Troubles with starting

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
SuperMegaCity

Troubles with starting

Postby SuperMegaCity » Thu May 17, 2007 4:42 pm

Hi everyone. I have a 1985 City Pro T for about 3 weeks now and most of the time when I start a cold engine, it has trouble starting. I pull the choke to full, turn the key, allow the starter motor to do its thing but it just wont ignite. I release the choke, and turn the key again and it still doesn't want to start. I leave it for a while and then try again but this time i touch the accelerator a bit to increase the air intake.

It starts, black smoke comes out the back and I put the choke on to allow the engine to warm up. Then after a while the engine starts vibrating fairly violently and at fairly low rpm. Driving for a while the vibration disappears.

When engine is warm I have no problems starting it.

I replaced the sparkies, inspected the dizzy and is ok, but the ignition leads look a bit old.

Could it be the carbie?

Any help would be greatly appreciated please thanks..

jay
Forum Enthusiast

Postby jay » Thu May 17, 2007 7:09 pm

it sounds like you are flooding it this means there is to much fuel and not enough air, when you pull the choke on it reduces the amount of air flow to the carby wich runs it that little bit richer, which is good for a cold start also the choke idels the engin up just a little bit. Try by pulling the choke out just a little bit then try starting it if it dosent start pull the chock out a bit more, also it sounds like your carby could do with a clean out and a tune

SuperMegaCity

Postby SuperMegaCity » Thu May 17, 2007 7:39 pm

Yeah I am gonna pull the carbie off and clean it properly as i got good pipe cleaners for a carbie and solvent to get any scum off the walls of the components.

its strange that when the engine starts it idles smooth, but after a while it will violently shake and then when i release the choke, it will continue to shake at lower rpm, but then after a while it idles smooth again.

I am throwing in a new alarm system that will have remote ignition so i need it to be able to start quick.. lol I have it as a business car and I am doing it up slowly. At the moment its just basic upgrades, stereo, paint touch up, engine overhaul, window tint, new 3 or 5 spoke wheels, etc etc. :)

mangusta
Forum Enthusiast

Postby mangusta » Thu May 31, 2007 11:47 am

The shaking you talk about when the choke is kept on is caused by the engine getting up towards running temp.

As it does, the misture gets too rich and it chugs. To reduce this, push the choke in in small steps as you begin driving, this is why auto chokes took off so well ;-)

Return to “General”