Horopito Wreckers Road Trip 56k Warning

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
James
Moderator / Donating Member

Horopito Wreckers Road Trip 56k Warning

Postby James » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:44 pm

Not really city related but interesting all the same :D

As some of you, I have been hunting for a instrument cluster for my car with a factory Tacho in it. Mad mini sent me this photo yesterday,

Which obviously got me pretty excited, thats the JDM cluster out of the Top Spec CX model civic that I was after! After talking to him we found out that it was in a car at a wreckers in Horopito, an apparently world famous vintage car wreckers about 2 hours drive from here.

http://www.horopitomotors.co.nz/

So I wasn't going to take any chances with this so Colza and I decided to make a bit of a road trip out of it and cruise up there this morning.

Took a pic of the map on my PC so I could browse it on my camera:D

First things first, we fill up with gas,

:cry: Apparently 98 octane in Palmy has broken the magical $2 mark without much fanfare. Anyway, on with the trip. Was a nice drive, sunny most of the way as we were racing the rain.

That was the next thing of interest, be a bit of a pig to tow that thing out of there!

Anyway so we got there, and the kind desk lady directed us to walk through the door and see if we could find someone in the workshop to show us where the civics would be. This is what we walked through,

We were thinking, ok this is looking pretty much like our garage so far, but maybe a bit more organized. So there was no one there so we just wandered down into the car yards.

This is part of one of the yards, this one had mainly newer cars in it, say 1940's+ :P

Some random old car looking a bit sad.

So we made our way through the piles and mud and lo and behold, there was the CX civic perched in all its glory.

Yuss, this is looking good.

So I have a digg around and it has pretty much all the cool CX only parts that I was looking for. The neat CX grill/badge, AirCon, Crazy Instruments, 1-piece moulded carpet different door trims, blacked out B pillars and window surrouns and the other main thing I have been looking for for years, a rear swaybar!!

So by now Im celibrating, once I was done salivating over the CX we had a wander around to see if there was any other cool cars (ie 2nd gen civics :P).

1st Gen Prelude, mostly complete, this is the car that the CX was styled after, very similar fitout.

Notice the cool dash.

Another couple of 2nd gens, square headlight wagon on top, round headlight hatch underneath.

Some crazy Subaru we couldn't Identify

Another 2nd Gen

And another

AWESOME old Citroen just begging to be pimped.

Was two City E's but I forgot to take pics :( Would have made this thread slightly relavent if I had too :P

And so many crazy old cars and trucks that you have never heard of it would boggle your mind.

Anyway after our wander we found someone to give us a hand pulling the parts I wanted, and headed off to the main office. It turned out there was also an inside parts storage area so we went up there to havea look. And thats where this place is just completely unique as far as I know (in NZ anyway). The walls were just FULL of parts from around the 1920's-1990's

Couple of grills and stuff...

Window surround for my 46 Chev please.

Oh you need another dash for your 29 Buick ay, got one right over here.

Handful of headlight surrounds.

Ignition Coil here and there.

Ive run out of vaguly interesting things to say.

Still nothing.

ANOTHER CX grill!

Air cleaner obsession perhaps?

Drum brakes from a horseless carriage?

Few more grilles.

Half a dozen numberplates.

So thats where all the hubcaps go..

Random bits, lots of it New Old Stock.

So yeah, all in all an awesome trip, all those inside parts were upstairs too, can't imagine how much they weigh! Its as much a museum as it is a wreckers, well worth the trip if your heading south in the Central North Island.

madmini
Donating Member

Postby madmini » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:46 pm

looks like ya spent a bit of time there,i have been there twice now and ach time spent at least 2,1/2 -3hours there so anyone going there just be aware you can easly get side tracked time wise,for those in the know it is the film setting of "smash palace" starring bruno larwence,and greer robinson,back in 1980 or 81 i think,also good bye pork pie was filmed there too (mini movie) :D

glad i could help ya out :)

mangusta
Forum Enthusiast

Postby mangusta » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:15 pm

Thos old car missing bonnet is an Austin 1800, they were fantastic cars.... and of course, the Citroen DS, wonderful!!

classichondasrule
Forum Enthusiast

Postby classichondasrule » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:20 am

oh really really wow, what heaven i would love to go there, sadly in england it's not often you find a classic honda in a wreckers they just get crushed, i was told about one near me i went to have a look and chose a few bits and bobs went home decided on nearly the whole car and went back the next day to get them and it had gone to the crusher, aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh i said 4 days it had been there, grrrr.
i'll never forget that, oh well i can pour over these pic's and feel better, lol, you know i remember that film Goodbye Pork Pie, the car was a mini, that was the first road movie i remember seeing, wow i gotta get that movie, thanks for a really great post those pics were really............ well i don't have the word's for how looking at dying cars feels like it's like oooooohhhhh, ouch, oooooooooohhhh ouch,oooooooooooooohhhh, ouch. and nostalgic like a piece of your memory being allowed to remain as long as it can in this world, oops got a bit deep there, hhhhmmmmmm!!!!
thank you that was great....................MORE please!!!!!!!!! lol

TURBOCITYCITY
Forum Enthusiast

Postby TURBOCITYCITY » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:53 am

classichondasrule wrote:oh really really wow, what heaven i would love to go there, sadly in england it's not often you find a classic honda in a wreckers they just get crushed, i was told about one near me i went to have a look and chose a few bits and bobs went home decided on nearly the whole car and went back the next day to get them and it had gone to the crusher, aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh i said 4 days it had been there, grrrr.
i'll never forget that, oh well i can pour over these pic's and feel better, lol, you know i remember that film Goodbye Pork Pie, the car was a mini, that was the first road movie i remember seeing, wow i gotta get that movie, thanks for a really great post those pics were really............ well i don't have the word's for how looking at dying cars feels like it's like oooooohhhhh, ouch, oooooooooohhhh ouch,oooooooooooooohhhh, ouch. and nostalgic like a piece of your memory being allowed to remain as long as it can in this world, oops got a bit deep there, hhhhmmmmmm!!!!

hahaha

your enthusiasm scares me

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:51 pm

TURBOCITYCITY wrote:
classichondasrule wrote:oh really really wow, what heaven i would love to go there, sadly in england it's not often you find a classic honda in a wreckers they just get crushed, i was told about one near me i went to have a look and chose a few bits and bobs went home decided on nearly the whole car and went back the next day to get them and it had gone to the crusher, aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh i said 4 days it had been there, grrrr.

hahaha

your enthusiasm scares me

Haha he got on a bit of a roll there :D I will hopefully have some more pics in the next few weeks/month or so as there are a few other people from around here keen to go up and have a look.

mangusta wrote:Thos old car missing bonnet is an Austin 1800, they were fantastic cars.... and of course, the Citroen DS, wonderful!!

I think someone on another forum said it was an old Cortina? Forum is down atm so I can't check.

mangusta
Forum Enthusiast

Postby mangusta » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:59 am

bigelboe wrote:I think someone on another forum said it was an old Cortina? Forum is down atm so I can't check.

Ah yes, it very well could be, the Austin has the same firewall shape with the heater intake etc, but it's front wheel drive, and that car isn't, so, a mk1 or so cortina it is!

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Sun May 04, 2008 9:43 pm

there is a wreaking yard on the way to the nsw snowy mountains just outside of a town called cooma and it is like that place but the cars just seem to go on forever the last time i went there i ended up walking around for 4 hours dreaming about hotrod possibilities and most of the cars out there have only surface rust because its so far from the coast.

Return to “General”