Cold start idle

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
turbo11
Donating Member

Cold start idle

Postby turbo11 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:22 pm

Hi all, when i start my T2 first thing in the morning it idles at 2000rpm which i really dont like even though its a standard thing like other cars i have had, but at 6 in the morning its a bit loud. Has anyone been able to remove the fast idle at cold start or find a fix for this.
Thanks

turbocab
Donating Member

Re: Cold start idle

Postby turbocab » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:34 pm

screw your neighbours :Pthey should feel lucky thay are being woken by such a sick little car.thats how i justify letting mine warm up at 530am for like two mins in the driveway every morning ;D

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:04 pm

You can turn it down using the brass screw, you can turn it down quite low without it stalling even when cold

turbo11
Donating Member

Postby turbo11 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:03 pm

The brass screw? I have played with the cars hot idle with the screw back right hand side of the inlet looking in from the front of the car. Not sure which one?

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:39 pm

Yeah I got a bit confused there, thats the hot Idle screw Im talking about, but its on the autochoke thats why I was confused, not sure how to adjust the cold idle.

turbo11
Donating Member

Postby turbo11 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:20 pm

Thanks anyway Bigelboe, will try to find a solution for this.

campbell
Forum Enthusiast

Postby campbell » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:00 pm

A couple of points to bear in mind before you wind back that idle.  That cold idle speed has been chosen to make your engine last longer and also to produce lower emissions.

A high idle from cold is essential to pump bulk oil to everywhere in the engine as soon as possible.  And it also gets it warmed up more effectively so the lubrication properties come good sooner.  Also gets the cat to its' operating temperature sooner.

You could always fix the perceived problem from the other direction.  Make the car quieter with a better exhaust.  Or park it further away during the warm up.

Don't compromise the wear environment in the engine by slowing the cold start idle.

regards,
Campbell

turbo11
Donating Member

Postby turbo11 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:22 pm

Thanks for your info but never liked the fact that a cold engine jumps straight to over 2000 rpm as soon as it fires, yes i agree that a few more revs are needed than a warm engine to get things working better but this is why u run good grade oil to help this fact. Im only talking from dealing with rebuilding race and street rotary engines but i could way wrong with the little honda engines.

campbell
Forum Enthusiast

Postby campbell » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:04 pm

I understand your feelings about it.  When I first found an owners manual for my S600 I was shocked to find that the warm up was 2500 for at least 5 minutes?  Wha????  I was used to idles of 500rpm and 850 at cold.

Remember the early Mazda rotaries?  Oh, sorry, you weren't even in an ovay then.  In Australia and the US, these rotaries had a shit reputation for reliability, but in Japan and Europe they were as good as the normal 4 cylinder engines.  Prior to the introduction of the RX7, Mazda decided that they had to find out why.

They found that it was because Auzzies couldn't be bothered to warm up with a fast idle before driving.

The really important thing is getting as much oil pumped around as soon as possible and only a fast idle will do this.  It needs the pump speed to get the pressure and volume up.

Unnerving, but that's what the manufacturers found works.  And they don't wan't warranty claims from clagged bearings and circular cam lobes.

In really cold conditions, use a radiator blind and a oil cooler (if you've fitted one) bypass, until warmed.  Speed up the process.  Or get one of the electric sump heaters.

regards,
Campbell

jay
Forum Enthusiast

Postby jay » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:19 pm

there is a cap on the top of the cold idle take it of and inside you can adjust the cold idle by scroowing the diafram in or out

Return to “General”