TURBO 2 CABRIOLET ??

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:42 pm

city_cabriolet wrote:The Analog dash although may seem older technology, is way more reliable long term. And thats what honda's reputation is built on. Reliability.

funny that... my turbo cabrolet had the anolouge dash.it was definatly not a factory turbo car though.
another thing to note is that the turbocabrolet was actually being slowly ripped inhalf by the more powerfull motor there were these cracks in the doors just behind the mirrors and when you stuck your finger over them and gave it a bit they would open up and pinch your finger when you braked or let the throttle go personally i would give it a miss in favour of a t2.

DODO
Donating Member

Postby DODO » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:49 pm

cracks in doors?
but doors hold no loads tho.. or do they??

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:16 pm

Matty i had the same cracks just behind the front quarter glass on both doors.

Its definately a flex point, both my doors rusted up badly around this weak spot, and thats just caining it with the 1231cc n/a engine!

Seriously, the suspension etc on a T2 is light years ahead of the Cabriolet. Don't get me wrong, i loved that car, but a T2 is the ants pants!!!

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:15 am

turbocab wrote:
city_cabriolet wrote:The Analog dash although may seem older technology, is way more reliable long term. And thats what honda's reputation is built on. Reliability.

funny that... my turbo cabrolet had the anolouge dash.it was definatly not a factory turbo car though.
another thing to note is that the turbocabrolet was actually being slowly ripped inhalf by the more powerfull motor there were these cracks in the doors just behind the mirrors and when you stuck your finger over them and gave it a bit they would open up and pinch your finger when you braked or let the throttle go personally i would give it a miss in favour of a t2.

Mmm thats not good. I suppose down the sides the door has to be a stressed member, theres not a lot else to do it. Welding some parallel bars inside the door would probably not be a bad idea.

mangusta
Forum Enthusiast

Postby mangusta » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:58 pm

DODO wrote:cracks in doors?
but doors hold no loads tho.. or do they??

They aren't structural, but flex in the body and chassis stretches and crushes them. All Cabs suffer from this, it's why they are heavier than the roofed equivalent in almost any model of car, which is one of the faults of the approach most Convertible car makers take, get a normal car and chop the roof off.... Monocoque construction doesn't like that ;-)

DODO
Donating Member

Postby DODO » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:14 pm

bigelboe wrote:
DODO wrote::D good. so it will be fine without the inter cooler and air filter. im definately going to put them back on, but why do people take them out in the first place? its not like this turbo cab dont have enough room..

Not sure why you would take off the intercooler, but if you remove the air filter it sounds pretty cool :lol:

i found out why they take off the intercooler as in Brendans post
The City Turbo II was not much better, it's intercooler was virtually an 'interheater' as it was very small and was exposed to very little airflow.

and another reason might be if this particular turbocabriolet is converted into turbo and left with cabriolet radiator it wont have enough room (it needs smaller T2 radiator)

I still dont know why it doesnt have the air filter tho. will have them on as soon as it gets shipped over here in Auckland.

as for the flex point in the doors I will have to find a way to fix them.
welding a parallel bars inside door as beiglboe suggested - if there is enough room inside or at least a pannel welded on.. if not i might invest on another pair of doors?? haha. sounds funny but I really like this set up ay.

I though I was going to have best of both worlds but it seem like im ending up with more problems. but Im really keen to make this work and will keep everyone posted =) thanks again for the feedbacks chaps! :lol: :lol: :lol:

mangusta
Forum Enthusiast

Postby mangusta » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:00 pm

Best bet to reduce stress on doors is check the catch adjustments, make it so the door is not tight between the hinge and the catch plate (forward and backward) so as the car flaxes the door isn't sandwiched as much.

Also, check under the car. On the cab, there should be some extra struts under the body to stiffen the "chassis" up, check that it is and that nothing shows as bending/cracking underneath, you could have a cracked weld in the chassis that lets the car flex, and welding it up might stop your problems.

Can never stop the car flexing all together, but if you spend the time and reweld the key chassis channels under the car then you can reduce the flex and even improve your handling.

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:12 pm

The sills under the cabriolet are extra thick in comparison to other city's.

When rust repairs were made on my old cab, they couldn't match the existing thickness, they suggested it was this stick to add structural integrity.

One positive about the cabriolet is its much safer in a side-on crash. The roll bar does indeed help, one of the cabriolet's i bought was hit square in the driver side door (on a freeway!) and the driver survived without injury. I'm fairly sure if that was a T2 he'd have not walked away from the accident.

Cheers.

madmini
Donating Member

Postby madmini » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:50 am

if you want to see how much they flex jack up the car from the front and open up the doors and see how far out in relaton to the catch even most cars with roof doors /body can felx upto 2-3mm just mesure from the center of the lock/catch on the door then down to the center of the catch on the body.

Return to “General”