FCD-Boost controller-Extra Injector Controller

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
turbocab
Donating Member

Re: FCD-Boost controller-Extra Injector Controller

Postby turbocab » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:25 pm

any news on this little project of yours bigelboe?very keen to put one of these little puppies to work on the new t2
getting sick of accidently hitting fuel cut and almost going thru the wind screen ;D
would the slightly larger rodeo turbo make a difference to its aplication
along with future planed mods,cam upgrade,possibly port and polish

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:19 am

FCD is 100% working, the boost controller I am hopeing to have going today, I have been working on it the last few days, just need to get a new solenoid.

As for the extra injector thing, I need to do some more fabrication to make that work so that is still a while away yet.

At this stage it will probably end up as being a micro-computer controlled Extra injector, So it will pretty much be a piggy back ECU. Hopefully will be user tunable and price tag will still be around 100-150, which is a damn reasonable price for programmable fueling and a custom made FCD and boost controller  :P

PS: It may be possible to have a rev limiter- shift light controller as an extra option  ;D

James

Postby James » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:22 am

Sorry I didnt answer your question, As long as I do go with the programmable extra injector controller your turbo size will not matter, it will just mean you will have to tweak the fuel values yourself, probably on a dyno to get it just right.

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:05 pm

cool cant wait 8)

kartracer
Forum Regular

Postby kartracer » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:55 pm

hi bigelboe we would be keen to buy one of your devices. were in auckland and our project will hopefully hit the road in december some time. fcd and boost control would be what we need...not extra fueling at this stage. Do u think you'll have any for sale by then?

James

Postby James » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:33 am

Depends how fast I get my act together. Its likely I will do tho. I just have to finalise the boost controller and then keep them in my car testing for a while just to make sure there are no bugs. The boost controller seems to be all fine so far, I think im gonna modify the FCD tho, just because the ECU's voltage seems to be a bit drifty.

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:51 am

Just a quick question, is there anyway of getting the controller to ouput the boost? Eg if you are controlling it based on V then you must be able to calculate what the boost actually is. Eg allow output to a laptop or similar.

Reason i ask is, because im a cheap ass, also i don't want an aftermarket boost guage in the car.

Possible? Thinking on it, it could probably all be done in a program exrternal to the device, if you allow output from it that is.

James

Postby James » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:48 pm

Yeah I will list the features it is going to have at present.

Fully adjustable mapped extra injector, a table of locations with boost pressure up one side and revs along the other side, looks like it will have about 128 points in the table, each point will be adjustable from 0% fuel to 100% fuel.

Support to drive any number of injectors required from one upwards.

Computer syncronisation, via a serial port will be able to download the current table of fuel values and edit them at will, will also display revs and manifold pressure on computer.

LCD display, backlit 2 line 32 character LCD display outputting revs, MAP and % fueling, fuel adjustable via push buttons on the display.

Optional 8 segment LED boost display.

Electronic boost control with programmable boost set on a table versus revs, just like the $1000 APEXi ones.

Fuel Cut Shifter

Of course all of this stuff isnt free and each option past the base one will cost more, just because the bits cost more and it will take me longer to put together.

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:05 pm

Nice.

For mine this is what i want.

The main unit.
EBC
Comp Synch.

I would like the extra injector feature, but not operational. So i can use it at a later date.

I don't need any displays, what i want to do is set it up, via laptop, and once it is running how i want it, i will not touch it. But i want to be able to get data out of it for logging and to see how it is running.

Because i want to keep my car orig, im not going for any aftermarket guages etc, so once i see that it is working fine and going to the correct boost level via the laptop, ill just leave it. If i need to check the boost i can always just plug in the laptop again.

Bascially my aim with this unit is to run 12 - 14psi on my car now. And once i get another t2 in a couple of years, ill switch it over to that and do the full setup for circuit racing.

Thoughts?

James

Postby James » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:00 am

if you are into data logging then it is easy enough to add some more inputs to the unit and make it mroe of a logger. It has 8 inputs for sensors, MAP is already using one so you could have the temperature sensor, air temperature sensor and the EGO sensor if you want.

There isnt enough space on the chip to actually record it all, although It could do it on a secondary memory chip, but you could definately read the values real time into the computer and log them there. If you want to be able to control your boost accurately down low I would suggest taking your turbo off and porting out the wastegate to the edge of the flapper, it means you have a lot more control of what is happening down around 10 psi and below, expecially on stock zorst.

So have i got this right, you want the extra injector function sitting there ready to be used, the EBC function working, no external displays and you want to be able to pull off the data with your computer and program the boost control and eventually the extra injector with it too. And you want to be able to log yours revs and boost and possibly more on the computer.

Oh yeah I forgot to add FCD to the above list of things it will do, will you want that aswell?

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:30 am

[quote author=bigelboe link=board=GEN;num=1118296621;start=30#39 date=10/25/05 at 09:00:01]
So have i got this right, you want the extra injector function sitting there ready to be used, the EBC function working, no external displays and you want to be able to pull off the data with your computer and program the boost control and eventually the extra injector with it too. And you want to be able to log yours revs and boost and possibly more on the computer.

Oh yeah I forgot to add FCD to the above list of things it will do, will you want that aswell?
[/quote]

FCD = yes.

All sounds good :) Basically the more stuff i can access and find data on through the laptop the better :) saves having gauges, which then become a target for theives ;)

now since im running a modified exhaust, but with stock dump, will this affect what you mentioned with the wastegate?

James

Postby James » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:20 pm

yeah, stock dump *should* restrict flow enough to allow the wastegate to control the boost.

Cause the deal is, with the stock dump the wastegate can flow a certain percentage of what the main turbine can, when you put a decent dump on the main turbine can flow lots more, but the wastegate is still a 12mm hole so it cant flow the same proportion that it used to be able to, hence rising boost and stuff.

I would highly recommend you run an aftermarket dump, its basicly very cheap power, antilag and efficiency, although you did say you were going for the factory style :)

James

Postby James » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:37 am

This is a preview of what the fueling tables for the controller will look like and you guys chance to suggest any changes you might like in the rpm or MAP values. You will be able to request custom ranges with your controller but that will make the PC interface more difficult. If everyone can agree that these values are ok then that will simplify things.

I have managed to get pretty good resolution in the rev range, better than most of the cheap aftermarket ECU's but Im not sure if every 1psi will offer enough tuning resolution for the MAP values, let me know what you think, you cant have any more values on either axis but you can have certain ranges with better resolution and stuff, like you could have steps of 0.1PSI if you want, except it would only go up 1.6 PSI for the whole thing, if you get what i mean.

Sorry its not totally filled up but i got bored trying to think of fueling values.

255 is max fuel, 0 is none, injector will probably only start opening at about 20-30 because of it taking a finite amount of time to open.

robg
Forum Enthusiast

Postby robg » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:41 pm

so whens this baby ready for sale?

James

Postby James » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:09 pm

Fuel cut defender and basic boost controller will be available in march, as for the programmable one Im not sure, a lot of development still has to be done as I havn't been able to do any as I have been getting my car ready to paint, and I dont want to be selling something that isn't thoroghly tested and such.

Return to “General”