T1 symptoms

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
spangleking
Forum Enthusiast

T1 symptoms

Postby spangleking » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:17 pm

Dunedin
T1 pulling up the kilmog [1km of 45 degree hill] at about 4.5 -5000RPM in 4th, motor pulling really strong leaving eveything behind, then it starts missing and slows to a crawl  and they all roar past me, no plume of smoke behind me. -I hope this is just old plugs?

I take it easy and no further problems until I return from my home leg of a 217 Km trip. On the way back its up to 110 K in 4th, then into 5th pushing me firmly back into the the seat.
Then at about 123K this great hiccup as if a sponge was sucked into the inlet. The car bucked horribly as if all circuits were down but no smoke out the back.  Within a second it was over and I buttoned off and took it quietly for a while .
I thought it may be the  rings nipping up but I think it would have blown its guts if that was the case.
It had  plenty of oil.Its got 250K on the clock.
I had an experience similar with a City E model and it was a blocked fuel filter[espc noticable on hills]

I carried on with no further problems at a good speed so I wondered if anyone has any ideas?
Have my rings nipped up or was it a computer problem?

campbell
Forum Enthusiast

Re: T1 symptoms

Postby campbell » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:24 pm

Did you happen to notice what the boost gauge showed at the time?

You may've either had either the overboost fuel cutoff cut-in, or the blow-by valve releasing.  Which it shouldn't do.

Have you done the overhaul of the fuel pump relay contacts?

regards,
Campbell

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:39 pm

just a thaught..did you have a very low fuel tank at the time?
i think my fuel pickup point has come adrift in the tank,on hard left cornering and hard acceleration with a quater tank or less it pretty mutch does exactly what you just said.

spangleking
Forum Enthusiast

Postby spangleking » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:00 pm

It does not have a boost gauge fitted.
No I havn't done the fuel pump relay contacts.
And about petrol level It had $40 worth in the tank.
I did have a problem with it draining batteries a while ago.

city_mad
Forum Regular

Postby city_mad » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:18 am

i had that in my t1, for me it was the fuel cut at about 13 14 psi .my wastgate flap was hiting the plate in frount of it and makeing it over boost thn whn it hit the fuel cut a big bang and massave lose of power thn it came right after i backd off

spangleking
Forum Enthusiast

Postby spangleking » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:15 am

so what did you do mechanically -to remedy?

city_mad
Forum Regular

Postby city_mad » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:26 am

put a biger turbo in haha but get a new flange plate cut and made the exhaust up frm ther i work at Auto Exhaust in dunedin if u need a hand?

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:54 pm

Spangleking, give us a bit more history about your car first, does it have an exhaust or filter or any other mods?

spangleking
Forum Enthusiast

Postby spangleking » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:01 pm

Its completely stock but the AC pump and cylinder has been removed.
No modifications at all.
Black paint, red and black seats

spangleking
Forum Enthusiast

Postby spangleking » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:06 pm

The guy who had it for years had the turbo recond and fitted a timer[sorry a modification].

Its the orig T1 vacuum piped motor.
not replaced at any stage.

Exhaust is as it came out of the factory.

It seems to run well until  those worrying symptoms the other day. It still runs well but clearly it doesnt like being pushed a bit?

si
Donating Member

Postby si » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:30 pm

[quote author=spangleking link=board=GEN;num=1141463867;start=0#0 date=03/04/06 at 20:17:47]Dunedin
T1 pulling up the kilmog [1km of 45 degree hill] at about 4.5 -5000RPM in 4th, motor pulling really strong leaving eveything behind, then it starts missing and slows to a crawl  and they all roar past me, no plume of smoke behind me. -I hope this is just old plugs?[/quote]
Could just be your clutch getting too hot and starting to slip. Happens to me when i try and push it, wont go any higher than 150kph.. It behaves again after a bit of normal driving.

spangleking
Forum Enthusiast

Postby spangleking » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:17 pm

I do have that habit of riding the clutch pedal and at one point noticed it slip. Its the really light sprung plate model.
However it usually just overrevs and there is no pick up?
The issue here  was mssing as if the plugs were coked or coil overheated causing a weak spark?Then it  jusr began to slow with none of the characteristic free revving of a  clutch slip.
The other symptom was almost like turning off the ign and on again  but without the big bang out the exhaust. It was as if the car died for a split second.

James

Postby James » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:52 am

I would have guessed boost cut but you have standard exhaust so its unlikely, you may want to check your vacuum plumbing between the wastegate and the turbo for leaks.

spangleking
Forum Enthusiast

Postby spangleking » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:26 pm

Tanks for thaat advcie but it doesnt smell much and I would expect strong engine odours in the cab if that was the case.
It good advice and I will check it out.

James

Postby James » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:39 pm

A vacuum leak I am talking about, not an exhaust leak. There is a small rubber hose going from the nipple on your wastegate to a nipple on the compressor housing of the turbo, possibly through a valve in the black control box, make sure this pipe isnt leaking

Return to “General”