accelerator pedal covers.

Remove shock-absorber fasteners, remove worn out and leaking shock absorbers from vehicle, replace shock absorbers with new, re-assemble all in reverse order and secure fasteners, check operation of new shock absorbers.

Remove rear speakers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently the car had to meet stricter requirements because I imported it as a vehicle 15 years or older instead of a Personal Import which I did because I hadn't owned the car for 12 months or more. Besides the shocks the car was/is in good condition. Oh and they dented it just forward of the drivers door a little as well, too small to claim on insurance though. I'm happy to have my City here with me, wouldn't do it again though!

Now if and when something goes wrong I will need lots of help from this forum about what to do because I get the impression that most mechanics here have little idea how to work with the City Turbo engine (correct me if I'm wrong anyone).

Mat

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Postby doggystyle » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:06 am

ooohhh nasty.... thats why jap cars still have a high price in oz.. nz has no tarrifs.. if you sent it back it'd probaly be only half that.. the legend i bought still fetches between 17 and 22k( 94 alpha touring) but cost me 3000 quid(nz 7500.. about the same as cost there too).. they have to protect their domestic market, nz doesnt.. a

Return to “General”