Check out my new Type R!

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
James
Moderator / Donating Member

Check out my new Type R!

Postby James » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:18 am

:lol:

Yes so after many years on here I finally have a city! Not a turbo but still, its close :P

Picked it up yesterday in New Plymouth and drove it the 230km home. Its bloody brilliant. Has heaps of little nifty features, Ill describe along with pics:

The body is extremely! straight, and the paint is extremely shit :D All oxidised and flaking and stuff but its so straight! Like two small pressure dents you could make with your thumb in the whole thing.

The interior is all in great condition except for the seats and boot carpet (missing). The dash is in amazing condition and shows no signs of being 24 years old.

Not the best pic but it was a bit tricky.

Has a 3 speed semi-automatic. This means you get a torque converter, so no clutch, but you have to change gears yourself. Same as what was in my car before the city turbo swap, and not all that bad really.

It has working(!!!) A/C :D and one of those little AM coin tray radios that still works too.

It has an awesome cable tacho, althought not really necessary for an auto its still very nice to have, and will come in handy if I do the manual swap.

Very tidy instrument cluster that I havn't seen before.

Engine seems OK, bit of blue smoke under load but to be expected. Officially done 151000 km's but Im guessing a few more were done prior to import and it got wound back. The head looks extremely clean for some reason but I had a look in the oil cap and its not a pretty sight, black shite crusted all over the rockers so that will be getting a flush shortly!

Pic showing attached Jackson Racing S/C / A/C compressor :lol:

Apparently according to the Honda website, the City R had 'Hard Suspension' and it is my opinion that it is actually pretty hard! Almost to the point of feeling modified. Definately firmer than other cities I have been in but maybe because the shocks actually still work.

Will compare the front springs to T2 ones on the weekend, I have some spare struts and stuff so I am going to try and sort out a decent solution for all you citiers wanting better/working suspension.

Rear has what looks like very short springs (can't remember what others look like tho) and a swaybar about the same size as a T2 one from memory.

Other than all that its a great little car and pulls pretty hard. It has a few rattles and the doors dont quite shut far enough but should be able to sort that out when I service it this weekend.

Stay tuned as we (my girlfriend and I, it is supposed to b her car but I have sort of stolen it :P) have a few plans for it, paint and panel, bit of a resto-mod etc. Wasn't planning on anything too big but the body is just in such good condition, and I got such a good deal (<$500) I can help myself!

madmini
Donating Member

Postby madmini » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:01 pm

hey dude,looks like a good score,i went to pick a part todat (lower hutt) and theres a t1 city there the tb has been taken off but other thatn that its mostly all there,even has plastic side skirts on it looks like factory option type ones i should have got a pic.

James

Postby James » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:14 pm

Cool, yeah be worth getting a pic, side skirts are a cheap way to make it look a bit lower. Id ask someone to get me the manual conversion stuff I need from pick-a-part but they will charge heaps because its a few different bits, probably better off going to a normal wrecker for that.

mangusta
Forum Enthusiast

Postby mangusta » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:42 pm

The Sway bar looks totally different to that fitted to the turbo cars, according to the manual, the turbo2 rear swaybar is the same as the turbo1 (mounting wise anyway) but the swaybar above appears to go forward of the arm and through the chassis in front of the wheels, odd.

Is the CityR suspension later than turbo? and is this layout similar to other hondas?

madmini
Donating Member

Postby madmini » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:28 pm

ill see if i can get back out there im painting my mini tommorow and will be a day event so might be sunday,as for the conversion you proberly be better of buying a $50 wreak on tm should one come up.

Mike_NZ
Donating Member

Postby Mike_NZ » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:12 am

Stay tuned as we (my girlfriend and I, it is supposed to b her car but I have sort of stolen it Razz) have a few plans for it, paint and panel, bit of a resto-mod etc

Yeah Roz! Awesome work, she'll have to start posting too now.

James

Postby James » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:57 am

mangusta wrote:The Sway bar looks totally different to that fitted to the turbo cars, according to the manual, the turbo2 rear swaybar is the same as the turbo1 (mounting wise anyway) but the swaybar above appears to go forward of the arm and through the chassis in front of the wheels, odd.

Is the CityR suspension later than turbo? and is this layout similar to other hondas?

Hey, thats interesting that they are mounted differently. The R is actually older than both the T1 and the T2, it was released with the E in late '81. The rego on mine says 1984 City E so who knows what it actually is, can probably find out by checking numbers.

EDIT: Im pretty sure this is what the R one looks like: http://www.cityturbo.com/manuals/02_60SA700/19/02.html

madmini wrote:ill see if i can get back out there im painting my mini tommorow and will be a day event so might be sunday,as for the conversion you proberly be better of buying a $50 wreak on tm should one come up.

Sweet yeah would be I think. I also want some city seatbelts for my civic ('cause they are black) so If I can get a cheap wreck those things would pay for it easy.

Mike_NZ wrote:Yeah Roz! Awesome work, she'll have to start posting too now.

Heh yeah I am just trying to talk her out of painting it any shade of pink at the moment. Think we will stick with some kind of blue so we don't have to paint the inside too. She was amazed when I told her yours was painted with spray cans :lol: :lol:

Just been reading in the manual and it lookslike the R and especially the R with manual transmission had quite a few extras like different gearing and diff ratio and 5 more HP.

Doing some work on it today, will have some pictures later on...

James

Postby James » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:22 pm

Done a bit of work on the car, have replaced the outer CV boots, went very well, took about 1.5 hours for both.

It has an interesting problem. It runs extremely rough when cold, and is difficult to start. I have checked the plugs, they are mint. Changed the leads and dizzy cap with no change. I don't think its spark because the time thats usually hardest for spark, high rpm full load is fine.

It seems to be slowly losing power as well so it definately seems like a fuel problem to me, and I don't really know where to start with carbs. Guess pull off a fuel hose and check delivery?

mangusta
Forum Enthusiast

Postby mangusta » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:39 pm

With a carb, you can check the flow rate by cranking with the line pointed into a jar, see that it flows a bit, not sure on a number, but it won't be high pressure (float bowl needs very little pressure to work)

Running rough at idle usually means that teh choke isn't engaging properly, from the manual it shows the choke as being manual pull on and automatic slide off (electromagnet pulls the choke cable in as it warms up.) see here: http://www.cityturbo.com/manuals/01_60SA710/02/21.html

Check, by taking top off air filter, to see that the choke butterfly closes when you have the choke cable pulled out (should be a butterfly at the top of the carby, above the throttle)

Other than that, could be the jets on the carby are clogged (can happen if it sites a while) see if you can get carby cleaner and try, with the little hose thing to squirt some up the jets etc if you can, could be just varnish buildup in them...

Return to “General”