Intercooler water spray cooling.

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
campbell
Forum Enthusiast

Intercooler water spray cooling.

Postby campbell » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:35 pm

Hey everybody,

The latest issue of Silicon Chip has an article about building a water spray cooler for our intercoolers.

This seems an interesting idea.  Has anybody actually had any practical experience with this?  I can imagine doing a super cooled water supply to enhance the effect.

It's intended to kick in when the temps reach a high point and the engine is under load.  A semi intelligent control so that it doesn't just pump water for the sake of pumping water over a hot intercooler.

For the browsers, the article is on page 38 of the March issue of Silicon Chip.  Doesn't appear to have anything about it on their website yet though.

Campbell

turbo11
Donating Member

Re: Intercooler water spray cooling.

Postby turbo11 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:03 am

Not a bad idea but water injection into the motor much better results. Reed the post on water injection.

HB
Forum Regular

Postby HB » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:48 am

one of my mechanic friend mentioned me about water injection onto the intercooler, is it effective?

si
Donating Member

Postby si » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:49 am

[quote author=turbo11 link=board=GEN;num=1140698160;start=0#1 date=02/24/06 at 00:03:04]Not a bad idea but water injection into the motor much better results. Reed the post on water injection.[/quote]
It works better if set up right, but then you've got to deal with corrosion.. Water spray cooling is cheaper and has less problems, but the gains aren't as great.

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:43 pm

With intercooler spray you dont get the gains associated with the water molcules presence in the charge like the anti-detonation and stuff but you get a certain amount of the cooling effect.

Evo's and sti's have been doing it for a long time and they wouldnt do it unless it made a difference. If you chuck a bit of metho in it it will cool more rapidly too.

A boost switch is probably all that would be neededset it to go off at 12psi or something so it only sprays when your serious.

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:41 pm

I too read the article in Silicon Chip. I think is is a very nice setup and would be ideal for people who want more efficient charge cooling but dont want the added complications of water injection.

Injecting methanol is not always such a good idea, if you dont have it set up right you can potentially increase your charge temperatures greatly.

turbo11
Donating Member

Postby turbo11 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:01 pm

Have seen and used many water/metho injection kits and never seen increased temps just big drops in air temp. A few basic rules need to be looked at but its not hard as long as you use good bits to make the system. I have just got my new water injector its made by Spraying Systems CO and part number is SF-3. Good thing is its brass and has its own inline filter.

Return to “General”