T1 wastegate grinding

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
sin-city_turbo
Forum Regular

T1 wastegate grinding

Postby sin-city_turbo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:49 am

Thanks so much for the guide on how to grind the wastegate port. now, ive got a recond T1 turbo for my T1 city that i pulled apart today. You guys said that you could just use a drill for this ( i dont have a die grinder). Im going to use a bit that just slips into the wastegate port.

is there anything else i need to consider.... apart from putting a cloth inside the housing to stop pieces of metal from being lost in there and later destroying my turbo? haha

cheers people

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:11 pm

hey sin city glad you find the guide helpful.

Be prepared for it to take a while with a drill and stones the die grinder we used for that was probably doing around 10000rpm at the slowest and had a $35 carbide cutting bit in it and took about 15-20 mins. Also drills arent really ment for being pressed sideways into the work so its probably not going to be very flash for its bearings, so I guess dont use dads brand spanking flash drill or anything.

But hey go nuts and have fun with the turbo when your finished :D

When I first started to grind out our first turbo I was using a file and made progress in about an hour before I gave up, so the drill should be good, probly only take an hour or so.

sin-city_turbo
Forum Regular

Postby sin-city_turbo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:45 pm

ok, my mate and i just gave it a good go with the drill... funnily enough, (Cheers for BIGLEBOES reply! )weird noises started coming out of dads drill when we put decent pressure on.

through experience, I DO NOT recommend that you use a drill haha

good news though, just found a mate with a die grinder and he reakons he can bring over some carbide bur's!. should get it done tonight :D

will post some pics of it in my garage profile

cheers

Smithy
Forum Addict

Postby Smithy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:44 pm

Hey how did this progress? is the actual "gate" still of suitable size or did you replace that at all?!

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:53 pm

The flapper itself is plenty big enough on both T1 and T2. The one problem with it is its not rigidly held, it flops around a little bit, this sint a problem if your running the standard turbo. If you wanted to make your wastegate even BIGGER (if it was on a hybrid for instance). Then you could weld the flapper to the flapper arm so it didnt move around, then take the port out to within very close of the edge of the flapper. If you wanted even more you could drill the flapper out, make a bigger one on a lathe and then machine the wastegate land out bigger, there is plenty of room in the housing. I dont see why you would want to do that tho, you can enlarge the port diameter to about 75% of the diameter of the entry to the turbine section without modifying the flapper at all, so you can divert a whole lot of gas around the turbine.

Return to “General”