Can you still get city 1 turbos rebuilt.

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
davidj
Forum Participant

Can you still get city 1 turbos rebuilt.

Postby davidj » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:47 pm

Hi guys,

The seal on my turbo (city 1) has gone and blowing oil into the engine. I spoke with one turbo mob in the Melbourne and couldn't find replacement parts (rebuild kit) for that turbo.. It that true?

My other option would be to put another turbo on. Say a GT12 or GT25 of the top of my head.

Thanks

trevnutz

Postby trevnutz » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:49 pm

does the honda city turbo 2 run the same turbo.

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Hyperblade » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:53 pm

trevnutz wrote:does the honda city turbo 2 run the same turbo.

No Larger

James

Postby James » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:57 pm

T2 runs larger compressor and turbine housing but has the same center as far as I know, which is the bit you wanna rebuild.

You should still be able to rebuild them, Ive heard of them being rebuilt not too long ago here in NZ. You may be better off having a hybrid made from a mazda B6T trbo or something as I dont think thats too hard.

Henry

Postby Henry » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:23 pm

You shouldn't have any trouble getting it rebuilt, try a better turbo shop!

JohnT
Donating Member

Postby JohnT » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:35 pm

If you have parts problems I believe we have some City turbo bearings somewhere. I also have a turbo with a somewhat jammed waste gate but not sure of any other issues. Henry looked at it once, might have some idea. If you really need it I'd be happy to provide for the costs of getting it to you. Henry might know if that is worthwhile, I run a Garrett GT17 and don't really know one City turbo from another.
John

Henry

Postby Henry » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:40 pm

John's turbo is from a T1, Quote for a rebuild in Adelaide is around $900. I looked up turbo sites a while back and found rebuild kits for those turbos so don't see that you should be having a problem. Balancing would be a big issue if you tried to do it yourself.

kartracer
Forum Regular

Postby kartracer » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:17 pm

yeah turbo balancing is not a DIY job, but it can be cheap and quick. I've heard $5-$15 quoted here in Auckland. $900 for a rebuild sounds like a lot of money to me, especially when in NZ you can pick up an entire car for around $50 which may come with a good turbo.

i would keep an eye out for a cheap replacement or upgrade. the GT17 sounds good, does anyone have any idea what one would cost?

JohnT
Donating Member

Postby JohnT » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:23 pm

A new GT17 is close to $1,000 from suppliers in this town, but maybe that is an insane amount as there is little demand and therefore a huge margin on them.

Don't forget that you'll need a custom manifold to go to GT17, and you'll need a coolant line to go to the turbo as well as the existing oil line.

John

James

Postby James » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:57 am

You can get good condition t25's off trademe for around or under $100. Try and go for the small ones like the ones of ca18det's

Then around $4-500 for a steam pipe manifold and flange made, then another $1-200 for a 3" dump and flange, assuming you already have a decent exhaust, if not then add another couple hundred for that. Still probably cheaper than a rebuild, depending on the prices you get, and you get a nice big turbo!

You could always make a bit of money back selling your manifold and dump if you already have one.

Return to “General”