Funny Noise

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
James
Moderator / Donating Member

Funny Noise

Postby James » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:42 pm

Hey guys, I could use some help.

My car makes a funny noise when I take the engine over about 4000rpm under load, the engine note quite suddenly changes to a harder flatter note and sounds mechanical, like a bad rattle and I can feel it change through my feet on the floor, it has only come up recently and I havnt changed anything engine wise (apart from mounts) so Im not sure what is up, perhaps my fuel filter is clogged and its horrible horrible detonation? Who knows. It has me a little worried because Its going to be doing a lot of driving in the near future.

turbo11
Donating Member

Postby turbo11 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:44 am

Hey Bigelboe i had a noise similar under load and i thought it maybe det but it turned out to be the gearbox. Get someone to follow you when you are under load and if any puffs of fuel come out the exhaust while you still have your foot into it its having det probs. [/img]

James

Postby James » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:13 am

Hey, my gearbox is a bit noisy, and it does seem to be coming from that side, guess it could be the mainshaft bearing cause that would be rev dependant?

Could you explain the puffs of fuel out the back from det? Why is this a symptom?

turbo11
Donating Member

Postby turbo11 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:52 pm

Hey Bigelboe, the reason i said to look out for any puffs of fuel out the back when under boost is when the car pings or dets whatever you want to call it will not burn the fuel load properly so excess fuel get blown out the back. When tunning big HP cars in the past we noticed that you can actually see det out the exhaust most of the time before you can hear it. So when you hear it det its not good at all.

gobbler
Forum Regular

bearings

Postby gobbler » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:33 pm

it most likley 2 b the thrust bearing

James

Postby James » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:56 am

I put another gearbox in and it seems to have gone away, cheers for that turbo11

turbo11
Donating Member

Postby turbo11 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:47 pm

Hey no probs, the gearbox's seem to not like the extra grunt and wear out main bearings.

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:55 am

turbo11 wrote:Hey no probs, the gearbox's seem to not like the extra grunt and wear out main bearings.

What dad and i have found is that the T2 gearboxes actually seem to be weaker then T1, a lot of the T2 gearboxes we have found to be starting to get very noisy and growlly where as most of the T1 gearboxes are a still going strong.

James

Postby James » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:33 pm

I was thinking about that the other day.

The T2 made more power, so straight away its going to put a bit more stress on the gearbox. WIth the T2's substantially wider tires its also going to be a lot easier to put more torque down to the road and thus abuse the gearbox more, I think I remember reading somewhere it is torque and heat that kill gearboxes.

turbo11
Donating Member

Postby turbo11 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:52 pm

Yep Bigelboe your right and whats the first thing you do to mod your T2 is more boost or power :D so it grunts down low even more to stress the box even harder. I have my spare T2 box down with a gearbox freak at the moment and he is trying to find a way to LSD the sucker i will keep you posted on this.

James

Postby James » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:06 am

Tell him to try and find a Honda Civic Shuttle factory front viscous LSD, I think this might be our best ticket for an lsd that might fit in the box.

turbo11
Donating Member

Postby turbo11 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:19 am

Yeah will let him know, at the moment he is looking for parts that with a little machine work might get very close to being what we need.

turbo11
Donating Member

Postby turbo11 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:34 am

Hey Bigelboe, what engine did the shuttle run?. I have a guy in the US who i have got plenty of parts from before and yes he did have a strange honda viscous setup as with all the later ones too but i had know idea what it was from. We could be onto something with this guy.

fireslug
Forum Regular

What news on refitting turbo

Postby fireslug » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:38 am

Yo bigelboe, sent you an email to check if colza is ok with making the exhaust, and if you're available to refit the turbo.

I read that you have already fitted the gearbox I supplied you. Gather it's going well?

Have not had a reply as yet. Can you update me please?

James

Postby James » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:14 pm

Ok turbocab here is where it starts to get a bit complicated.

There are two models of civic shuttle, there is the 1983.9 to 1987.9 one and the 1987.9 onwards one.

The mugen LSD for the 1st gen one is the same part number as the T2 LSD. So if you can find any LSDs for that model shuttle then you have a bolt in jobbie. They used EW engines.

The other things that used EW engines are the 3rd gen civics, these are the 84-87 non-Si civic's with the cvcc 1500 motor. So if you can find anything for one of them you have a bolt in aswell.

The other thing is that a number of d-series gearboxes use the same driveshaft spline as the early honda's just with a slightly different length. And the width is reasonably similar I beleve.
The 2nd generation shuttle had a reasonably rare clutch type front differential as an option, this is not to be confused with the crazy viscous coupling center diff that came on all the 4wd versions.
I believe some of the later Si civics that use the Vtec d series motors, like d16's and d15's (from the mid to late 90's) also had an LSD option. I am not sure if these still have the same splines and stuff but they are probably your best bet for finding an LSD with small enough internals to use in a T2 diff.

Return to “General”