Intro: 1983 Honda City Turbo 1

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
3GCVC
Forum Addict

Intro: 1983 Honda City Turbo 1

Postby 3GCVC » Mon May 28, 2007 2:33 pm

Hi all picked up this 83 city turbo in the weekend thought i would share with you.

Paid 150 for it (great deal)
it has a blown headgasket im told motor in it is complete but when i got there i had to reassemble the driveshafts put the traction bars back on and re install the brake calipers, car also had no engine mount bolts but it didnt fall out.

it came with another T1 engine complete, nice 13 inch mags and good tires(rears are brand new) it also has a full 2.5inch exhaust but it had been cut after the cat so will need some work, there is also a complete stainless custom intake from the turbo to mount a pod filter behind the LH headlight.

car also has a bit of a rough interior so will need to be cleaned up also there is no back seats in it at the moment.

everything is there to put it back together except for one front fog light and some bolts.

now for the photos this is of us A-framing it home 100km drive with my trusty old 86 accord. lol

then pictures of the car when i got it back to my shed.
theres that big exhaust system

engine in the back and rest of the parts to put it back together.

plans for it are to put the engine in it in the next couple of weeks get it a WOF and then start cleaning it up(damn red overspray on LH front fender). also will be adding a boost gauge and tap, blow off valve and a front mount intercooler.

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Hyperblade » Mon May 28, 2007 3:33 pm

Nice, good luck and welcome to the site :)

sin-city_turbo
Forum Regular

Postby sin-city_turbo » Tue May 29, 2007 7:35 pm

GOOD SCORE bro!! good luck with the project

ed

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:09 am

spent the day friday removing the blown engine and getting the new engine ready to put in, swapped on the best clutch and put the old box on as its done lower KMs took the turbo off and the wastegate flapper was rusted solid shut so had to get the old turbo off and use that.

after removing the engine.

took the good turbo home friday night and worked on it before starting again on saturday.
cleaned it up and used a Dremel tool to port out the wastegate.

returned early the next morning reassembled the motor and got it ready for dropping into the car(removed that bullshit AC bracket as i did not see the point in useless weight)

thats all the exhaust it has for now thanks to the last butchers who cut the pipe off after the cat.(im fabbing up a dump pipe for it)
motor ready to go back into the car, after sorting out the million vacume lines making sure they were all were they should be.

some quick bogging, ahem; i mean rust work...

here it is fully assembled just a few engine bay parts to go.

heres the complete exhaust system. standad till the cat the cat is gutted and thats it.

started up first go, bled the cooling system it came off fast idle temperature behaved idle was a bit low but it still ran, sounded mint took it for a drive it was all good, boost was 8psi after we hooked up a gauge but that was due to the wastegate mods.

and then it broke the ignition kept turning on and off and playing up missfiring so we managed to get it back into the shed took out the dodgy homemade turbo timer and returned the ignition to standad and swapped the main relay with another known working one but still nothing,

when the key is turned on the PGM-FI light comes on and stays on fuel doesnt prime no error codes from the ECU and it doesnt flash or light up, nothing when ignition is turned on. Think its the ECU so going to hopefully get another one today to try see if it will work after that.

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:24 pm

Thanks for the update.

8psi is the standard boost for those engines.

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:36 pm

got it going again.

i thought standad boost was 11-12psi or is that in fact only for T2s?
what do the T1s run standad, and is the boost cut the same as T2?

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:00 pm

Standard boost is

T1 = 8psi
T2 = 12psi

Im sure boost cut would be changed for them? Someone more knowledgeable in that area will have to answer you.

mangusta
Forum Enthusiast

Postby mangusta » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:29 pm

T1 Standard boost is 11-12psi.

Porting the wastegate will drop the boost level. To correct this, you must install a boost controller.

Cheers
Paul

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:35 pm

i would have moved the battery and done the air filter that side :/

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:17 pm

the air intake came with it when i brought it, im not complaining looks and flows better than standad but i probably will modify it a bit.

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:17 pm

did some work saturday and sunday.
installed the boost gauge and blow off valve, still working on an intercooler and boost controller...

had to make an adaptor for the blow off valve to fit onto the standad charge pipe, took about 3hrs lol all we had was an arc welder, angle grinder some exhaust pipe and an air powered die grinder.

some nice ugly welds(not mine... had to clean them up later and reweld some leaks)
ported out the inside make sure we werent loosing any flow.
fitting it up

i didnt realize fabbing up stuff took so long it definately isnt the best to look at but it works and doesnt leak (after playing with piping and hose clamps for about an hour)

we mounted up the boost gauge in the right hand vent as it had been put there by the previous owner but removed when sold to me.

next on the list is the intercooler (and piping) as well as a boost controller, oh and maybe i might just get the rest of that dump pipe made as well.

Return to “General”