Head gasket

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Glenn_Biscan
Forum Enthusiast

Head gasket

Postby Glenn_Biscan » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:38 pm

how hard is it 2 change the head gasket in the car ?

is it worth taking the motor out 2 save time ?

you can definately use the N/A gasket right? or is there a better alternative?

mmm i wonder what the came lobes will be like as well..... last head gasket i done on a city turbo motor the cvcc lobe was ratshit

any1 got any views on how to do this post em up

cheers thanks

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Re: Head gasket

Postby Hyperblade » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:53 pm

Depends if you getting the head and block planed, if you are, yes taking the engine out is the easy option, its a lot easier to work on. Its very easy to take the engine out. not much to it.

If your just doing the headgasket then it can be done in place, but there is still no easy way to do it. you just leave the manifold attached to the head. and pull the whole lot off at once.

taking the turbo off is also a good thing to do at the time. Almost a must. allows you to actually get at some of the engine.

make sure you copperkoat all the turbo bolts before you put it back together, makes life simpler down the track.  

James

Postby James » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:39 pm

If you can afford it go for a silver anti-sieze compound as opposed to a copper one, the copper ones get munted by heat.

Usually, unless the engine has gotten very hot the block wont need a plane, I recon just do it with it in the car. Remeber to drain the coolant and plug the oil holes with clean rags before you go scraping gasket down them!

For the small oil holes foam earplugs and a pair of tweezers work quite well.

Taking the turbo off would also make the whole head a lot lighter and more managable to lift off, try winding the studs out before you take it off aswell, otherwise it can jam up if you dont lift it off dead straight.

Glenn_Biscan
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Glenn_Biscan » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:43 pm

mmm these anti-sieze compounds are new to me, i normally just wd40 everything

ill b sure to get some of this stuff you speak of as im sure i will end up doing this again

any1 buy new headstuds?? will it stop me from busting head gaskets all the time?

James

Postby James » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:48 am

New Headstuds are good, because when you scrwe them into the block they stretch a little and work harden, this is how they are designed, so every time you re-use them you get less even pressure and it doesnt squeeze it as tightly.

I dont think you can buy new honda ones anymore, I have a feeling you have to get some from ARP, they mix and match you up a set or something.

Turbo3
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Turbo3 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:11 am

Just did mine recently with the engine in. The head and mainfold is a cumbersome thing to lift off. Definately a two person job!   :P
Left the turbo on and unbolted the cat (meooooww!)  :o. Worked out ok, but there's a tricky bolt to find at the back of it.
Would recommend new studs or bolts, but not sure where to source them. Previuos gasket only lasted around 6 months, probably due to studs stretching. May be retiring my blue T2, so not an issue for me.
Pete 8)

BOOSTBOY
Forum Addict

Postby BOOSTBOY » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:34 am

Put ARP head studs in it if you plan on running any serious amount of boost.

Glenn_Biscan
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Glenn_Biscan » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:58 pm

any other stuff i should do while its all apart ?

James

Postby James » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:21 am

Could have a mild port and polish done on the head? Short side radius, casting dags that sort of thing, thats if it hasnt already been done.

Could also see how much head material is left and if there is a bit bump the compression, it will help you make the power you want, but you may want to keep it stock so you can run more boost, causing raising your compression lower the amount of boost you can run...

Glenn_Biscan
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Glenn_Biscan » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:30 pm

i wont be running over 19psi this time round

yes might have to do a bit of headwork, see what its like when i come back from the snow next week.

Have attempted to get ARP headstuds but seems to be a most difficult thing to find, but i am able to get new 1's from honda so i should imagine they will do the job if im only running 19psi of boost.

mayb some port matching of the manifolds would be good as well

Return to “General”