australian built T1! ???

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
scienceboy
Forum Participant

australian built T1! ???

Postby scienceboy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:10 pm

This maybe a long shot but can anyone recall who offerd the turbo kit for the city back in the early part of the 1980s!

there were two cars (a red one and a white one) and they were featured in an australian motoring magazine back in the 80s (boy showing my age here!) .The magazine was something like "wheels" but im not dead certain?

I have spent the last two hours trying to find the magazine, but i cant seem to find it!

I was going to scan it and post it up so you could have a look a what could possibly be a piece of australian automotive history!!

If my memory serves me right the kit came with there own designed fiberglass grill ,rear spoiler and a boost gauge?..I think the same company also offered a truly ugly body kit for the 2nd gen prelude?

Does anyone in oz know/remember who this company was??

which begs the question!.......who turboed the city first! the japanese or the australians.?

I will keep looking for the mag because its well worth the read

Better still does anyone own one of these cities and know how many of these cars were built and still servive today?

Cheers all.

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:32 am

LOL. If its a T1, its from japan. If its a kit for the ProT then thats something different, but i don't see it happening.

Honda's son, leader of Mugen back then made the first City Turbo.

scienceboy
Forum Participant

Postby scienceboy » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:24 pm

Ok I honestly thought this topic wouild have generated a bit more interest than what it has! ,especialy for you australian folk on here because it is more relavent to you than anybody else here, after all these cars/kits
were produced on your home soil!

Yes these kits were produced for the city pro T! and were not related in any way to the factory city turbo!

The reason i said "who turboed the city first the australians or the japanese" is from memory the artical made no mention of an already existing factory turbo, which leads me to believe it was the first or at least a very close second!

I truly believe this oz city is worth further investagation not only from a technical point of view but from a nostalgic one as well.

But if no one here is interested "which i would find hard to believe" beacauce after all this is city turbo .com and is about all things city ,technical,interesting.or what have you i will drop this topic and not mention it again!

Any thoughts?

P S
I am not talking s#@t these cars do/did exist!

Cheers

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Hyperblade » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:01 am

I recall seeing the issue you descrive, excpet it was about the standard turbo 1 out of japan, do a search on posts on this board, for wheels, and you might be able to come up with the excat issue.

scienceboy
Forum Participant

Postby scienceboy » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:26 pm

Hi all I have a bit more info on this turbo city!

I was talking to an old guy that came into work the other day about cars in general and after talking for a bit he mentioned the he had worked for honda in new zealand,australia,and the uk during the 70s till the mid 90s when he retired! So i thought i would quiz him about the turbo city!
(he was in oz at the time)
To my surprise he said yes i know the car you are talking about ,which is good because i thought i was loosing my mind!

Now from what he told me the car ran a low boost turbo.....6.5 pounds max due to it standed internals, and aparently the standard carb was chucked in favour of an SU carb with a blow through or draw through type setup (factory t1/t2 were fuel injected)

aparantly there was some talk about this car when it first appeared!

How many cars/kits were produced is unclear, and it possable the two cars featured in the magazine were the only two cars ever built,perhaps due to lack of interest or the cost of the kits or even the demise of the company??
I phoned my father today to see if he could remember anything about the car (he gave me the magazine) and he confirmed about the turbo setup!
infact he said he had a good laugh about it at the time cause he hates honda citys

Would be good if someone had an old copy of the mag so we could post it up along with the specs and the pics of the cars.

cheers all

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:45 pm

wow bro great research there.good work
matty

scienceboy
Forum Participant

Postby scienceboy » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:29 am

Thanks for that turbocab, the research will be ongoing and hope to bring you more in the near future!

cheers all

James

Postby James » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:33 am

Nice work SB. Maybe they adapted the old rayjay low pressure turbo kits you could get for 1st and 2nd gen civics around that time. Those kits came with turbo, dump, manifolds and carb. There was one for sale on eBay for a 1st gen civic a few months ago, still in new condition. I think those ones ran 7psi

davo
Donating Member

Postby davo » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:41 pm

Hopefuuly this is the mag you were looking for. Got a copy when i first started playing with my city.

Image Image Image

scienceboy
Forum Participant

Postby scienceboy » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:50 pm

Davo your the man!! yes this is the mag i was thinking of! .......well sort of! ?? A friend of mine found a copy for me and i was just about to post it up ,but it looks like you bet me to it old mate!!.....well done though!!

I read the mag and it is all comeing back to me now ...(you have to remember that i was doing all this from memory and it was twenty five years ago!) .I noted this car doesnt use an Su carb setup which makes me think that there was more than one turbo kit offered for the city! I may be confusing two seperate articals as the same car!

but according to information i have recieved in the last couple of days there was a city kit available with the SU setup and it dates back to about 1981-82 and i will continue to research the car!

The old guy that came into work the other day hadnt seen the magazine so this just reinforces the information i have gathered! and he did mention that he thought the kit was orginaly ment for the EB civic but when the city came along (more modern car) they through it on that instead !??
So it is still possable that the ozzys did offer up a turbo to the city before the japs!!

The wheels magazine we have here is just a bit to late to be the original artical i was thinking of, this car does seem to have there own body kit though!

thanks for posting it up davo

I hope to have some more info soon!!

Cheers all

scienceboy
Forum Participant

Postby scienceboy » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:59 pm

Davo can you post up the performance figures ,speed in gears, 1/4 mile times etc over on the next page.......my scanner has just tossed a rod or something!

Cheers mate

Henry

Postby Henry » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:03 am

That seems to be the same body kit that is on KIWI's city, his doesn't have the different grille but the rest looks the same including the bonnet scoop. He has pictures in the Garage.

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:06 am

Henry wrote:That seems to be the same body kit that is on KIWI's city, his doesn't have the different grille but the rest looks the same including the bonnet scoop. He has pictures in the Garage.

That front bumper is excatly the same as a picture i have of a honda city done up by Foxton Reinforced Plastics here in Christchurch. Was taken 10 -15 years ago.

Had skirts as well, sorry don't have it in virtual form so can't post it.

James

Postby James » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:51 am

Its a pretty nice kit, the roof spoiler is cool too. I actually quite like the two tone paintjob aswell, would look good with black on top and silver underneath

Brendan
Admin

Postby Brendan » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:33 pm

Good work guys. Do you think this is worth putting in the infobase?

Return to “General”