Replaced head gasket on proT

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Crazy2bother
Forum Participant

Replaced head gasket on proT

Postby Crazy2bother » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:42 pm

I replaced my head gasket on Sunday, and the car started first go!

That's the biggest job I've ever done by myself and I got it right, I can't believe it.  Timing is spot on, and with some new spark plugs it runs sweeter than ever.  The head took a couple of swift hits with a hammer and screwdriver before it came unstuck.

Note to any other newbies out there: After you have all of the head bolts (and nuts) out, chances are the head will still be stuck so tight it feels bolted on.  There are a couple of protrusions from the head on the grill side of the engine, and matching ones on the block.  These are NOT mated surfaces, and actually have a gap between them just wide enough for a large screw driver.  Put the screwdriver in carefully and give a couple of decisive whacks, and off comes the head with a nice peeling sound.

I only included this info because I stood around scratching my head for half a week trying to figure out why it wouldn't budge.

BTW: The job took 8 hours, 3 of which were spent cleaning the head and deck with a hand wire brush.  For the love of god, use a grinder and soft wire brush attachment when you do it.  ::)

QikLude
Forum Addict

Re: Replaced head gasket on proT

Postby QikLude » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:40 pm

A rubber mallet with some good whacks on the side of the head is often a better idea.

Cheers

Jw

civic_killer

Postby civic_killer » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:44 pm

yeah i dont like using the word "big screwdriver" and "hammer" when you pulling ya head off  ;D but if it work well  ???

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Hyperblade » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:40 pm

[quote author=QikLude link=board=GEN;num=1103607770;start=0#1 date=12/21/04 at 18:40:57]A rubber mallet with some good whacks on the side of the head is often a better idea.

Cheers

Jw[/quote]

yep agree

Crazy2bother
Forum Participant

Postby Crazy2bother » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:59 pm

I agree guys, and I tried that first believe me. Problem is, whoever did the job last time used a shedload of gasket goo, and it was stuck like super glue.  So yes, please only try the aforementioned method after trying your luck with a rubber mallot. ;)

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:52 pm

The city turbo engine has completely seperated protrutions on the head. So you can just put a rubber mallet under and tap it directly upward.

Theres always the crow-bar if that doesnt work 8)

Return to “General”