FCD-Boost controller-Extra Injector Controller

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
turbocab
Donating Member

Re: FCD-Boost controller-Extra Injector Controller

Postby turbocab » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:23 pm

would a moddified cam effect the aplication of your thingamabob on my car?

robg
Forum Enthusiast

Postby robg » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:58 am

id be keen for one too!

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:24 am

It may affect it slightly turbocab, but im sure I can sort out a bit more fuel for your application ;D

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:32 pm

As soon as its up and tested ill definately be up for the full set-up injector and all.

Good work

James

Postby James » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:56 pm

Just an update. I have completed my new extra injector intake, ill post some pics of my new induction system on the weekend, its mighty flowy. Its got 2" from the turbo to the frount mount, then 2.5" from the front mount to the modified PGM-F1 thingie, and when I say modified, I mean serisouly modified.

I cut the top off, welded on a 2.5" bend going the opposite direction (took 3 goes to get a tight enough bend so it didn't foul the bonnet). Then i spent a few hours with the die grinder making stuff smooth, all in all it should flow a LOT btter than the stock deal. All in all I have spent about 6 hours making it, a lot harder than I expected, hopefully its worth it. ;D

The extra injector setup currently uses a B16 injector in a cvcc injector housing, look for this all going in about a month or two.

Cheers

James

Postby James » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:33 am

The FCD part is finished. It works brilliantly the picture below is an oscilloscope trace of it in action the blue trace is the input signal which is varying from 0 to 5 volts (what the MAP sensor does) and the yellow trace is the ouput of my circuit which rises perfectly with the blue trace until it gets to 3.2 volts where it stops rising (just before boost cut)

The two traces arent exactly on top of each other because i moved the blue one up so you could see the yellow one under it.

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:15 pm

Sweet!!! Nice work.

Smithy
Forum Addict

Postby Smithy » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:57 pm

sorry Im a bit dumb when it comes to how this all works.

Is where the line levels off where your device interupts the signal? And where blue line peaks the boost cut?
If so does this leveling off effect fuel mixture ie. lean it out any as computer reading a 3.2 volt measure (right)?
I guess thats where extra injector comes in... urm will extra one read boost still and rise accordingly ?!?!
am I on the right track ? ,,,could you elaborate this all for us a little please!!   Oh Im interested in a unit too, wouldnt mind getting one when you come over in Nov.    ;)

James

Postby James » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:40 am

Ok so Ill give you a wee lesson on how the computer fuels.

The computer decides what fuel to give the engine by looking at a number of sensors. The throttle position sensor, the rev's, engine temperature, air temperature and manifold pressure. This last one, manifold pressure is one of the main factors when you are on boost. Now the stock ECU with stock injectors can fuel up to abour 14.5-15psi of boost. At this point of boost a saftey measure called boost cut comes in to play. This is the engine deciding that you are going to damage it and cutting all fuel to the engine, this is not really what we want to happen if we want to run 20psi!

So what my FCD does is when the map sensor, which gives out a signal ranging from 0-5 volts, reaches 3.2 volts, which corresponds with a reading of 14.5 PSI it clamps this signal, and stops it from rising. So to look at the graph in relation to this. The blue line is the map sensors output as the pressure increases and decreases on it, it is ranging from about 150mm of mecury vacuum to about 34PSI boost (0-5volts).

The yellow line is the output of my circuit, clamping it to 3.2 volts to fool the computer into thinking you have boosted up to 14.5PSI and stopped dead.

All of this is no good unless you can provide the extra fuel to run more boost. I have it from authority on the subject, the factory fuel system, in good nick provides enough fuel for upto about 17psi, because the computer fuels a bit rich at 14.5PSI. In my car at the moment I am running about 5psi extra fuel pressure so i *hope* that I am getting enough fuel to run the 1.1BAR of boost I am running.

What my extra injector controller will do it open an extra injector at 14.5 psi and gradually increase the amount of extra fuel added as the boost and revs increase, this stops the engine leaning and damaging itself and allows us to run more boost. When I have built it, I will tune it on a dyno to check to see I am getting good mixtures and not detonating.

jay
Forum Enthusiast

Postby jay » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:47 pm

mate if you get this working i will be in for one to, so far it sounds sweet good luck

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:32 pm

Just thought I'd nip back and have a read of whats been going on in my absence. That oscilloscope trace is looking awesome mate, well done! 8)

Hope the wee beast is treating you well ;D

robg
Forum Enthusiast

Postby robg » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:41 am

so whens this bad boy gonna be ready for sale?Im about ready for it becaues ill hopefully have my exhaust and intercooler done in the next week or so...

James

Postby James » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:21 pm

Not for a while mate, I have run into some issues with my extra injector mounting on my car, namely that the injector bolts on in such a way that it is trying to get through the bonnet, not quite sure what I am going to do to fix it, might end up biutchering my bonnet.

Link electronics sell a turbo extra injector controller, its not cheap tho around $600 from memory, keep an eye out for a second hand one.

As for your car, I would install a air/fuel guage of some form, and then see how high you can boost on standard fueling before you start to lean out.

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:03 pm

[quote author=bigelboe link=board=GEN;num=1118296621;start=15#27 date=09/09/05 at 15:21:25]Not for a while mate, I have run into some issues with my extra injector mounting on my car, namely that the injector bolts on in such a way that it is trying to get through the bonnet, not quite sure what I am going to do to fix it, might end up biutchering my bonnet.

Link electronics sell a turbo extra injector controller, its not cheap tho around $600 from memory, keep an eye out for a second hand one.

As for your car, I would install a air/fuel guage of some form, and then see how high you can boost on standard fueling before you start to lean out.[/quote]

what about installing the injector in the IC piping like on glens car?

James

Postby James » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:58 pm

it kind of is in the piping, just the end of it, ill take a pic of it tomorrow and post it.

I put it there rather than furthur back in the piping so i dont have probs with response and fuel pooling. I would rather have put it after the throttle plates, but its kinda hard to fit there.

Return to “General”