Problems with the little blackbox and the Factory ebc.

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Problems with the little blackbox and the Factory ebc.

Postby Hyperblade » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:25 am

This is on dads T2. So only modifications are removing Cat. Wastegate is working. All hoses on.

However we are hitting fuel cut at 5000rpm.

Now if we block off the number 32 line to the blackbox it works fine, that's the one that goes to the ebc. So basically we make the plumbing just like a T1 turbo with no ebc and it runs fine.

However when we connect it up to the blackbox. It over boosts very bad.

Originally in the blackbox the number 32 line was actually venting straight into the atmosphere effectively meaning the wastegate was only seeing 0psi all the time. We fixed it but for some reason its still over boosting.

We blew some air down the 32 line into the blackbox, and the solenoid stopped it all, which means that it should be working.

Which leaves the problem down to some type of sensor or communication to the solenoid.

Anyone with any clues on what to check regarding sensors for the factory ebc?

James

Postby James » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:46 pm

That is an interesting one. Ill have a think and get back to you.

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:21 pm

bigelboe wrote:That is an interesting one. Ill have a think and get back to you.

When the turbo blew it dumped a heap of oil down that pipe, we think it could have stuffed the solenoid. Possible?

We also have the boost gauge doing really random stuff like showing full boost, or showing half boost then slowly dropping.

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:16 pm

sorry to hyjack your post...
i think ive discovered why my battery keeps going flat,the other day when i was changing the breaks etc i heard this fast clicking sound... i promptly shat my pants thinking it was one of the jacks giving way and scurried out from under the car only to see that the car was not moving off the jacks and the noise continued,i put my ear against the bonnet and felt the click thru my head then i opened the bonnet and found that one of the solinoids on the black box was going mental :lol: all by its self 3 hours after the car had been switched off.

James

Postby James » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:32 pm

Thats pretty nuts turbocab, maybe try another ECU?

Hyper, I did think about having a stuffed solenoid but as long as it can shut it should be fine as the turbo 2 EBC is just a bleed system. (assuming youve got it piped up correctly :P)

Your boost guage going silly is somewhat worrying, where is your boost guage hooked up to?

Had another thought, maybe you have thrown the turbo 2 ebc maps a bit out of wack cause youve removed the cat? Anyone else running a standard T2 sans cat?

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:43 pm

I would try and figure out why the boost guage is working erraticly,, sounds a bit sinister eh?

Cheers

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:43 pm

bigelboe wrote:Thats pretty nuts turbocab, maybe try another ECU?

Hyper, I did think about having a stuffed solenoid but as long as it can shut it should be fine as the turbo 2 EBC is just a bleed system. (assuming youve got it piped up correctly :P)

Your boost guage going silly is somewhat worrying, where is your boost guage hooked up to?

Had another thought, maybe you have thrown the turbo 2 ebc maps a bit out of wack cause youve removed the cat? Anyone else running a standard T2 sans cat?

Well we can't blow down number 32 which would mean the solenoids closed, which means it then goes to the wastegate which works correctly

But it doesn't when its attached to the ebc.

By boost gauge i mean the stock factory one.

We have removed the cat on all of the cars no problems. The only thing different on this one is that the sensor going into the exhaust manifold is currently blocked off and we don't know if that might be affecting it. Im guessing it could be a mixture sensor?

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:46 pm

which sensor?
the one going into the cat isnt a problem..

The one going into the manifold itself is needed.
its the one that if you pulled it out would come out across the gearbox?

If that makes sense?

Cheers

Jw

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:04 pm

QikLude wrote:which sensor?
the one going into the cat isnt a problem..

The one going into the manifold itself is needed.
its the one that if you pulled it out would come out across the gearbox?

If that makes sense?

Cheers

Jw

Yeah thats the one.

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:07 pm

thats the 02 sensor, very important, im not sure it would cause all the problems you have, but its not a thing to leave out!

normal proplems would be computer code, bad fueling and of course it will try and go into limp home mode, which could explain your issues, BUT more likely its just not fueling right so will do eratic things..

Cheers

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:54 pm

QikLude wrote:thats the 02 sensor, very important, im not sure it would cause all the problems you have, but its not a thing to leave out!

normal proplems would be computer code, bad fueling and of course it will try and go into limp home mode, which could explain your issues, BUT more likely its just not fueling right so will do eratic things..

Cheers

We figured as much.

However its been going great and no problems other then the overboosting.

It was previously disconnected and was going fine.

We are going to replace it to at least eliminate it, but its a bitch to get at.

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:57 am

yes it can be.

you really need a proper 02 sensor socket.
that way you A: dont strip outside thread, B: easily get it out, C: dont damage the connecting wire.

Cheers

James

Postby James » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:59 pm

No O2 sensor is not causing those problems, you can safely disconnect it and the car works fine. Idle might be slightly richer than normal. Even if it calls an error code 1 (I think thats the 02 one) the car runs fine and idles smooth.

The only thing it does is tune your idle and low load mixtures a bit better to save fuel, has no effect on full throttle operation.

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:45 am

yes anyway, get a boost guage in there and take a look.
My car currently has a bif vacume leak and does ery similar things, wont idle correctly, doesnt always start, sometimes runs ok, mostly not, wont boost and fuel correctly....
:roll:

Lesson - Always get new manifolds surfaced....

Cheers

James

Postby James » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:34 pm

That must be a hell of a vacuum leak mate, you sure its not something else? Possibly a bung ignition coil?

Return to “General”