car not going!!

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
robg
Forum Enthusiast

Re: car not going!!

Postby robg » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:32 am

thinking  about it.the only thing i can think of is its the wastegate.ill take the exhaust off an check tonite

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:41 pm

what turbo are you using bro? Are you using that turbos factory internal wastegate? It its quite possible that that wastegate is sprung to only boost to 5psi, try disconnecting the wastegate hose and plugging it up, then go for a drive, it should free boost easily.

robg
Forum Enthusiast

Postby robg » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:25 pm

im told its a primary turbo off a lexus v8,but similer model to gtx.i put on the actuator off my old turbo that used to open at 12.but kind of done my own thing on the flapper which i suspect mite have gone wrong and not be seating properly against the exhaust housing..so il go check that out after work 2moro.but if its not that then im out of ideas. ???

James

Postby James » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:03 am

Lexus V8's never came out turbo...So its off a custom turbo one?...

robg
Forum Enthusiast

Postby robg » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:02 am

well thats what i was told,so im guessing it must have been a custom one ???.but any way ,replaced the wastegate flapper thing,which my last idea of what could be wrong,and it still doesnt boost.....helllllllppppp!!!!!!

James

Postby James » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:14 am

Check for an exhaust leak, use a stick o r wire with a ribbon or bit of paper on the end, wave it around all your exhaust gaskets.

Have you tried wiring the flapper shut? make sure your not wiring it fully open too  :-/

Also have you checked your ignition timing? having really retarded timing makes it really hard to boost.

robg
Forum Enthusiast

Postby robg » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:13 pm

found a few pin holes in my i/c fixed themwent to put everything togetha .took off my down pipe...seemd 2 be water coming out of my turbo....just after that there apeard a boot dent in my door >:( and a lot of swearing.....got a tad pissed off as this is leading me to believe my gaskets gone again ,and i had only just changed it and hadnt even got it running properly..unless any1 knows of any reason there should be water there i know a friend of mine that had the same problem but found he had just plugged a water line into a vacume line..also whats the thing on the back of th intake manifold..with the 2 pipes goin to it from the manifold?

James

Postby James » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:03 pm

The question of the day is, was it green, ie coolant., and also, is your turbo water cooled. Those lines under the intake manif are for heating the intake manifold up with engine coolant, helps to keep it running smooth and stuff, not sure its that flash for keeping your charge dense tho

turbo11
Donating Member

Postby turbo11 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:20 pm

Hmmm sounds bad :(

robg
Forum Enthusiast

Postby robg » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:38 am

turbo is water cooled,but i blocked them off so no water is connected...think i may take my head off again and inspect. shouldnt take that long as i will just pull the head off as is and leave the manifolds and that on ,and i can get a gasket for $45 though a mate .I cant think why it would have blown?i did the bolts up to 40lb ,in 4 stages in the right order.and the turbo never boosted over 10 at the best of the 5 drives up and down the road i took ???both surfaces were clean,should i have use a thread locker?

robg
Forum Enthusiast

Postby robg » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:39 pm

all up an running now ..runs ok but when u get on boost it misses like feck and doesnt go n e where ,doesnt reach full boost ??? n e ideas??

James

Postby James » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:31 pm

I would start with, Igntion timing, Ignition coil, leads, plugs (check if dirty or shagged), dizzy. After I had made sure all this was working I would then go, Fuel pressure, injectors. And after checking all that I would start beating myself with a piece of pipe until all my problems went away  ;D

robg
Forum Enthusiast

Postby robg » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:55 pm

put new plugs in ,runs smooth now ,Still doesnt go very fast.boost doesnt kick in till real high up in the revs and still doesnt reach 10psi .i wired up the actuator .didnt start pulling till high up in the revs and (free boosting to round 16) is still slower than standard boost with my old setup. ??? ???.the turbo i have is not that much bigger than the standard city turb so i cant understand why it would be so laggy... im lost ???

James

Postby James » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:55 pm

Like I have said a couple of times, have you checked all the timing? Ignition with a timing light etc.

robg
Forum Enthusiast

Postby robg » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:03 pm

Timing all done,reset valve clearances .took it for a drive ,got to 7psi toping out.took off actuator and boosts up fine .put on my boost tap and done it all the way in and still only got to 6-7pound ..actuator doesnt seem to move when engine is revved.blew my airgun into the actuato and air continually comes out of the little hole on the actuator ,which should mean that the diaphrams gota hole?

Return to “General”