Upper stabiliser bar/engine mount strangeness

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
falco
Forum Regular

Upper stabiliser bar/engine mount strangeness

Postby falco » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:25 am

Just a question. When I got the engine for my Civic conversion, I grabbed the upper stabiliser bar (engine mount) as well, the one that goes from the engine near the dsitributor to the bulkhead. The rubber bush on one end was very loose, it could be wobbled around inside the ring it sits in. I assumed I was missing something, but I found another one yesterday, and it's the same. I'm puzzled - normally I want the engine to be as stable and firm as possible, with no looseness in the mounts. Are these bars supposed to be like that, or have I ended up with two that are both missing something?

f.

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:07 am

just fill that gap with sikaflex it'l fix it right up.
matt

falco
Forum Regular

Postby falco » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:37 pm

What I'll probably do is make a steel sleeve that fills the gap, but I'm still wondering if that's how they are on the original cars, or if both of mine have worn or are missing something...

f.

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Hyperblade » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:58 pm

All of them are like that.

falco
Forum Regular

Postby falco » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:04 pm

OK, thanks for the info. That's wierd! Anyone have any idea why it's like that?

f.
Last edited by falco on Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

James

Postby James » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:38 am

Nah its pretty strange, maybe they were all originally a bit better fit but have all shrunk with age?

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:04 am

when i bought citycabrolets's old t2 to pull apart there was a brand new one in one of the boxes of parts that came with it and it also had that gap...but when i say brand new it was still most likely a 20 yearold part.
matt

James

Postby James » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:23 pm

Yeah its a bit weird, makes the car a lot smoother to drive if you fill it up with goop.

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:33 pm

i think my lower and/or side engine mount rubber blocks are stuffed too because the rear one is solid as a rock but there is still that nasty clunking going on....i wonder if i can get new ones :? maby pro t ones are the same anyone know?
matt

James

Postby James » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:11 am

Might be better off getting someone to make you some out of urethane? I know quite a few of the guys over here get it done for their B series civics and tegs.

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:39 pm

bigelboe wrote:Yeah its a bit weird, makes the car a lot smoother to drive if you fill it up with goop.

What would you rather have, all the shock going into a loose rubber engine mount, or something internal...

Just my 2c no idea why its like that...

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:02 pm

bigelboe...can you buy the "eurathane" you speak of?if so what kind of places sell it?
hyperblade...in theory there should be no "shock" if the engine has no room to move with tight mounts,sure you may get a little force being exerted in the points of the car where the mounts connect but ide say that would be far better than the small thud that a worn or loose mount would create..
my 2 cents
matty

James

Postby James » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:40 am

HyperBlade wrote:
bigelboe wrote:Yeah its a bit weird, makes the car a lot smoother to drive if you fill it up with goop.

What would you rather have, all the shock going into a loose rubber engine mount, or something internal...

Just my 2c no idea why its like that...

Having large amounts of engine movements just leads to accelerated wear for so many parts, any hoses and exhausts and all sorts of things, cyclical loadings are not good for part life.

As for the urethane people usually use stuff called windscreen sealant. Any of the big hardware stores sell urethane sealer tho, mitre 10 or bunnings. Just go have a browse and read the labels.

mangusta
Forum Enthusiast

Postby mangusta » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:05 am

A Near perfect sleeve for the mounting bush can be made from a 40mm poly pipe joiner.

Take the joiner (80c at bunnings) and cust a strip roughly 1cm wide from the cylinder, cut it ti the right length, then put it around the bush. We had to use a couple of hose clamps to squeeze it down a tad to get it in, but once done, it is near perfect.

As bigelboe said, you need it to be tight as you will suffer damage if the engine can roll around on that strut.

falco
Forum Regular

Postby falco » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:16 am

OK, now that's the sort of info I like. Simple, easy and effective solutions! I'll give that a try.

f.

Return to “General”