Lowering the front

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
el roacho
Forum Regular

Lowering the front

Postby el roacho » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:42 am

The back suspension on my T1 has sagged slightly due to age, so the back is noticeably lower than the front. I want to slightly lower the front, just to even out the ride height. I'm tempted to chop the springs slightly, but I'm worried that will wear my shocks out. A mate of mine suggested I take the front springs out and put them in a spring compressor and leave them for a couple of days compressed as much as they will go and that will hopefully permanently compress them. Any other ideas (without spending much money)?

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:54 am

Cut them, as long as you don't go silly its fine. I had cut springs front and rear for my last Onroad warrant and they didnt even blink. As long as they are still held pretty well captive then you cant really go wrong.

How much do you want to lower it? You can probably get about 2" lower by cutting the spring and with it still captive.

Best way to do it is take the strut out, take the spring off and hold it next to the strut so you can see approximately how much you can take off before it goes un-captive. I would probably start by removing a coil and sticking it back together, its not a biggie sticking it back together, you only have to undo 3 things (apart from wheel nuts) to get the strut out. THe strut pinch bolt, the strut top nut and the brake line bracket. Alternatively if you want I have some cut T2 springs here that you can try, they are still captive in T2 struts so could be a very easy solution for you, I would be willing to part with them for a very reasonable price.

el roacho
Forum Regular

Postby el roacho » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:22 pm

The postage will probably be too much though.

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:54 pm

Postage on 2 springs will be like $10 man.

el roacho
Forum Regular

Postby el roacho » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:56 pm

I might be interested...

sin-city_turbo
Forum Regular

Postby sin-city_turbo » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:39 am

hey guys, im eager to know if the handling is altered much by cutting the springs...?

ive been in an integra vtec which had chopped king springs, and it was always catching the eye of the law because of the way it would bounce along haha

im really keen to see my T1 a bit lower though so would seriously cutting my standards.. given that it will still be safe

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:22 am

As long as they are held captive by the strut they will still be fairly safe. I suppose there is always a higher chance of them twisting out compared to factory springs but i havent seen it happen yet.

They will only be a little firmer than they were before so you shouldnt get the 'bouncing' effect as long as you are sensible. 1-2 coils should be ok. More than that and you will get into trouble.

Remeber that cutting springs IS illegal in NZ and probably Oz too so this is not a modification you should be doing to a car used on the road :)

scienceboy
Forum Participant

Postby scienceboy » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:10 pm

Hi all , Colza is correct in saying that chopping your springs is illegal!
I have just had a quote from chamberlain suspension in christchurch (nz) to compress my standard springs.........$80.00 nzd and they are totaly legal!

Hope this helps.

Cheers ..and merry Xmas.

turbo11
Donating Member

Postby turbo11 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:58 pm

Yep Colza is correct about cutting the springs is illegal but hey so is having a BOV, ECU mods, bigger turbo the list is long. Yes some care must be taken in spring cutting.

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:21 pm

turbo11 wrote:Yep Colza is correct about cutting the springs is illegal but hey so is having a BOV, ECU mods, bigger turbo the list is long. Yes some care must be taken in spring cutting.

Wow, harsh. I dont think thats illegal over here....

As far as i was aware most engine mods are allowed here as long as its the original motor for the car and its method of induction is the same.

turbo11
Donating Member

Postby turbo11 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:06 pm

Nah Colza not being harsh with you :D just this is what we get over here.

sin-city_turbo
Forum Regular

Postby sin-city_turbo » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:35 pm

cheers for the input guys :)

okay..so the aussies get the sexy ladies, but we get to legally modify haha im so stoked im in new zealand

Return to “General”