boost/freeboost t2 whats everyone running?

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
madmini
Donating Member

boost/freeboost t2 whats everyone running?

Postby madmini » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:30 am

hi all,well i got my self a boost controller of tm today and went to install it,now i have always been a bit sus about the boost on my t2 engine,whaty id like to know from some of you is,what boost are you running,and when you disconect the wastegate line to make it free boost,what is it then,on mine freeboost is approx -17vac and when it comes on to boost in 1st 2nd or 3rd gear its 6psi,now bear in mined that i have bored out wastegate hole and have a 2" exhaust system,i have checked that wastegate works fine ect im thinking its worn,if so where would you get a replacement for it??

cheers guys :)

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:55 am

Thats pretty weird man. Sorry I never hooked you up with a boost controller, kept forgetting :( Have to be a chipped ECU instead :D

Anyway, back to your problem. I don't even know how you are keeping the boost that low, I wouldn't have thought it would be possible even with the wastegate bored right out. Have you checked for exhaust leaks? Is the car running OK in general? Set the timing etc?

I have a spare T2 wastegate actuator somewhere, I will try and dig it out tonight. Have a spare T1 too which tidies it up a bit because it only has one pipe coming out of it.

Oh and if you unplug your wastegate and freeboost it should just fly up to boost cut, and if you remove that I have heard they can go to like 30+psi :o

mangusta
Forum Enthusiast

Postby mangusta » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:57 am

[hah, bigelboe posted while I was writing my response ;-)]

T2 standard runs 12psi boost, so if you aren't hitting that then you have a problem:

Wastegate spring failure (not enough tension to keep it shut)
Wastegate distortion - the hole, or plug of the wastegate could be damages (extreme EGT can do it)
Turbo failure - maybe turbo bushes are shagged out creating excessive drag
Exhaust leak between engine and turbo - would be noisy if so
Intake leak - between turbo and throttle - this _won't_ cause the car to run rough, just leak boost like a bastard...

There are a host of other possibles, including boost gauge failure ;-) Try another gauge, also, try sourcing your boost measurement from a different location (A diff vac hose etc) also test the wastegate functionality (I have done it with a compressor regulated to 12psi, put nozzle in wastegate hose and see if the gate moves...)

Maybe try putting the boost gauge in line with the Wastegate hose, see what reading you get there, it might show a higher pressure indicating that there is a leak before the throttle plate, or if the pressure is the same, that it is turbo related, does anyone know what the boost pressure reading at the Wastegate should be?

James

Postby James » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:55 am

I forget where the wastegate signal is taken from but I always have success reading from a T in the fuel pressure reg line.

madmini
Donating Member

Postby madmini » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:58 am

Thats pretty weird man. Sorry I never hooked you up with a boost controller, kept forgetting Have to be a chipped ECU instead

Anyway, back to your problem. I don't even know how you are keeping the boost that low, I wouldn't have thought it would be possible even with the wastegate bored right out. Have you checked for exhaust leaks? Is the car running OK in general? Set the timing etc?

hehe i wont say no but mabey after its certed tho keep my cert guy happy 1st :)

car is runing fine,but i took off the hose 32 so it free boosts and nada nothing it runs the same as it did before with boost tap and or the orginal city boost controler (now gone) that was in black box.

Wastegate spring failure (not enough tension to keep it shut)

im thinking along these lines at the moment.

Wastegate distortion - the hole, or plug of the wastegate could be damages (extreme EGT can do it)

when i bored it out i made shure it all was sealed nice n tight but prior to doing this boost was the same at standstill was approx 4-5 psi sitting there (couldnt drive car was badly damaged) so this was just thrw in gear on the hoist kinda thing

Turbo failure - maybe turbo bushes are shagged out creating excessive drag

again old car and allways possible but when it boosts up to 5 psi in the dry if you hold it in 2nd at 2700rpm and floor it it wheelspins and goes all over the place :) till red line,doesnt blow any smoke and when i bored it out again checked for play in shaft ed and was fine.

Exhaust leak between engine and turbo - would be noisy if so
Intake leak - between turbo and throttle - this _won't_ cause the car to run rough, just leak boost like a bastard...

i will check this as it does smell abit (fumey) under the hood will post what happens.

is there a test you can do in the wastegate spring assy to see what pressure its opening? when i say this i meen like out of the car and on bench test? just a thought

mangusta
Forum Enthusiast

Postby mangusta » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:53 pm

Wastegate line comes from compressor outlet just before the intake pipe covers. Just thinking measuring the pressure here might identify where the problem is pre, or post turbo etc...

madmini
Donating Member

Postby madmini » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:40 pm

that is what i was thinking,but what would i set pressure at? 5psi? would i be right in thinking that the lesser psi i put into it its stuffed and if it moves with say 10-12 psi then it is normal?

James

Postby James » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:54 pm

Blow 5 psi into your wastegate actuator, it shouldn't move too much. Then increase it until it does open. I think there might even be a section on that in the manual.

And what mangusta said might not be a bad idea, put a T in the line coming off the little nipple on the compressor housing itself so you can see exactly what boost it is making.

madmini
Donating Member

Postby madmini » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:14 pm

ok think i have found the problem where you have the hoses 2-5 i think it is comeing off the dizzy it runs into a bigger pipe to the cambelt side of engine,now it had a hose comeing directly from that to the back of the throtle houseing,now heres the intresting bit,when i start it (allways been like this even in the city)in would not have high revs ie if choke was on but with it plumbd into rocker cover its fine,im going by the digrams now posted up on here but as its a mini i dont have a brake booster so the line that goes into that do i block off or just put it some where else.

Smithy
Forum Addict

Postby Smithy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:16 am

any spare vacumn hoses i ever had on my morris minors with datsun engine I just put a bolt in and a clip around them, so just clamp it off and see wht difference it makes... its not doing anything right now anyway!

..you don't have a brake booster on the mini?

mangusta
Forum Enthusiast

Postby mangusta » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 pm

No mini came with a brake booster, not up until really recent models (UK only), you can fit an aftermarket one though, but the mini really doesn't need it ;-)

mad-mini, the line you describe is the brake booster, and a t-piece comes off to feed the fueld regulator and the dizzy. That port is a large vacuum port under the throttle plate, and if you are using the fuel reg line to measure boost and the brake booster line is leaking, then it will show low boost, and probably poor vacuum too...

Check the throttle end of the Booster hose, might be cracked and leaking, this will also interfere with your fuel pressure and dizzy advance... Otherwise if it is still hooked up to the vac advance, then check that it hasn't blown out (The diaphragm) as the other hose out goes into the control box I think?

madmini
Donating Member

Postby madmini » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:05 pm

the fat black one comeing out of 2-5 in the image is where it was plumbed into,no hoses on rocker cover and on the back of the above that black hose theres a red one comeing off i think that goes to the two way valve (canister) also there was no hose on the fuel reg either so ill have to hunt around for a tee peice and have a play around now to get it right im hopeing this is what all the problem is :)

James

Postby James » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:41 pm

madmini wrote:the fat black one comeing out of 2-5 in the image is where it was plumbed into,no hoses on rocker cover and on the back of the above that black hose theres a red one comeing off i think that goes to the two way valve (canister) also there was no hose on the fuel reg either so ill have to hunt around for a tee peice and have a play around now to get it right im hopeing this is what all the problem is :)

No hose on the fuel reg is :( means running pretty lean under boost, I would hook it up to the fat one that normally goes to the brake booster, and also T your boost guage in there.

madmini
Donating Member

Postby madmini » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:07 pm

yeah i goin to get some new hose and sit down on friday and go over the whole lot.

madmini
Donating Member

Postby madmini » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:43 pm

right i had a play with the mini today and heres what im not shure about,
first int he image youll see some in red,these are not connected now what ones are vital to be connected if at all and where to (note i have no brake booster line as car doesnt have one) number 6 has been remved as it was just a fillter in the black box the cannister is also not fitted nor the ac idle up,however the car allways starts up like it has no choke,i know it due to the lines 6& one just under that go to ac idle up but where would i put them now/or just block off?.

now in the green youll see my proposed way to re route this as no brake booster now from this id just tee it and hook up fuel reg as showen in blue. correct?

how heres an intresting one i took off the line going to wastegate and hooked it up to my air compressor with only 5-6 psi,it hardly moved,so went to 10psi i got about a 1-3/4mm movement out of it so took it to 15psi and was approx 2mm movement but was very slow to respond,so compared it to a mazda one i have here and that moves at 5 psi all the way,so i took clip off the arm to check for movement and the flaper is fine moves nice and free,so again guessing this is the problem that the actuator is buggerd?

sorry for the long read guys :)
[img][img]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/madmne/TranslatedT2Vacuummodd-1.jpg[/img]

Return to “General”