Fuel Pump Problem.

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Jcity
Forum Participant

Fuel Pump Problem.

Postby Jcity » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:43 pm

Hi, my city doesn't want to start... i realize that there is now sound from the fuel pump when the key is turn to ON like it use to.. i have checked the fuse box and all is ok.. what else can i check?? help please...

Thanks.

Smithy
Forum Addict

Postby Smithy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:27 pm

Start by teling us what is working/switching on/showing activity :)

.....and whats not happening. :?

...I think the gurus on here will be able to sort uyou out with a little more info!
:P

Mike_NZ
Donating Member

Postby Mike_NZ » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:57 pm

i realize that there is now sound from the fuel pump when the key is turn to ON like it use to..

Is that supposed to be now sound or no sound? Cause whether or not the fuel pump IS running with the key at ON is important.
If it is no sound, it could be the pump itself, or the relay that powers the pump.
Can you be more specific with the symptoms, what happens if you actually try to start the car? Does it start then instantly die? Does it try to turn over at all? etc...

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:23 am

If he ment there is no fuel pump sound it could well be the main relay solder joints.

Jcity
Forum Participant

hi..

Postby Jcity » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:32 am

Thanks for the response and sorry for the late reply... I meant NO sound when the key is turn to on.. everything else is normal and when i try to start the city, it will try to crank but would never start like there is no fuel.. where is the relay for the pump located??

Thanks again for the help..

James

Postby James » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:58 am

Its up under the dash, heres a pic. You need to open it up and re-solder all the joints.

Mike_NZ
Donating Member

Postby Mike_NZ » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:17 pm

Mine didn't look quite like the one in the picture it was just a simple box about 8cm long, it's quite a way up under the dash, and bolted onto something. It will have the words RELAY and 12V on it.

Jcity
Forum Participant

Postby Jcity » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:18 am

Thanks bro bigelboe... sorry again for the late reply... just got back from outstation... will try to look into it but it's very cramp inside there.. :) thanks for the pic, it will help alot... will let you guys know the outcome.

thanks again...

si
Donating Member

Postby si » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:56 pm

My T2 has decided it wants to not start now too. From what you've described its probably the same problem. I've tested the main relay as per this guide and its fine. When you turn the key to the on position the fuel pump doesn't do anything and the ECU light just stays on instead of going off after a few seconds. The ecu isn't throwing any codes either. The fuel pump is fine also, runs when you put power directly to it. It's got me stumped!

James

Postby James » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:05 pm

PGMFI light on solid is an error code 13 and means faulty ECU, I have had the same thing happen to my car, it would either start and die straight away, or not start at all. The reason the fuel pump isn't going is probably because the ECU isnt telling it to.

si
Donating Member

Postby si » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:50 pm

I've tried another ECU and still the same thing. So unless my other ECU is dead too then it must be something else..

mangusta
Forum Enthusiast

Postby mangusta » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:32 pm

Had a similar probklem on the weekend, and found another cause for fuel pump not running:

Check the housing at the end of the head, near the distributor, I beleive the Crank Angle sensor is here, check the plug clipped to the top of the housing, my pump wouldn't run, and we moved that plug and it came good, it could be the same prob for you, take the plug apart and clean it ( a bit of CRC helps a lot)

See how you go after that.

Cheers
Paul

James

Postby James » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:49 pm

Did the ECU show fault lights Paul? I would have expected it to show a wiring fault for the cam angle sensor.

Interesting problem Si, I just had a re-look at the error codes as I was only going on the faulty ECU thing from memory. The code has some japanese I can't translate. I can translate the katakana, we just need either a chinese or japanese to translaet the kanji. Ill try get my mate to do it tonight.

mangusta
Forum Enthusiast

Postby mangusta » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:46 pm

Didn't see any codes, may have, but I checked a few times and no lights, only thought of it when checked the Master relay, and found only 1 live wire into it.

Cheers
Paul

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:10 am

Anyone know the solution for this problem?
Took all day yesterday installing the engine didnt have a problem anywhere drove it around for about half an hour then it started playing up ignition kept turning on and off and now it doesnt even prime the fuel pump, pgm-fi light stays on and pump doesnt prime. already tried the mainrelay with another working one and still nothing.

Return to “General”