Grinding noises

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
DR86
Forum Enthusiast

Grinding noises

Postby DR86 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:41 pm

I have a wierd grinding noise coming from my front left wheel. What is it? I think it could be the bearing itself is stuffed. When i jack up the car i can wiggle the tire on the hub. How can I fix it?

And the spot welds on the control arm support came off, made a mess of my CV joint (all on the left of the car). Fixed it temporarily with bolts and screws. Need to weld it properly. Camber is about 3 degrees negative on the left wheel!!!

Chhun

Colza
Forum Addict

Re: Grinding noises

Postby Colza » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:52 pm

What did you hit and how hard?

campbell
Forum Enthusiast

Postby campbell » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:42 pm

Probably bearings if you can wobble it around.

I do hope that you aren't driving that around?

Bearing replacement, as I recall it, needs a decent press.

If it didn't wobble, an awful grinding noise can arise when your brake pads are down to their backing plates.  Or the brake disc is totally rooted.  I've heard of discs like ours actually wearing away a whole side and the pad rubbing on the actual ventilation webs!

Good luck and fix it soon.

Campbell

PS.  Did you know that a VK Commodore keys can unlock our door locks?  Which means that just about any spare key can!

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:00 pm

sounds like bearings or possibly cv by the fact you can wiggle the wheel around
my brake pads ran out the other day because they were put on the wrong way round so the little metal tab that normally tells you there on the way out never did its job ::) and they were making a nice grinding noise, and not allways when applying the brake
hey campbell keep quiet about the key situation  ;)two of my mates keys open my doors=not good

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Postby doggystyle » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:29 am

[quote author=campbell link=board=GEN;num=1107416504;start=0#2 date=02/03/05 at 21:42:05]Probably bearings if you can wobble it around.

If it didn't wobble, an awful grinding noise can arise when your brake pads are down to their backing plates.  Or the brake disc is totally rooted.  I've heard of discs like ours actually wearing away a whole side and the pad rubbing on the actual ventilation webs!

[/quote]

heard?... ive seen it.. tho not on a city, but was still a honda............
take off your wheel and have a sniff around in there.. sounds like yo bearing but  yo need to check it... dunno what they cost to fix.. if you take the hub out it would be a simple pressing job

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:25 pm

My local engine rebuilder pressed some bearings in for me for $15 a hub. While that wont break the bank, buying wheel bearings from Repco will! Try 3 times the price of a bearing shop. Don't go to repco!

John_S.
Forum Enthusiast

Postby John_S. » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:49 pm

I guess you guys don't have anything like Harbour Freight in Austrailia, or NZ, but here in USA they are a nationwide chain. Most of their stuff is from China...what isn't...but they sell a 20 ton Hydralic press for 150.00US on sale. I've already saved that much doing the bushings and bearings myself to pay myself back the money, plus I don't have to worry if THEY know what they are doing. BTW to get someone to R and I front hub bearings in my area is around 50.00 US., labor only and thats if I was to do the assem and disassem, so I'd say you guys get a bargin.
I must say...and I really hate to say it...but you guys seem a lot more willing to EARN your money. Here in my area, USA, everyone wants a lot for what basically amounts to nothing laborwise.  Any kind of custom work is sky high, and it's hard to find anyone who can do it, but maybe that's just here in MY town.  It's really a bummer to me because I know that is not what origionally made my country strong, but what is worse I know those attitudes sure as hell won't keep us strong. :-X

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Postby doggystyle » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:14 am

yeh... i read about it all the time..... by the way its ripco and supercrap.... i used to get my bearings from a place called seiko(?) bearings in chch on the corner of brougham st and...... gasson st.. for anybody in chch ;D

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:26 am

I bought mine at Seiko up here in Auckland. They are good.

DR86
Forum Enthusiast

Postby DR86 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:53 pm

Yeah i do drive it around. I have no choice in order to get to work. Its a bit scary at 100k or over, wobbles the steering wheel slowly, and when i hit an irregularty in the road (piece of crap roads here in bris) wheel tends to pull in that direction. Pain in the arse to drive.

So a bearing shop can get a replacement bearing? "Ripco", i like that one doggystyle. $15 a hub Colza? Dunno if its that friendly round here.

Cheers guys.

Smithy
Forum Addict

Postby Smithy » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:18 am

I'm now (last several months) getting a sort of vibration of shudder comin gfrom what feels to be the front left wheel. Usually once you get above 50 or so. Its also the wheel the brake pads wore down on and scratched the disk up.

Haven't noticed movement in the wheel or excessive camber
so do you think it might be wheel bearings?

Noticed also comments with Brisbane, anyone here got them changed around here?  how much for front bearings would I be looking at including labour.

Also when turning I'm hearing a clicking/tapping sound, kinda like if I had a large stone stick in the tyre? could this be related!?

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:01 am

Clicking when turning is a positive sound your outboard CV joint is screwed. I think they had the same shafts and joints as non-turbos so you might be able to find one good second hand.

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:44 am

Shafts are excatly the same size, to T2, T1 and N/a Not sure about srtength deiffernce, but they are interchangeable.

James

Postby James » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:08 pm

Well there you have it. If you want to break the bank you might even be able to get a new one off Honda!

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Postby doggystyle » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:23 am

[quote author=bigelboe link=board=GEN;num=1107416504;start=0#13 date=08/10/05 at 12:08:52]Well there you have it. If you want to break the bank you might even be able to get a new one off Honda![/quote]

or get a hammer.......

p.s. i would advise against driving fast whilst having severe bearing/cv problems..... could not be in your best interests..... a.... especially on dodgy roads

Return to “General”