temp gauge high

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Brendan
Admin

temp gauge high

Postby Brendan » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:29 pm

Hello

Just took the newly registered honda :D down the highway and noticed the temp gauge was getting a little high so we turned around and came back after letting it cool down for a bit.  It sits just before the line next to the red mark - probably about 3/4 of the way through the gauge.  

Once we got home and turned off the engine there was a coffee jug boiling sound which we think was steam going into the coolant overflow bottle?  A bit of coolant leaked onto some metal and started steaming.

Any ideas on why it would be getting this hot?  I assume the temp gauge should sit around halfway.

Thanks for any help!
Brendan

eddie
Forum Enthusiast

Re: temp gauge high

Postby eddie » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:46 pm

I would assume that temp should always stay half way is normal. The cooling system work at around 90 degree which is the half way point of most car.

Usually when it get hot is either wrong coolant level, leak, thermo didn't work or the hoses.

But just in case you need a new radiator.

Red Devil Radiator down at Moss Street, Slacks Creek cost around $340, I have just check with them few days ago

eddie
Forum Enthusiast

Postby eddie » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:49 pm

Another thing is that to keep an eye on things it is always good to get some water temp and oil temp meters.

Cost aroud $250 but sometime it better to be safe than sorry dude. In fact I am putting some on the for sale forum later as well.

Henry
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Henry » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:01 am

Brendan, mine runs about the middle of the gauge, only time it has gone over that was stuck in traffic and the fan wasn't working. You can test the thermostat in a jug of water, Pro T one is a different temp. If you take it out, take note of the temp, it should be stamped on it somewhere, and put a note in the info-base. Other things could be water pump, belt tight? or radiator can be flow tested. Timing set right?

AnimaLector
Forum Enthusiast

Postby AnimaLector » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:22 am

SHouldn't be a fan issue if you were on the highway...   once you're up to speed they don't often come on (I don't think) I reackon water pump issue..  
Andy

civic_killer

Postby civic_killer » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:05 am

yeah like everyone said check your thermostat and cheack to make sure you dont have a big air lock in your coolant. Mine goes to 3/4 on the highway but does'nt make boiling noises. hope you figure it out soon and get the city back on the road.

Fader
Admin

Postby Fader » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:10 pm

Hey guys, i drove the car to work today... and it did get slightly over half way, and when i arrived at work the fan was on, so i left it a few minutes, but the temperature didnt seem to drop..

this is strange, because it used to drop straight away when the fan came on.

Im thinking maybe the boys at mercury have played with the timing, it does feel a little advanced to me, would this affect the temperature that much?

The water pump is 'near new' and we installed that only a couple of months back, so i know that is fine, and it is definately spinning. Only other thing i can think is the thermostat may have just broken??

Thanks for the advice!
Chris

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:37 pm

If the fan is coming on then and the water pump is new, then the only things likely to be causing problems are:

radiator cap faulty - something to look at if "A bit of coolant leaked..."

radiator blocked internally, or clogged fins

ignition retarded

new engine not run in?

head gasket blowing (lets hope not)

thermostat not working - can be tested by putting into a pot on the stove with a thermometer. See what temp it startes opening at and what temp it is fully open.

PGNUTA
Forum Enthusiast

Postby PGNUTA » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:21 pm

Yeah like colza said...

I've got no radiator fan on mine and it gets up to about half way at max. (don't ask about the fan ;))

Mostly i've seen this when the radiator is blocked or the head gasket is going.

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:10 pm

The fan only really does anything when the car is at running temp, then left idling for 15mins or so. This is only ever likely to happen in a traffic jam (yay for Auckland) or at a really really gay intersection (yay the one at the end of my road) ::)

GDTYMZ

Postby GDTYMZ » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:41 pm

i would say there is a prob with your thermostat and/or radiator.

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:28 pm

old raditors end up full of crap, probably needs a clean :)

Jw

crooky
Forum Enthusiast

Postby crooky » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:28 pm

Are you losing coolant?  A leaky head gasket will cause bubbling which is visible if you take the radiator cap off.  this will be more apparent if you remove the thermostat as the thermostat has a habit of trapping the bubbles somewhat causing localised variations in temperature.  When this happens and it is just a small leak, your temp gauge usually reads high whilst the water temp in the radiator can be cold! The temp sender for the temp guage on the dash is just on the head side of the thermostat and the hot water and gas trapped there can send it off the charts. This also can pressurise the whole cooling system and stuff water pumps etc.  The boiling jug sound usually happens when you lose water somewhere and the metal not being cooled properly comes into contact with water and instantly boils it.
On the other hand, if you haven't lost much water, it could be a leaky head gasket, building up some pressure and forcing water out somewhere.  When you take the radiator cap off, is there much of a pressure release?
When you put the new head in, did you retension the studs after you ran the car at operating temp?
My old T1 developed a small leak in the head gasket after a couple of weeks of running when I put on a new head and gasket.
The water never boiled or anything, but the temp gauge would just keep rising.
This may not be the prob though.  Its just a matter of sorting through the possibilities and eliminating them one by one.  I'm sure you already know this.   Some of the other suggestions (a blockage, timing etc) sounded more feasible for your situation but i guess the more scenarios you have the better heh?
The temp gauge on the T1 I just sould rarely made it past 1/3 of the way once it was running well.

Good luck

Joel

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Hyperblade » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:37 pm

On the head gasket theme, did you check if your block was level before putting the head back on? I know my block had to be planed.

Kam
Forum Regular

Postby Kam » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:33 pm

If you got air in your radiator it will run hotter.  I think you just got to bleed the air out.

Return to “General”