Sender for spedo not working?!?!

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
2fast4u
Forum Regular

Sender for spedo not working?!?!

Postby 2fast4u » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:54 am

hello

I have a turbo city 2 and i took it in to get wof, but my speedo is not working, they got back to me and said it was the sender in the gear box.

They are going to charge me about 200 to get it fixed, i wanted to know if it is possible to do it myself.

Urgent responce so i can indicate if it is possible to replace myself so they dont start to do it.

cheers:)

meep meeep

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:16 pm

We need to know a little more about the problem to decide if you can fix it.

For a start the city turbo doesn't have a sender in the gearbox like later Honda's, the cable runs right into the cluster and is converted there. My guess is you either have a broken speedo cable, or your soldering in the speedo has let go. Neither of which should cost $200. If you have access to basic tools, a bit fo time and a soldering iron I would recommend fixing it yourself.

2fast4u
Forum Regular

Postby 2fast4u » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:29 pm

hey thanks mate. hmm so these bars*eds trying to scam me?

ok well mate i would tell you more but i cant i dont know anythign else thats all i got told by dad. but i will call up tomorrow and tell them i dont want that done. ok so how can i teturmain what the problem is?

how do i know if its the cable or the soldering?

cheers

fireslug
Forum Regular

tappets

Postby fireslug » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:44 am

Yo Bigelboe,

Tis Ric here dood. Do you know the settings for the tappets on me T1?

I need to adjust em to eliminate the clacking noise.

Appreciate your help once again.

Ric

samol
Forum Enthusiast

Postby samol » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:02 am

go under the car and follow the speedo cable and make sure it is firmly in the sender unit, when i first got mine it was intermittant but after putting it in properly (took 5mins under the car) it has been fine since

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:01 pm

First check is does the display read 0 or nothing at all?

If it reads zero you can pull the little hairpin clip thing holding the cable into the gearbox out, and pull the cable out of the gearbox. pull the whole inner spring thing out of the sheath (should just slide out) and check its got the square bits on either end. Give it an oil (use light oil or else the speedo will stick and jump) and put it back in. Then replace the cable into the gearbox taking care to get the two little flats on the end of the cable aligned. It can be quite misleading, it needs to go in pretty far to make sure its properly engaged.

If after all that the speedo still doesn't work then I would be fairly sure its the soldering in your dash. Otherwise the speedo drive gear in the gearbox must be stripped but for that to happen other bad stuff must have happened.

and for Ric,

Valve clearance: (Cold)
IN (CVCC) 0.12 - 0.17
In (Main) 0.12 - 0.17
Ex (Main) 0.17 - 0.22

2fast4u
Forum Regular

Postby 2fast4u » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:59 am

hey yes it is reading zero and they have apparently fixed it and are charging $180 for it, and realy with what you have told me i dont think i should be paying that much for this job, so is there a sender as the person above has said it plugs in to the sender. and they saying it needs replacing.

When it starts up it goes up to 188 then goes back down to 0

Return to “General”