FCD issues

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Silver2
Forum Regular

FCD issues

Postby Silver2 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:05 pm

Ok had a bleed type FCD on my car and it worked fine until my recent running rough problems. Once I got the car running right I put it back on and it played havoc with something, the car will run lean when on boost.
So I have changed to a Link Clamplink, which is an electronic defender but have run into the some problems. There is also what sounds like a backfire coming from the engine when it trys to boost.
Have disconnect it and the car runs and boosts fine!

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:17 pm

Have you tried winding the adjustment on the link thingie right up? So you still have boost cut? See how it runs then. If it runs fine then you probably just had the cutoff point set too low.

Ill have a bit more of a think about it and come up with some other options if this isnt the problem.

Silver2
Forum Regular

Postby Silver2 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:54 pm

Ok got it sort thanks. Now have a new problem, pretty sure I have blown a head gasket. Got heaps a white smoke coming out the exhaust, there is milky scum on the oil cap and the radiator overflow container is coated in oil. What sort of price will a mechanic charge to do a head gasket?

James

Postby James » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:50 pm

Yip youve fuckt the gasket, you should do it yourself mate, its pretty easy. Gasket is only like $35 or something. Easy do it on a weekend. I think I have done a guide on how to do it in a previous post. I have NEVER used a mechanic so I wouldnt know prices.

JohnT
Donating Member

Postby JohnT » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:57 pm

Head job is pretty easy, couple of key things to know up front:

Gasket cost is not the only one, you'll need new oil, oil filter and decent coolant, do NOT use water as coolant, or the beast will fail again soon.

You will need a decent set of sockets, and a torque wrench. Instruction on torque settings are in the info base, and a Civic manual (local library?) will have the basic steps in there.

After that it is easy, as long as you carefull clean alll the old gasket off the metal surfaces of the head and the block. Correct torque level, and torque sequence is important, but basically you tighten the bolts from the centre out, a bit at a time - that is, tighten them a bit, then go over re-tightening again and again. Re-tighten after a week or so of use. Use a torque wrench, don't guess.

I'd expect that if you get a mechanic to do it you'd be looking at between $200 and $500 for labour, plus parts & oils. Unless you've got a mate...

Other thing that can happen when you pull a head off is either it is cracked, or corroded, or there is valve damage. There are usually specilist head shops in most cities who will weld, machine, replace valve guides and all that - so they wil do the hard stuff for you if it is really sick. Again, a mechanic would send it to the same place, but add $$ to their bill to send it out.

John

mangusta
Forum Enthusiast

Postby mangusta » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:26 am

A head change by a mechanic will cost you a _lot_

This comes from the fact the mechanic will not simply replace just the head gasket, there are several other things you should do at the same time, otherwise the job won't last very long:

Get the head checked/faced Alloy heads warp when overheated.

Do valve stem seals: they fail after overheat, and hey, if you have the head off, why not buy the full top set kit, and then at least you'll know it is good....

Do the radiator..... have to drop coolant anyway, if you're lucky just a rod and clean, around $100 -200

Also, do thermostat, waterpump, belts etc.... can run up the bill, but if you don't there's a pretty high chance that what cooked it last time will get you again!

A good head shop (the car kind ;-) should be able to do the facing, and install the new valve stems (can do CVCC valves too) all up for somewhere in the vicinity of $2-300au sounds like a lot, but then what is that next to having to do all this again next summer when it boils again...

James

Postby James » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:12 am

Thanks for filling In the blanks John, I *slightly* oversimplified that.

Do valve stem seals: they fail after overheat, and hey, if you have the head off, why not buy the full top set kit, and then at least you'll know it is good....

Do the radiator..... have to drop coolant anyway, if you're lucky just a rod and clean, around $100 -200

Also, do thermostat, waterpump, belts etc.... can run up the bill, but if you don't there's a pretty high chance that what cooked it last time will get you again!

I have never heard of any places doing this stuff for a blown headgasket, maybe the seals if they had got munted.

If the thermo and pump and belts are in good nick then why change them? I expecting silver to have his car in decent condition if he is running 20+psi of boost.

The above boost level is what would most probably have cooked his gasket. The stuff you have listed makes for a REALLY dear head gasket change

$100 for a water pump, $240 for a full gasket set from me, $20 for a thermostat, $? for valve guides, $40ish for a head facing then however much you need to spend on the rad. Then all plus a few hundy labour to do all that. Could easily go to $1000 for all that you have mentioned.

Im mean fair enough I guess if it was just a random blown head gasket from overheating, but I wouldnt just go replacing parts willy nilly.

Anyway, Silver if you intened to keep pushing your boost you may want to seriously consider getting some ARP head studs so you can squeeze the factory gasket harder. They are stronger and flex less so you can have some piece of mind your not going to have to change the gasket again in a couple of months.

JohnT
Donating Member

Postby JohnT » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:06 am

Silver

I agree with Bigelboe, we have ARP high tensile studs and we are runnig 15, about to go to 20 or so of boost. Does put a "bit" of stress on the old head gasket! So if you are going to keep on running 20 psi replace the head studs with ARP when you replace the gasket. Then they get torqued a bit higher than normal, to increase the hold down force. I have the torque figures recommended by Charles, pm if you want them.

John

Silver2
Forum Regular

Postby Silver2 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:50 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. Got a mate who is going to teach me how to do it. We are going to take the head off and see what is going on, I'm hoping like hell it's just a gasket otherwise I don't think its worth spending money on it.

Return to “General”