screamer pipe

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
bjmacfun

screamer pipe

Postby bjmacfun » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:21 pm

Has anyone here made the leap and modified their turbo to accommodate a screamer pipe? the reason i ask is, does it sound cool on such a small engine or is it really dumb?

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:30 pm

Colza has seperated the wastegate flow from the main flow, so you could make a screamer from it, Mike_NZ now has that dump.

It would probably sound pretty similar to a larger car. I am not a fan of them tho, they really are obscenely loud. I live on a busy corner and bloody hate it when evo's and subbies with screamers cane up the road and it hurts your ears when your inside.

One thing I am considering trying is routing the wastegate seperately to the rear of the car, its what the bolt on mugen exhaust for the T2 did, its pretty cool and probly sounds quite mean too, wouldn't be as loud as a normal screamer.

city_mad
Forum Regular

Postby city_mad » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:04 am

you dont want to put a sreamer pipe on a inturnel wastgate as they are allways open and just sounds like a big leck wich is dum. sreamers were designed to go on exturnel wastgates wich only open when your on boost and makes the "sreaming" sound

James

Postby James » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:50 am

If you put a decent boost controller on an internal wastegate it should only open when you come up to full boost.

city_mad
Forum Regular

Postby city_mad » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:32 pm

tru tru i havnt tryd that one .i nomaly dont bother with internal wastgates

si
Donating Member

Postby si » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:08 pm

bigelboe wrote:If you put a decent boost controller on an internal wastegate it should only open when you come up to full boost.

And full boost is pretty low down with the standard turbo so it's still going to sound horrible. Unless you're going for a bigger turbo with external wastegate don't bother.

James

Postby James » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:36 am

Full boost with a boost controll should be like 14-15psi, thats not really low boost in anyones books is it?

But yes I agree, screamers are shit!!

Caleb
Donating Member

Postby Caleb » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:10 pm

what's a screamer i thought it was a blow off valve that made the ttiizzzzzzzz noise, what's what I'm confused :oops:

James

Postby James » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:45 pm

A screamer is a short pipe you hook up to your wastegate so the car screams loudly when you are driving on full boost.

eb-mugen
Forum Participant

want to buy a screamer pipe

Postby eb-mugen » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:36 pm

hey there guys if any1 knows of any 1 selling a screamer pipe or mike_nz if yr interested in selling the pipe can u let me no thanks

Hyperblade

Re: want to buy a screamer pipe

Postby Hyperblade » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:24 am

eb-mugen wrote:hey there guys if any1 knows of any 1 selling a screamer pipe or mike_nz if yr interested in selling the pipe can u let me no thanks

Please speak proper english and not txt speak, the next post you do with it will be deleted.

Mike_NZ
Donating Member

Postby Mike_NZ » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:48 am

hey there guys if any1 knows of any 1 selling a screamer pipe or mike_nz if yr interested in selling the pipe can u let me no thanks

Sorry man the pipe is part of my exhaust now. Here's a picture of it before it got installed.

The smaller pipe comes off the wastegate and blends back into the exhaust about 20cm further down. If you wanted it to be a screamer you'd just not blend them back together, and have the small pipe venting directly to the atmosphere.

James

Postby James » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:38 pm

Wow, didn't realise It had gotten quite that rusty!

si
Donating Member

Postby si » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:54 pm

bigelboe wrote:Full boost with a boost controll should be like 14-15psi, thats not really low boost in anyones books is it?

Ahh, I meant low down in the rev range. You would get that sorta boost at what.. 3000rpm with the standard turbo? Can't remember, it's been too long since i drove the thing! :(

Return to “General”