Quaife City Diff, The Numbers (warning: large images)

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
James
Moderator / Donating Member

Quaife City Diff, The Numbers (warning: large images)

Postby James » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:37 pm

Hey guys, I finally got around to measuring the T2 diff I removed from my spare box against the quaife technical drawing, and well Im going to let the pictures do the talking...

D1

D2

D3

L1

L2

L2/a

L3

L4

D4

Splines are correct.

So all this means that with some fairly minimal modifications, like drilling 10 new holes for the slightly larger ring gear PCD of the T2, or redrilling the T2 ring gear, but that leaves you with not a lot of meat inside the holes, but it would probably do the trick. Would also need to machine 2.5mm off one end of those spigots and 4.3ish off the other.

Not sure if the speedo gear fromt he T2 would fit on the quaife, could well do, but if it didnt then an electonic speedo could be sorted without too much trouble I should imagine.

All reasonably minor and then you would get a quaife diff to put in your T2 box! And the absolutely insane part? Quaife are having a 50% off special on this diff at the moment!!

http://www.quaife.co.uk/Honda-Civic-City-Quaife-ATB-differential-50-discount

If I wasn't In debt at the moment I would have already bought one... Someone else out there live my fantasy, Im looking at you turbo11 :shock:

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:56 pm

very interesting but thats still $630 aussie dollars then more to ship it over...
ime going to have to get a second job :wink:

James

Postby James » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:11 pm

Yeah I know what you mean. Considering they are usually close to $1400 thats a pretty good price.

turbo11
Donating Member

Postby turbo11 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:22 pm

Well i looked at it and yep i had to do it, ive just ordered mine :D :D just waiting on the frieght price and it will be on its way. This is cheaper than getting one fitted here by my local gearbox bloke after he has to sorce parts for it.

If anyone wants one and wants to share the freight you better let me know asap as i will confirm and pay tomoza.

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:43 pm

i cant do it for a few weeks yet :cry:
and dont feel too bad bigelboe ime perpetually in debt :oops:
you are absolutly sure that with minor mods as described they will work? if they dont ile be forced to send chuck norris round to your place :twisted:

James

Postby James » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:45 pm

Freakin ay you don't waste any time turbo11!!

I can only be as sure as the measurements they have given but as you can see it all looks pretty good.

I think the best way to do the ring gear would be to have a ring machined to fit inside it to bring its ID down to the correct one, weld this ring on, have the gear heat treated to relieve the stresses from welding, then drill the new holes or slot the old ones. This would be slightly more expensive but would end up with a really quality product I feel. As I believe the centre ring is probably somewhat important in centering the ring gear on the diff.

I also think the speedo gear will transfer over 'cause from the drawing it looks like it has the flat for the speedo gear, as the factory one is just heated then shrunk down over the diff carrier, so to remove it you have to heat it locally then pull it off, then should just be a heat it again and pop it over the quaife.

I also found in an old post that John S from america said he had heard from someone on the 1st gen civic forum that you could fit the quaife civic diff to a T2 box with modifcations so yeah, I recon it sounds blardy good.

I just found something quite interesting, the CRX VTEC diff has the correct ring gear PCD and bearing diameter but is a bit different in its width between bearings and stuff, and the distance from the bearing to the ring gear face so would require at least a spacer, so I still think the QDF3U is the best option.

Fingers crossed it all is as simple as I think it is turbo11!! Hopefully its air freight so we can have some developments quickly.

Im going to try my absolute hardest to save up enough money in the next 3 weeks of work (Then I have to go back to uni) but I'm not terribly hopeful.

turbo11
Donating Member

Postby turbo11 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:06 pm

Hey Bigelboe, no need to waste time when its such a good deal and it will be straight of to my gearbox guy asap. Im gunna have to sell my 2nd T2 to pay for this now.

James

Postby James » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:58 pm

Hmnn what Have I got I could sell, any one want a soul?

Or maybe some nads, I wont need mine after my girlfriend finds out I want to spend our holiday savings on "more bloody car parts"

scienceboy
Forum Participant

Postby scienceboy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:35 pm

Nah ... not really lookin for a soul!..........How much you want for the nads ?.........Buy now????........or would you prefer to let the auction run ???...........Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Just kidding mate ............have to go to hospital now , I think i just burst a lung!

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:36 pm

bigelboe wrote:Or maybe some nads, I wont need mine after my girlfriend finds out I want to spend our holiday savings on "more bloody car parts"

thats one good point for your girlie being thousnds of ks away across the world,now i have somthing to put next to the thousands of bad points :cry:

two birds with one stone.....sell the missus :?:

turbo11
Donating Member

Postby turbo11 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:11 pm

Just an update on the diff, shipping hurt a bit but still the diff only owes me about $830ish but its on its way and will be here in a couple of weeks. More soon

James

Postby James » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:30 pm

Wicked awesome, I was guessing about 50 pounds for shipping, looks about right from your price there :/ DId you ask them if the lifetime guarantee still applies even tho you actulaly have to modify it to get it to fit a gearbox they list?

I had another thought, you might not even have to shorten the sides down, they might not foul the shafts.

ProT
Donating Member

Postby ProT » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:22 pm

Could one of these diffs also be adapted to fit in a T1 ?

If so I would be interested in a couple of weeks time.

James

Postby James » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:47 am

Im not sure about the T1 but my guess is no. the T1 box is based on the EN1 5 speed but the T2 box is based on the EW 5 speed from the flatback civics.

Why not just get a T2 box? They are a bit better designed and its easier to get beefy clutches for them too.

turbo11
Donating Member

Postby turbo11 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:12 am

Hey Bigelboe, Nah freight was more than 50 more like 70. Now i have to pull down both my T2 boxes and make one good one.

Return to “General”