Manifold under contruction...

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Colza
Forum Addict

Manifold under contruction...

Postby Colza » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:12 pm

Thats where its at at the moment. Just have to finish porting the iside of that and then weld the new plenum on :D

Theoretically this manifold should flow somewhere in the region of around 1.8 - 2.0 times as much air as the standard city manifold. In reality i should imagine it will probably end up somewhere in the region of 1.5 times due to the shortcuts in manufacture to keep the cost down ::) but 1.5 times more air is plenty enough for me ;D

Someone help find me a T2 throttle body! I need one ASAP!!!

EDIT:
Oh, and I need to clean up the outside a little ::)

EDIT2:
And its not really as crap as it looks in that photo ::) I swear its much nicer in real life!

JohnT
Donating Member

Re: Manifold under contruction...

Postby JohnT » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:18 pm

If some kind person would tell me how to tell if I have T1 or T2 throttle bodies, I might be able to put COlza out of his pain. I've got two or three bodies, but don't know which ....

John T

Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:57 pm

I know I have a T2 throttle body because I put the old T1 throttle body on mine because of vaccum hose reasons.

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Postby doggystyle » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:02 am

[quote author=Colza link=board=GEN;num=1110694341;start=0#0 date=03/13/05 at 17:12:21]Image

Thats where its at at the moment. Just have to finish porting the iside of that and then weld the new plenum on :D

Theoretically this manifold should flow somewhere in the region of around 1.8 - 2.0 times as much air as the standard city manifold. In reality i should imagine it will probably end up somewhere in the region of 1.5 times due to the shortcuts in manufacture to keep the cost down ::) but 1.5 times more air is plenty enough for me ;D

Someone help find me a T2 throttle body! I need one ASAP!!!

EDIT:
Oh, and I need to clean up the outside a little ::)

EDIT2:
And its not really as crap as it looks in that photo ::) I swear its much nicer in real life![/quote]

looks good bro.. see modding existing manifolds insnt hard huh.... are you gonna run dual or single tb's.... i had an idea for a throttle body fabricated from a block of alu consisting of the cvcc butterfly inbetween two 40-45mm butterflys with the cvcc having its own extention to the flange plate like what youll be doing with the two primarys.... get what im talking about?.... if i had a digital pen id draw it for you... but i dont.. maybe i'll buy one ::)

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:29 pm

I will be using a single 60mm butterfly which will be on the end/side of the plenum (standard position for a ZC, but opposite end). I need 2 throttle bodies because i will be using 2 cvcc bits. One will be in the standard position and have the injector attatched and possibly a vac hose or 2. This one will have the butterfly removed and act solely as an injector. The second one will be mounted on the side of the plenum where the main throttle is so i can attatch the linkage that controls the cvcc butterfly. This one will be just a cvcc throttle butterfly with a blanked off injector. If that makes any sense ::)

The idea is that i didnt want to move the cvcc injector miles away from its factory location, but i would have to try and set up 2 throttle cables if i was going to try and run the cvcc butterfly that far away from the main throttle.

John T:
If you have a look at the passenger side of the throttle body, just above where the cvcc injector bolts on there is a vac hose coming off. This is for a T2 throttle.

Doggy:
Bring on the digital pen!!! Or MS Paint?

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:22 pm

Well, the last of the welding happened today 8) Just bear in mind this is design as a functional part, not an aesthetic part ;) as long as my car goes faster, i dont care how it looks! Seriously on the inside that thing is beautifully ported and matched to flow a whole shit load of air, its just a little 'weldey' on the outside ::)

Also thought id put up a pic of the hybrid throttle body, with the CVCC injector tacked onto the side, i will tap it and run a brass hosetail off the back of the CVCC injector, the turbo side is yet to be decided, maybe TIG a bit of 20mm pipe on or something. Meh. The throttle mechanisms are lined up so i just have to make up a linnkage between the 2 (maybe reuse the original one) and it should all work out nicely ;D

(The throttle mechanisms dont actually line up in that pic cos the circlip is not on the back of the cvcc mechanism and it just sits where it feels liek at the moment ::) with the clip in place it lines up, or should do...

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:39 pm

Oh, and yes it is VERY long. No it wont fit in a City, and from the looks of it it wouldnt fit in a 1st gen Civic either. According to the 'eyechrometer' it will clear my firewall by about 10mm :o fingers crossed aye...

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Postby doggystyle » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:34 am

hey im not trying to dig but it looks you made it outa silver playdoh ;)...... but im just wondering why didnt you bend it a 90degree up

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:09 am

[quote author=doggystyle link=board=GEN;num=1110694341;start=0#7 date=03/20/05 at 04:34:58]...looks you made it outa silver playdoh ;)...[/quote]

Silver playdoh ROCKS for making manifolds with 8)

Thats just the way it all seemed to fit together the nicest. I assembled it how it wanted to go, and then checked that it fitted in my car, which hopefully it will! As far as airflow goes, 90 deg bends are generally not what you want. The original ZC manifold did have an upwards curve in it, but as the throttle comes out on the drivers side in that car, the whole plenum has to be flipped upside down to work with the city setup. This means that instead of curving upward, it all curves down and that sort of averages it out into a straight line with a mild 'S' bend inside it. The real test is gonna be in how it actually performs! I reckon it has at least 2X the air flow potential, but i have a feeling i wont see any real gains until i get a bigger turbo on. Which will be a month or so down the track because money is a bitch ::)

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:31 pm

Well, it is bolted on. It DOES fit ;D quite comfortably actually. Throttle cable and all that fiddly shit is pretty much done. Just need to get the last bit of welding on the CVCC throttle done :) cant wait!!!

Some interesting news, it seems it may infact have been a B16 manifold not a ZC one. I will hopefully confirm that in the next day or so, its kinda hard now cos theres not much left of it ::)

Thats where it all sits minus my CVCC injector. Mmmm, 2.5" intercooler piping ;D

And this is a somewhat confused City Turbo throttle cable bracket ;)

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:30 pm

looking good eh :)

Im keen to hear how it goes!

Cheers

Jw

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:19 pm

Once i have payed off my overdraft from this mission, ill be queuing up for one of those fancy turbos of yours QikLude :D

Did you get a price from the guys in the end?

EDIT:
And it has been confirmed as a gen 1 B16 manifold and throttle body. The ZC's only came out with 55mm butterflies.

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:34 pm

i went looking for them but the guy i normaly deal with was away..
and they moved the car turbo side of things to another building!

will find out some time soon :)

Cheers

Jw

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:06 pm

Anyone here a plumber?

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:24 pm

Well i started it. And it went, first crank.

So thats not too bad.

What it did not do however was STOP going.

As in revved is F**KING nuts off while making fantastic "im inhaling HUGE quantities of air" noises. My boost guage hit the top of the scale at somewhere round 2.5 bar :o

Not sure whats going on, its dark, have a look in the morning.

EDIT:
Thankfully massive holes in the plenum are fairl easy to loacte thanks to the "SSSSCCCCCCRRRREEEEAAAAMMMM" noise they make when you start the car ::) Good ol Loctite Aluminium Epoxy Filler is here to save the day.

Return to “General”