Air Filters

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Muppet
Forum Enthusiast

Air Filters

Postby Muppet » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:26 pm

How restictive are the standard Turbo II Airfilters compared to after market pod filters, or is it better to run without a filter and run straight cold air induction.

Also I've got a pod filter but its a bit big to fit in behind the passengers  headlight, because of the aircon/engine mount, how much can I chop out, if any or should I just put a non aircon mount in?

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Re: Air Filters

Postby Hyperblade » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:30 pm

You are an idiot if you do not run the car with a filter.

Your turbo sucks alot of air in, and that would pick up all the dust off the ground, instantly screwing your bearings.

Running without one is not even an option

jay
Forum Enthusiast

Postby jay » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:42 pm

i would say the best filter would be one that gets cold air and not hot enginbay air so if you can mount a pod in a spot where it will be sucking in cool air and if you carnt fit a pod in just get a cold air intake going to your standard air box its up to you but ether way you should run a filter so not to get shit go in your turbo

Henry

Postby Henry » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:49 pm

We've been over this one before. Uni Filter make an element from the same material that they use for their pod filters, that fits in the standard air box. So why would you change the box. You can fit an air intake tube from a Pro-T which runs from the top of the left headlight and comes into the engine room right where you are now picking up your air from, all the holes are already there. Never run without a filter!!!

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:00 am

[quote author=Henry link=board=GEN;num=1125555970;start=0#3 date=09/01/05 at 20:49:23]We've been over this one before. Uni Filter make an element from the same material that they use for their pod filters, that fits in the standard air box. So why would you change the box. You can fit an air intake tube from a Pro-T which runs from the top of the left headlight and comes into the engine room right where you are now picking up your air from, all the holes are already there. Never run without a filter!!![/quote]

Been meaning to ask you about that, is it an Aus only thing? Got a part number or something?

Muppet
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Muppet » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:07 pm

Is a pod better than an after market replacement filter.

Has any one got a non air con right hand engine mount?

lky
Forum Regular

Postby lky » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:17 pm

yes , i did remove the a/c, and then i put my lovely BMC air fliter on that area.....sounds good, works good, looks good.....!!!!!

si
Donating Member

Postby si » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:15 pm

[quote author=HyperBlade link=board=GEN;num=1125555970;start=0#4 date=09/02/05 at 07:00:01]

Been meaning to ask you about that, is it an Aus only thing? Got a part number or something?
[/quote]

http://www.unifilter.com.au/make.asp?make=HONDA
Theres the link to them.

James

Postby James » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:49 pm

My air filter (pod) is on the drivers side of the car behind the headlight, where the battery used to go, then it runs a 4" pipe down to the turbo over the gearbox, sounds wicked, heaps of cold air, wayyy more engine bay room with the battery in the boot. I tihnk that the stock airbox is probably reasonably restrictive, although it sounds ilke in Aus you can get defected for pretty much changing anything on your car so I can see how a Unifilter element might come in handy there.

Glenn_Biscan
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Glenn_Biscan » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:37 pm

yes im about to go to unifilter 2morow and pickup 1 of these filters

im hoping that it flows better than the standard filter

they are asking around $58 for the filter + oil

may be able to get the pigeon sound coming out of my standard airbox now :D

Muppet
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Muppet » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:24 pm

Yeah I know I was stupid to even suggest running with out a filter but it would have given brillant air flow.

Just had a play round with may intake system today and heres what I have done
 I've left every thing as standard but I have cut up the original air filter and binned the main filter, fitted the breather segment and fitted some pantyhose over the intake for filteration. A cheap way to gain more horsepower.
;D ;D ;D

James

Postby James » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:34 pm

When colza and I installed the t04 on his car we ran it with the mesh from a tea strainer, hose clipper over the intake of the turbo, just to keep out bugs and rocks :P

Smithy
Forum Addict

Postby Smithy » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:38 pm

As I see it the car came with factory cold air induction so why remove it for a pod filter sucking in hot engine bay air!?!

thats why I got a UniFilter ordered and sent up when I first got my  T2.

I'm in Brisbane, got it ordered through autobahn. But further on this I've seen on some NZ online car parts sites that K&N do replacement filters too.
So if you prefer the dryer less messy panel filters chase up the NZ sites, the last one I saw someone posted its link up here somewhere.  Otherwise get a UniFilter, my only problem is the oil stuff you squeeze through it.  Ikky. and if theres a little to much it drains out the botom of panel box and onto rocker cover.    :P
...BUt they do catch the dirt very well I might add.

Return to “General”