Civic T1 not working

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Tim

Civic T1 not working

Postby Tim » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:18 pm

Just gave my 76 civic the t1 transplant. Here is the problem now...

Got the car back on friday and it drove beautifully, at this point i had no music going. i was able to turn the car off and back on again no worries. It got dark and i went out for a spin at this point i fixed my sub and speakers and they were going well. After about 15mins of driving we noticed you could not put your foot down on the accelerator as it would misfire and make popping noises - almost like a fuel cut. Car was turned off but could not start agin.. We thought battery was problem - battery had become fully flat, upon purchasing a 600cc 4wd battery  car started, we did not drive it but it warmed up. from there the car did not start again.

The car starts first thing in the morning when it is cold, you can drive around for as long as you want when it has warmed up but once you turn the car is off it will not start until the following moring or when it is fully cold.  Upon trying to restart the car, the engine cranks but does not turn over.

What we have noticed is that the car is running very rich and we have changed spark plugs but there is no difference. we have tried mucking around with ignition but cant find the marks as mine is two speed civic auto.

Any Suggestions...

Colza
Forum Addict

Re: Civic T1 not working

Postby Colza » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:53 pm

You built a Hondamatic City Turbo :o HAHAHAHAHA! I was always meaning to give that a try just to see what happens. How does it drive?

Have a look at the ECU and see if it has any error codes showing, thats usually a good place to start. No error code means the engine cant be too badly wrong. An error code means you now know exactly what is wrong and can start fixing it :D Handy aye!

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:42 pm

Will give that a try.

Hondamatic turbo runs well, however from 0-40 it has absolutely nothing! Gear ratios must be too long, but from 50 onwards it's good fun.

JohnT
Donating Member

Postby JohnT » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:25 pm

Tim

The issue of an engine not starting when hot can often be a rather tired starter solenoid. They start to lose the ability to pull in the main start circuit and the warmth pushes the winding resistance up. If it is that, the eventual answer is a starter rebuild or a new to you starter, but an inbetween one is to make sure the wires to the starter are nice and tightly connected, as a loose wire on the feed to the solenoid from the switch, or a lousy key circuit will not help.

The key switch that triggers the starter can also be a bitch, on our car all circuits are replaced by relays that get the signal off the starter switch, then provide a good circuit into the actual starter (or fuel pump, or ...)

You need only basic electrical knowledge to get this stuff up and going.

John

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Postby doggystyle » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:21 am

yeh could be just a loose wire or dry solder somewhere as when they heat up they increase in resistance... ive had exactly these sorts of probs and thats what it turned out to be(wasnt with a honda tho)................... you could try running a 3000rpm high stall converter to give you more off the line... it should give heaps more launching power.... a

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:35 pm

You can do the MAD torque convertor launches with the Hondamatics!!! I could get it to squeak the tyres on my EN1 1300 motor!!! :o

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:30 pm

Thanks for input guys.

Car is running good now, the problem was a faultycam angle sensor. Replaced it and goes well.

Yeah i like the hondamatic boxes they are strong despite the crap that everyone says about them.

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Postby doggystyle » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:04 am

i remember spining the wheels on my eb1 hondamatic from 2nd to first at low speeds round corners.... quite surprised i was :o

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:42 pm

That would be with the MASSIVE factory 155 80 R 12's yeah?

Return to “General”