I'm developing a performance suspension package for City's

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:47 pm

Im not really in support of king springs, thats col :D

Their low and superlow springs are marketed as primarily cosmetic (the superlows completely) and they happen to handle not that bad in many applications. Just because the main bulk of their consumer product is cheap cosmetic stuff doesnt preclude thme from being able to wind a quality spring.

Anyhoo, the springs I am currently sourcing for the coil over kits are Dobinsons, another Aussie manufacture.

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:07 pm

And Dobinsons have an even worse rep than Kings :roll:

Dxs
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Dxs » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:36 am

either way.. as long as we know the dimensions, people can do what they want

James

Postby James » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:30 pm

Col there are many rumors that Dobinsons make the springs for Whiteline which I have had in my car for a good while an which have been very good...

As DXS said if people want to break the bank on springs then they are welcome too, but thats not what my system is targeted at. I'd be surprised if any of us could tell the difference between different brands of linear coil over spring from driving the car.

James

Postby James » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:30 pm

Have started yours fronts turbocab but will need some rears, I only have one spare T2 rear at the mo. Be good if you could send yours over. Im just thinking you could probably wack a hole in the side of the struts to drain the oil out, would save around 400 grams each. I would just weld it back up.

craybait
Donating Member

a set for craybait

Postby craybait » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:12 pm

Have purchased a donor set front/rear for a t2 ,from 3gcvc who is at least in the same country.I will need them in 5 or 6 months.He said he can drop them off,let me know if you need to make them earlier

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:15 pm

yeah thats cool bro ile drill a 3mm hole in them and drain them out and box them up tonight or tomorow and post em off asap! please pm me with your postal details.
matt
ps pm'd

James

Postby James » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:50 pm

Be VERY careful to only drill through the outside skin, there is an inner tube that can't be pierced.

James

Postby James » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:00 pm

Also I had better confirm that they are T2 struts before you send them over. The part number is on a label on the struts about half way up and is usually painted over with black paint. If you can't read through the paint you have to be real careful and remove some. Very easy to scrape the numbers off the label too. I will be doing an infobase article on strut identification at some stage.

James

Re: a set for craybait

Postby James » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:12 pm

craybait wrote:Have purchased a donor set front/rear for a t2 ,from 3gcvc who is at least in the same country.I will need them in 5 or 6 months.He said he can drop them off,let me know if you need to make them earlier

I have your set in my hot little hands :D

EDIT: Turbocab your fronts have the old spring cups cut off, and the tops opened. Front struts only hold just under 200mls of oil so I may have exagerated my weight claims. Let me know how much the postage is for the rears, may want some fronts too, may be able to arrange you just sending the internals, be much easier, and I can just fit them to some NA bodies.

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:15 pm

alright mate i did my best to get the part no's off the fronts tonight....
one says 51601-sa7-9810 etc cant read if there is more
the other says 51602-sa then i cant get any more off it.
started to try get the rears uncovered but had trouble.
i was about to book postage for them now but decided to check here first,let me know what bits of them you will need.
matt

James

Postby James » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:51 pm

Yup those are T2 fronts.

OK from my calcs on the Auspost website its gonna cost you about $70 to send those rears over. The other option requires thet you get access to a lathe or a pipe cutter, preferable a pipe cutter.

You would need to carefully cut through the outside casing of the shock about 70mm from the end. Then send the internals over here, that would bring the cost down to about $45. THe more drastic option is you pull it completely apart and just send the valve body off the end of the strut shaft, the one in the bottom of the inner strut tube, and the seal and bearing nuts from the top. That would bring it down to about $15 postage max.

Up to you really, each various stage of pulling apart just means a bit more work for me thats all really.

EDIT: The part numbers for the shocks are also stamped on the golden caps that are on top of the strut bodies. Youll be able to see these after you pull off the metal can thing thats on the rears (I don't need that).

I might do an Anatomy of a City strut picture so people know what I am referring too.

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:29 pm

well i have a lathe in my workshop so i guess i can cut them up for you and save myself some cash on postage.
whats a pipe cutter? do you mean one of those things that plumbers use to cut copper pipe,it runs a little sharpened wheel round and round until the pipe is cut?

when you say 70 mm from the end...which end? ime guessing the bottom?
matt

James

Postby James » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:33 pm

yeah a pipe cutter like that.

Lathe would be fine too.

70mm from the top. Ill post some pics tomorrow if you want so you know what parts are inside that you are sending etc.

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:26 pm

yep that would be good.

Return to “General”