James' Civic Rebuild Thread + High Power ER Motor Theory

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:37 pm

Restarted work on reverse engineering the T2 ECU code, its going well, I have quite a bit more experience with programming now so it should go a bit faster. I will be using some parts from work to build a datalogger soon, this will fit to a basically stock ECU (just needs a header soldered on) and should be able to record the majority of the running parameters.

James

Postby James » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:37 am

I have worked out how to datalog from the stock ECU, will use a bare minimum of parts, one simple controller, and a serial cable to a laptop. Should be able to read any RAM memory location which will make adjustments and things a lot easier.

Also, last night I devised a way of very simply modifying the ECU to allow real-time programming of the fuel maps and other values like boost cut and things. This will require ever so slightly more complicated hardware (not by much) and a relatively simple PC interface. If anyone has c# or microcontroller experience or something and wants to contribute, it would be great if they could contact me.

Basically the method is to change the addresses that the ECU uses for fuel table lookups (currently they point to the ROM on the ecu), to the address of the datalogging port. This basically means the ECU will ask the datalogging port for the fuel maps. So all I have to do is have a controller connected to the port that serves up the maps when asked. The handy thing is we can in turn connect to this controller from a PC, and edit the maps as we see fit, in real time, without the ECU knowing it. The changes to the ECU code are minimal (like 5 numbers) so the potential for bugs is also kept to a minimum.

Basically I'm doing this during my work lunch hour, working on my car for an hour or so each night after work, then looking at the ECU stuff again at bed time. So I should be making some serious inroads, all other things have on the backburner until my car is driving again.

News on the body work on my car, the front wheel arches are stripped, seam welded, seam sealed, painted, and undersealed. Tonight I am putting suspension back in the thing, and getting it ready to be towed to its new home, when its there the engine bay will be getting seam sealed, the wiper panel stripped and painted, and the engine installed :O From there I will alternatively work on wiring and plumbing up the engine, and the remaining bodywork (roof, doors, bonnet, back end of car, bumpers). Having all these things to do will hopefully remove the problem that doing bodywork for weeks on end is painfully boring.

James

Postby James » Tue May 25, 2010 3:53 pm

Still working on this, also primed my bonnet on the weekend, so chipping away at it.

Should be well ready for experimenting with the code by the time my car is ready to test it on.

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Tue May 25, 2010 5:05 pm

and somewhere in between building some shock absorbers for turbocab :wink:

James

Postby James » Tue May 25, 2010 6:21 pm

Yup, nearly got the workshop setup, put the lathe together on the weekend. Need to get some internal and external threading tools that don't break the bank tho.

James

Postby James » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:14 pm

Still working on the Civic every week, the engine is nearly ready to go in semi-permanently after being in and out a few times. The doors and roof just need a bit of a tidy up and then it will be driving, finally getting me around to making suspension. Full time work sucks.

On the plus side, this is my new daily:

Prelude Type S, 220ps H22a, ATTS traction control (amazing), quite low on 18"s.

Some other news, I have been borrowing Colzas Turbo b18c DC2 integra for a few weeks, making 300hp, its pretty wild, all built and tuned by him.

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:38 am

Looks sweet,

Did you end up getting any threading tooling? might have a task or two for you and your lathe whenever you end up with some time.

James

Postby James » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:41 pm

Nearly ready to prime the roof and rear 1/4s of the civic, been sorting out all the wiring, its going to be driving soon!!

Suspension is winging its way from New York to Fresno, California for a mate to pick up and bring here next week, along with a brand new front windscreen seal.

James

Postby James » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:41 am

Suspension and seal have been delivered, I will be in possession of them next week.

Slam panel is finally welded on, only took about a year :roll: Just need to prime that, and around the windows then the glass is going back in, then the dash and the wiring + engine and assorted stuff. Keeping the wiring rearward of the firewall basically stock but hiding all the engine bay wiring.

Flywheel and clutch pressure plate is all skimmed and ready to go back on (lathes are awesome). Will just be an open diff T1 gearbox for the moment (to get it rolling) but the LSD and a T2 gearbox will be replacing it at some stage.

James

Postby James » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:42 pm

Underside of slam panel sandblasted and primed, this is the one I got in 3 pieces from the 'states and stitched back together.

Plug welded in.

Stripped and primed :D Finally making some progress.

My new ride height, around 85mm ground clearence at the crossmember :o

a_spec
Forum Participant

Postby a_spec » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:03 pm

What a thread, spanning over a few years!!!

Whats the update? Did you hit the 200hp mark????

James

Postby James » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:37 pm

Did some more priming today, did the right hand side of the car, just the doors and the tailgate to do now, getting excited!

classichondasrule
Forum Enthusiast

Postby classichondasrule » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:38 am

any updates James?? :) :) :)
i been watching this thread for while but my interest has been spiked by my current daily..
mine does need to be lower lol just a bit anyway, lol :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

smithy13
Forum Participant

Postby smithy13 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:29 am

Dean, do you know if the struts off the gen2 will fit a jazz?

classichondasrule
Forum Enthusiast

Postby classichondasrule » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:21 am

Don't think so Smithy, not to my knowledge anyway :? :? 8) 8)

Return to “General”