How to get power

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
toiletduck1

How to get power

Postby toiletduck1 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:16 pm

Hi Guys,

Im yet to purchase a City Turbo II (but i will!).

Im really new to these forums and I have done some searching but come up with nothing concrete so far.. Basically what im trying to achieve is 110kw @ the front wheels with a honda city. From reading this is what I have come up with:

K&N Air Filter w/ Stainless Piping, 2.5" Turbo Back Exhaust w/ HighFlow Cat, TurboSmart Fuel Cut Defender, TurboSmart Single Stage Boost Controller w/ Rocket Switch, Tighe Cams 946 (Fast Road STD Engine) Cam Profile, GFB Hybrid Blow Off Valve, Cooling Pro Universal Intercooler - 550 x 180 x 65mm - 2.25" Outlets, Custom 2.25" Piping for Intercooler, Tune Turbo @ Approx. 17 - 19 PSI (High Boost) 10 - 12 PSI (Stock Boost).

Would I be right in guessing this would get me a reasonably safe 110kw @ the fronts & High 12's for Quarter mile times?

I possibly may need a custom LSD to put power to the ground I think?

Any info / direction would be great!

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Re: How to get power

Postby James » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:24 pm

toiletduck1 wrote:110kw @ the front wheels (~180HP at the engine)

K&N Air Filter w/ Stainless Piping

Yeah sounds good, will want a pod type not a replacement panel. Consider using an apexi pod filter, they outflow K&N by a significant margin and also filter FAR better AND have a lifetime warranty.

2.5" Turbo Back Exhaust w/ HighFlow Cat

Yup also sounds good.

TurboSmart Fuel Cut Defender, TurboSmart Single Stage Boost Controller w/ Rocket Switch

Also sounds fine.

Tighe Cams 946 (Fast Road STD Engine) Cam Profile

Very important component, efficient breathing is how you are going to make that power. You will need to do some throttle body work too, either significantly enlargening factory ones or replacing them with something larger.

Cooling Pro Universal Intercooler - 550 x 180 x 65mm - 2.25" Outlets, Custom 2.25" Piping for Intercooler

IMHO thats far too small a core. If you worked out the equivalent pipe size the crosssectional area of that core reprasented you would probably find its about 1.5". I would be going for something more like 500x300 or 500x400. The one in my car is about 400x250x65 with the air flowing across the 250 length so it appears as quite a large pipe. I would probably upgrade this If I wanted the power you are chasing.

Tune Turbo @ Approx. 17 - 19 PSI (High Boost) 10 - 12 PSI (Stock Boost).

You will be on the efficiency limit of a factory T2 turbo, the law of diminishing returns will come in hard once the boost starts getting up around 20psi. Give it a go, no one has really tried and documented it on this forum so it would be interesting to see. If the T2 turbo does end up to small its pretty easy to fit a bigger one or a hybrid.

Don't forget you are going to need bigger injectors and some way of controlling them to get a decent tune.

Would I be right in guessing this would get me a reasonably safe 110kw @ the fronts & High 12's for Quarter mile times?

I possibly may need a custom LSD to put power to the ground I think?

An LSD will help you a lot with getting 1/4 times down that low.

Angus Button has a 1st gen civic that was bored out to 1400cc turbo. It made around 180 HP atw from memory (your going for around 150), he ran high 12's on 185 semi slicks. Getting an LSD (even a crap one like a phantom grip) dropped his ET's by about another 0.5sec. In saying that its difficult to compare the cars because the EB3 motor he was using is very revvy, whereas a city motor is gonna make buttloads of tq and want to break traction a lot more.

toiletduck1

Postby toiletduck1 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:46 pm

Don't forget you are going to need bigger injectors and some way of controlling them to get a decent tune.

Any suggestions injector and computer wise? I see alot of you guys are running prelude injectors (is that 4 or all 5). Computer wise there doesnt seem to be a lot i can find.

Thanks Bigelboe ill take that all into consideration.

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:13 pm

Bigleboe the T2R's ran the standard Turbo at 22psi...

James

Postby James » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:15 pm

Indeed they did hyper, but they also ran a lot of other things that really destroyed their power potential.
Like stock intake piping and intercooler, 2" exhaust, stock throttle body etc. With a few well selected changes they could have made another 30-40hp easy peasy but obviously they decided to go for a more factory setup.

sin-city_turbo
Forum Regular

Postby sin-city_turbo » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:02 pm

I have just stuffed in some injectors from a Honda Accord F22a engine. They are size ably bigger than standard city t1 injectors.

I just thought i would try something different than the vtec prelude injectors most are using, plus Im sure they wouldn't be as free flowing as the prelude injectors, therefor not giving such a horrifically rich mixture.

I have only used the main 4 injectors, have left the top 5th injector standard.

will post results on how they really do run when speedtech has finished my manifold with my vf10 turbo.

also, changing injectors is a mission haha :!:

my 2 cents :D

toiletduck1

Postby toiletduck1 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:25 am

Is an Apexi SAFC II an injector controller of sorts if I upgrade the injectors? Or would I need to go full piggy back ECU such as an Apexi Power FC?

So so far I need to add to my list..

240cc injectors
Apexi SAFC II

Thanks.

James

Postby James » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:24 pm

sin-city_turbo wrote:I have just stuffed in some injectors from a Honda Accord F22a engine. They are size ably bigger than standard city t1 injectors.

I just thought i would try something different than the vtec prelude injectors most are using, plus Im sure they wouldn't be as free flowing as the prelude injectors, therefor not giving such a horrifically rich mixture.

I have only used the main 4 injectors, have left the top 5th injector standard.

will post results on how they really do run when speedtech has finished my manifold with my vf10 turbo.

also, changing injectors is a mission haha :!:

my 2 cents :D

Im fairly sure the f22 injectors will be the same as the b20 prelude ones people use. B16 ones are the same aswell I tihnk. Heaps of different honda motors use the same 240cc injectors.

Will be interesting to see how laggy your car is with a vf10, would be a good compressor upgrade for my hybrid exhaust housing.

You might be able to get a half decent tune from a SAFC II, not sure don't have any experience with them. Personally I would spend a few hundy and get a second hand fuel only microtech or something.

sin-city_turbo
Forum Regular

Postby sin-city_turbo » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:43 pm

Bigelboe, the reason i went for the F22 injectors was because i thought the "prelude" injectors people were using were the H22A series vtec prelude injectors

and seeing as the power outputs of the two vehicles would differ, i would have thought they would be a little smaller and less hardcore.

im a little disappointed now haha

And yes i realize that the big vf10 will be laggy but, it will offer great returns when on boost

Return to “General”