My T1 Build Starts Here

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:40 am

Looks mint bro.

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Pulled the engine out and installed the inlet and exhaust manifolds turbo and dump pipe,

7/8 inch master cylinder is in for the larger calipers

My piping now looks something like this as i have removed the rubbish. red 1 and 2 are for the HKS EVC
Mounted the parts i need from the vacum box onto a block off plate from a carbed city nice and clean, also the HKS boost gauge sensor is there.

Got this to mount and hookup tomorrow, and hopefully get the rest of the engine and bay back together on monday

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:06 pm

Still not working, as of yet.

Its a T2 motor with T1 wiring on it in my T1 and still running the T1 ECU right now, i suspect the T1 ecu is giving it too much fuel cause the T2 injectors are bigger and its running too rich and wont start, will try a T2 ecu tomorrow.

does anyone know if there is a difference between T1 and T2 map sensors cause im running T1 ones

madmini
Donating Member

Postby madmini » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:57 pm

i found this in the info base:

All listings are considered to be confirmed unless stated otherwise.

CAN BE SWAPPED BETWEEN T1 AND T2:

* ECU (to quote charles: "you do get a difference in O2 readings between t1, t2 and Mugen ecus. t2 ecu will make it slightly richer but only a bit.")
* distributor
* vacuum advance
* head gasket
* head (if you keep the Control Box that matches your throttle body)
* turbo can be swapped but a modified (new) dump-pipe will be needed due to different exhaust flanges.
* exhaust systems are the same apart from the different flanges for the turbo. Some T1's came without catalitic converters.
* gearbox as long as the flywheel, clutch and starter motor are kept with the correct box ()Note: T2 box will provide slightly higher gearing in the lower gears
* MAP sensors
* oil filters are the same accross all cities (turbo and NA)
* coil
* dash componets are identicle apart from the final run of T2's (1986-1987). These have a completely different dash so should be easilly recognisable.
* seatbelt ratchet assemblies, but NOT the rest.

CANNOT BE SWAPPED BETWEEN T1 AND T2:

* Control Box (unless throttle body is also swapped)
* throttle body (unless control box is also swapped :Smile)
* seatbelts are not swappable except for the internal ratchet assembly
* steering rack ends are different, as are lower control arms (confirmed).
* Bottom sway bar,
* Clutch is slightly different between T1 and T2

cheers pete.

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:05 am

allright so im not 100% sure whats going on if it should work as it is,

The reason the control boxes dont swap is because there are different ports on the throttle bodys for stuff but the pieces im running are common to both so should be fine.

I will install the T2 ECU and have another play i did get it to run for a second or two. so it should work.

James

Postby James » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:35 am

Should be running, you cant really notice the difference between T1 and T2 ecus.

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:36 pm

My ign timing wasnt perfect ( and still isn't) running now seems to go allright didnt drive it cause the brakes aren't bled

Turbo leaks oil not sure how badly yet but i CBF fixing that til next WOF time lol
dump pipe is bolted up seems to be able to control boost well in neutral but will see what its like under load, HKS boost controller seems to work mintly.

Idle needs adjusting as its too low

So thats my list i think and tidy it up in the engine bay a bit theres pipes / wires everywhere.

Anyone have a semi decent T2 turbo?

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:16 am

I reset the cam and ign timing, installed some new sparkplugs and now it runs pretty well.

Wheel alignment is pretty bad and needs to be sorted out asap.

Engine bay still needs a bit more work to be tidy but at least the ghey box of BS is gone.
I installed a T2 Radiator and top support so i can run a T2 intercooler if i want i may possibly convert a stock T2 intercooler to water air just for something with a bit more cooling capacity for now.

DODO
Donating Member

Postby DODO » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:45 pm

looking good mate :D

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:51 pm

Suspension feels good,

Brakes need another bleed and the pads bedded in,

Ign timing needs adjusting so the car actually makes power,

Other than that its all good.

Split dump pipe works well, seems to control boost just fine,

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:30 pm

Got the stock T1 vents back from Bigelboe had him modify them to fit the HKS Gauges they look real good and are solid in the dash now.

Also recieved a HKS Fcon and original HP1 loom for the piggy back computer, it was originally from an EW CRX but it has a good chance of being a D101 Chip which is the same as what the city got for additional fueling.

Seems to run richer with it plugged in even though i dont have a map sensor for it, it uses a denso 3 bar map sensor but i think the cities have two of them standard so may be able to use one of those.

Will be interesting to see what this setup can achieve.
Still need to find a suitable wideband A/F gauge.

James

Postby James » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:52 pm

Gauges look mean 8)

Colby
Forum Participant

Postby Colby » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:56 pm

3GCVC wrote:Yeah i brought everything from japan the diff i got for 3k yen im very certian its the mugen they said it was from a 3g civic with the EW motor.

3k yen?

That's less than $30us! Nice score!!

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:09 am

Its been a while still working on it though,

Suspected wrong flywheel so the whole motor has been out again swapped flywheel clutch gearbox and starter to T2 items, also put the T1 turbo back on cause it doesn't leak oil, Heat painted the dump pipe. Starts a lot better but engine really needs a rebuild i have started collecting parts for this.

Brought a suitable sized (no bumper cut required) HKS intercooler to front mount, and also a HKS air filter im mounting where the stock T2 intercooler sits.

Im using 40mm OD mandrel bent mild steel intercooler plumbing which was part of an old HKS EW turbo kit i got which had already been previously modified.
Have mocked up some piping and got some mounts for the intercooler made so far.

Have also sourced some Yokohama 185 60 13s to go on the SSRs if im ever done polishing them.

More HKS parts for the interior, water temp, fuel pres, oil temp, oil press gauges same style as the ones already installed in the dash (very hard to find)

Think i just need the HKS oil cooler now then im set.

ClassicProT
Forum Regular

Postby ClassicProT » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:13 pm

Looks like it's coming along nicely. Good stuff

Return to “General”