I'm developing a performance suspension package for City's

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:49 pm

Interestingly enough these look like lowering springs for an AA city:

http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p162851482

Comes to ~$310NZD for them. As far as I can tell they are 45-50mm lower, someone should try these :P

Found some super-lows 8)

http://page14.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s137762165

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:29 am

Damn that bush looks all good, so the grease nipple we are going to need to install greases up the outside dia of the bush?

Have seen those lowering springs they always seem to be for sale the "ZOOM downlows" i would almost bet that set of blue springs i have are the low set you can get from them.

James

Postby James » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:15 am

Ah yeah true. Its funny the site says that if the superlows aren't low enough you can cut one or two coils off them :lol:

Probably can flag the grease nipple now, I think the grease is just going to stay in the grooves and between the bushings.

Found another source for urethane so thats all good. Just have to get it sent from Auckland. Will stock up and start making bushings. Be good to have a roll call of who is keen for a set of HARD bushings. I will supply a number of bushings (to be confirmed, might not supply the rear lower control arm outers in a standard set) and supply you a loan of the bits required to press the old bushings out.

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:58 pm

Well i dont have any problem with cutting springs so long as its done properly and i tend to do it for spring rate NOT height therefore not getting any negative handling from it.

Thats sweet about the grease nipples that was going to be a bit of messing around can always do them later if required.

The HARD bushings are going to be about as stiff as you can go and still be streetable right if so il want all the bushings you can possibly make in that stiffness except the end links and d bushings for the swaybars cause i would think those would be cheaper off the shelf from Repco ect i can get trade price on them from there also.

-------------------------------------
Hard Bushing Kit Roll:

1. 3GCVC
2. Whos next??

------------------------------------

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:31 pm

keep up the good work mate looking very profesional!
ile be in for hard bushings.
dont want to hassle but how long do you recon until ile be able to get a suspension package from you?
matt

James

Postby James » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:24 pm

I could put something together that was the right ride height for you turbocab but I can't really confirm what spring rates will be good for you etc. If you want me to put some shocks together that are height adjustable and you find a source of 65mm ID coilover springs over there that will allow you to try a few different rates that would probably be the best for you. As for the shock rates I can put some pretty heavy oil in them but they are going to be openable any way so you can change that if you want.

I could have a set like that done in a couple of weeks probably.

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:55 pm

hmmmm sounds great! ile look into springs next week and see what i can come up with if you have any sugestions or atleast a rough idea so i sound like i know what ime talking about that would be great,then ile pm you about knocking up a set of shocks for me 8)
matt

James

Postby James » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:58 am

Sounds good. Youll be after some 6" or 150mm long springs, inside diameter of 65mm (standard coil over springs) and you'll want approximately 6-7kg/mm or 300-400lb/in rate for the front, and probably 9-12kg/mm or 500-650lb/in in the rear, probably leaning towards the higher sides of both to deal with the limited travel you can allow, and the extra offset on your wheels (the extra offset works like lever to give the wheel more advantage over the spring needing more spring rate to compensate).

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:44 pm

I still dont get this obsession with 150mm long springs. You have so much shock body length to play with why not go for 180mm springs and not have to risk bottoming them out after only 70-80mm of compression.

King part numbers KPS-105-X5K, KPS-106-X5K, KPS-107-X5K, KPS-108-X5K, KPS-109-X5K cover the 300lb-400lb range in 180x65.
Part numbers KPS-113-X5K, KPS-114-X5K, KPS-115-X5K, KPS-116-X5K cover the 500lb-650lb range in 180x65.

The lighter rate ones (ie. fronts) have solid heights from 70-80mm so you still only get 100mm of travel at absolute max.

It would almost be worth looking at the 200mm springs. They are available in the same rate options as the 180's.

Dxs
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Dxs » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:59 pm

i would be looking into eibach springs over crap like king springs

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/6-L ... p-108.html
etc

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:39 pm

I have had a couple of sets of King springs in my Integra and I think they are excellent.

I have no idea where the "king springs are crap" thing has come from, I have never heard anyone who actually owns a set complain about them.

And besides, a linear 600lb spring is just that, linear and 600lb. They will be identical from any manufacturer. Only difference might be that cheaper ones may sag or soften slightly over time.

Dxs
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Dxs » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:32 am

well i am no expert, and i presume you arent either..

but stuff like grades of steel.. dont king springs have 2 grades available from memory?

anticorrosion properties, manufacturing process, coil consistancy etc.

in a general rule i would trust german engineering over australian.

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:40 pm

Mmm, not an expert, I am moderately qualified though :wink: .

Anyway, doesnt bother me, you can put whatever springs you like in your car. Ill be happy to put King springs in mine if they come in the right size and length at a good price.

James

Postby James » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:18 pm

Dxs wrote:well i am no expert, and i presume you arent either..

but stuff like grades of steel.. dont king springs have 2 grades available from memory?

anticorrosion properties, manufacturing process, coil consistancy etc.

in a general rule i would trust german engineering over australian.

I despise blind brand/country/whatever trust/fanboyism :evil: Some of the v8 supercars and things use the King spring linear coilover springs so they probably aren't too bad. A lot of what you pay for with german/american/japanese engineering is just the fact that its from that particlar place.

As for spring length colin, turbocab is going to be running about 20mm travel and quite low so 150mm springs will be fine for him, dick. :lol:

Dxs
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Dxs » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:57 pm

you cant really combat a generalisation with a generalisation.

i just recall my friends progressive king springs being fairly inconsistant between the pair. King springs here have low rep because they seem to aim for the market that just wants to dump their car.. hence all their progressive springs are sold as low, superlow etc.. and you probably cant even find the rates for them.

They have a rep for sagging too, presumely because they are wound hot? dont know if this is the case for their linears, but i believe eibach linears are cold wound.

Dont v8 supercars use a live rear still too? :p

But let me know on the prices you can get linear kings for, i might have a mate who can get them cheaper
http://www.kingsprings.com/catalogue/ki ... %20cat.pdf

Return to “General”