city tacho.....Urgent!!!!!

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
city_racer
Forum Enthusiast

city tacho.....Urgent!!!!!

Postby city_racer » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:04 pm

Hey guy

The city R has a factory tacho right........ does it have a tacho drive or is it all electric because i need a tacho for my pro t and i need to find out if i need to get my hands on a tacho drive or if it just plugs in.

so if anyone knows or they have pictures of the engine could you please fill me in.

thanks

Henry
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Henry » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:43 pm

I seen one a few days ago, it was cable drive from a housing on the end of the head, it's a different head so won't work on the ProT. Think you will have to go for an aftermarket electronic unit.

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:55 pm

i'm 98% sure i have a spare City Cabriolet dash, complete and working (the tacho, speedo etc) runs from a cable.

If you want to purchase it, pm me. (it will work with proT since they share the same n/a engine).

city_racer
Forum Enthusiast

Postby city_racer » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:10 pm

hey thanks anyway but we have tried a cab instrument cluster and it shorted out some wiring.......... any more ideas...... ?

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:31 pm

Its the analog cluster right?

James

Postby James » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:44 am

Try and make the electronic tacho driver from the city turbo fit the back of the cable driven guage face from the city R?

city_racer
Forum Enthusiast

Postby city_racer » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:50 pm

hey sorry big elbow what??? is it posible if i got a city r head and wacked it on the pro t would that work or not now that you have the unit on the end of the head??? cause i'm not sure.........it should work right??

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:32 am

when my Cab's engine overheated and seized no3 cylinder. The replacement engine was an ER1231 from a ProT.

Thats why i'm finding it hard to believe there's a difference...

James

Postby James » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:36 am

OK, If you can get the dash panel with the mechanical tacho to fit in your car, so all the guages work except the tacho which has nothign connected in the back of it. Buy a small aftermarket tacho, remove the facplate from this and modify it to screw to the back of the tacho guage face in your new dash, so now you have an electronic tacho guts stuck to the back of the cable tacho guage, you may need to scan the face of the tach and shuffle the numbers around to make the scale correct, then print out the new one on a transparancy and then stick it in front of a white piece of vinyl, then you have a white background new working tacho, do the same to the other guages too. I did just the changing of the guage faces but plan on doing the thing with the tach, and convering my temp and fuel guages to LED bar graphs. There are pictures of my guages somewhere on the forum.

James

Postby James » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:40 am

OR, Yeah you probably can do a heda swap but that seems like a lot of effort. Henry, are you sure there isn't a bung or something in the non-tacho heads that you can remove and install the tacho driver? Im pretty sure this was the case with the early civics.

Henry

Postby Henry » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:05 pm

The only Cab that I have seen had the N/a combax motor in it (12 valve head) as is in the City E which also has a tacho. the housing that holds the distributor is different and has the tacho drive attached to it. The ProT has a different head (8 valve) Is that the standard motor for the Cab?

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:03 pm

Technically, its a 12 valve er 1231.

But only 8 valves are for the engine, there's 1 valve per cylinder for polution purposes.

Trust me, i did not buy a $650 cabriolet engine, it was a Pro T. (But later model, not 1982).

Henry

Postby Henry » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:19 pm

I checked the ProT today and there is nowhere there to fit a tacho cable and the distributor/thermostat housing doesn't look like it could be swapped for the housing from a T11. The mystery deepens!

city_racer
Forum Enthusiast

Postby city_racer » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:03 am

hey thanks guys and after even MORE looking and hunting around we will just go with the monster tacho mounted on the dash....... has anyone done this before? where did you put yours? post some pics?

James

Postby James » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:28 am

ewww moster tach, personally one of my most hated accessories, its up there with those fake electroninc BOV's

Return to “General”