Turbo removal help

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Silver2
Forum Regular

Turbo removal help

Postby Silver2 » Wed May 18, 2005 8:24 pm

Got one nut left and i can't get it undone, yep it's the one in behind the turbo in the top right.  Have had a spanner made up to bend round in behind but it still won't move.  Have you guys got any suggestion on how to losen it, have tried CRC and that hasn't worked.  I don't really want to take the manifold off, can i cut the nut and break it off.
Any help would be appreciated as this is the only thing that is stopping me from getting the turbo off.

Colza
Forum Addict

Re: Turbo removal help

Postby Colza » Wed May 18, 2005 8:32 pm

Yeah, that one.

Errr...

Swear at it?

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Hyperblade » Wed May 18, 2005 8:33 pm

Take the rear engine mount bracket off the one that holds the mount, that is attached to the engine, double one. you can then get a spanner in, and move it at least 1cm, if you need leverage try putting a longer spanner on it, and giving it short sharp pulls.

When putting the turbo back on make sure you use coppercoat on all the bolts, makes it a hell of a lot easier to get it off again.

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Wed May 18, 2005 8:34 pm

I dont think Copper-kote actually does much aye. From the times ive used it, it takes about a week to turn to powder. Doesnt hurt any though...

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Wed May 18, 2005 8:39 pm

Oh hell yes it works.

Forgot to say the spanner then goes dwon from the direction where the rear enigne mount it. It seriously is the easiest option for the last bolt. taking a turbo off is just practise, and it gets easier the second time, knowing what to take off, eg CAT, mount. before actually taking the turbo off.

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Wed May 18, 2005 9:20 pm

yeah that nut is a tough one hey  ::)
i got it undone by using an old ring spanner cut in half witch i then placed a long piece of timber with a slot in the end on and gave it some curry with a big hammer from below ::) crude but effective
also repeditive tapping with a small hammer can help the crc to penitrate
good luck brother and remember if you get the shits go do something else for a while i recomend drinking beer ;)
(i skinned my nuckles rather bad in a heated moment 2 weeks ago undoing that very nut :'()

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Postby doggystyle » Thu May 19, 2005 4:59 am

thats pretty much what i did cept it was a ripco spanner, but their tools deserve it ;D.... one tough nut to crack?..... yes it is

EDIT:... sorry to repeat the joke ::)

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:53 pm

[quote author=Colza link=board=GEN;num=1116411899;start=0#3 date=05/18/05 at 20:34:44]I dont think Copper-kote actually does much aye. From the times ive used it, it takes about a week to turn to powder. Doesnt hurt any though...[/quote]

try moly kote.

Cheers

fireslug
Forum Regular

that last turbo nut

Postby fireslug » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:21 pm

arrrrghhhhh, i cant even get the nuts off the cat coverter off. Gave em heapsa crc, n jest gotta wait. It worked with the exhaust nuts

I hope the advise i read about that last nut, will help.

James

Postby James » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:26 pm

a good quality HEX socket (ie NOT multifit) will do wonders with exhaust bolts, youll either undo them or break them. The powerbuilt rattlegun sockets from repco work really well and are pretty affordable. They are the blacky coated ones with the thick as walls.

Return to “General”