T1 Problem

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
lx2si
Forum Participant

T1 Problem

Postby lx2si » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:06 pm

Hey Guys

In relation to the wanted to buy i posted earlier..

I think (not sure) that the turbo has seized or something, im not too informed on the mechanics of turbos.

The car has been sitting around in a shed for 2 years and then drivin for a bit then sat some more. When started the boost guage is on full all the time + i can't hear any turbo noise when revvin' the car.

Any Help ?

Cheers.

turbocab
Donating Member

Re: T1 Problem

Postby turbocab » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:36 pm

comon problem with those crappy digi boost guages most of them will have some sort of fault.
to check the turbo you will have to pull off the intake pipe thats the one coming from the air filter and stick your hand down,put your fingers inside the turbo and see if you can spin the turbine if you can spin it freely then give it a tug back and forth and a general wiggle in all directions.then report back with your findings ;)
good luck

lx2si
Forum Participant

Postby lx2si » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:04 pm

Bad news then i guess. I just took off the hose and tried to spin the turbo but to no avail, she doesnt move at all. Am i right in saying that i need a new turbo?

Cheers for the help.

campbell
Forum Enthusiast

Postby campbell » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:20 pm

Maybe not, but maybe.  You'll need to pull the turbo out and clean it up.  They can be dismantled easily.  And reassembled with the same ease.

Make sure that you mark the alignement of the turbo housings on the core before you take it all apart.

If you can pull the turboshaft out easily, note that this shaft is quite brittle and easily snapped, (I think that the nut on the cold compressor may be a left hand thread? Either way, check before you apply too much leverage.) clean it off and flush out the housing. It's probably full of carbon from cooked oil.  If the engine was ever treated with friction modifiers such as Slick 50 or Nulon, there'll be gunk clogging up the shaft.

When you put it back together, there should be no detectable radial or lateral free play in the shaft.  and it should spin freely and silently.  If it has any free play, or binding, or rattles, it's off to a turbo rebuilder for a bit of a chat.

Good luck.

regards,
Campbell

lx2si
Forum Participant

Postby lx2si » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:37 pm

ok will do, whats the easiest way to get the turbo out  ???

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:42 pm

easiest way hmmm.. place a large explosive in the cabin light fuse,run,block ears,boom,then go find where the turbo landed ;D
your best and only option is from underneath.
you will have to pull off the exhaust to get up there.
use a s#!t load of crc on the nuts before you put a spanner enywhere near them then let it sit for a while then add some more,wait some more,then go for it.
good luck

campbell
Forum Enthusiast

Postby campbell » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:08 am

I do endorse the second method there.  Put the car up on some ramps, if you can.  Otherwise jack it and get it onto some axle stands.

There's the fiddly heat shields on the body firewall to take off.  They do do a good job, so don't damage them.

You'll probably never get the cat temp sensor off at the cat, so it's unclip the wire inside and push it through the grommet.

I think that the first time I took off the turbo I may've left the cat on the rest of the exhaust and just taken the top off at the turbo. Awkward, but if you can't undo the bolts and you're working to a tight time frame.  (I had to swap turbos over in a mates backyard and be able to drive the car home the same day. Before dark. I managed it singlehandedly, so it's not impossible.)

And I did have to undo the firewall mounted engine mount too.  I think that this was to give me access to some turbo bolts, or the oil line.

And no special tools required.  Just ordinary 3/8 drive socket set for the hard work and a 1/4 set for most of it.  But really only need 10, 12 and 14mm sockets.  Plus a couple of ring spanners of the same size.  Maybe there was a 17 too?

And our previous correspondants comment about the CRC will probably speed some things along quite a bit.

good luck
Campbell

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:17 pm

What he said ^^ and use LOTS of CRC cause its how you avoid breaking the turbo bolts, or rounding them off. Oh and try and use hex sockets not multifit, much less chance of rounding things off.

Return to “General”