I'm developing a performance suspension package for City's

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:54 am

Just spent a small fortune on tooling, but i think Bigelboe now has everything he needs to make some struts up over the next week or so.

Haven't got anywhere near as far with the body work as i was hoping to, but theres no real hurry for that.

All in all things are looking pretty good :D

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:27 pm

The breaking news is that the front end of my new city was held together by hopes, dreams and bog. Now its just held together by hopes and dreams.

The plus to this is it means bigelboe has the car for a few weeks to play about with the suspension.

The bad news is that it will be a few weeks before i can get it back on the road so there wont be any suspension road testing until then.

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:53 pm

I dunno about that "few week" wait in suspension trial, but it is better to do it properly get some solid weld and steel in there again.

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:54 pm

So you dont reckon i should replace the structural bog?

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:04 pm

Could possibly use my city for testing as soon as i get it back together hopefully this week.

Definiately fix the rust do a good job so you don't have to come back to it later,

Can you stick your hands into the cabin from the engine bay now the bog and rust has been cut out?

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:13 pm

Hah, nah its not that bad. Just the usual corner of windscreen/top of firewall seam area.

Probably have to cut most of the pillar out to get at it though :?

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:06 am

Colza wrote:Hah, nah its not that bad. Just the usual corner of windscreen/top of firewall seam area.

Probably have to cut most of the pillar out to get at it though :?

I think its time you made a thread with some pics isnt it?

Let me know if you need a pillar or two i cut some spares out of my parts car cause i had a fun job fixing mine without one.

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:56 am

Pillars look solid, the rust is behind them so if he carefully cuts out bits of the pillar, fixes the rust behind them, and then welds the pillar back on it should be good.

Also yeah this is getting a bit off topic, you should make your own thread col.

craybait
Donating Member

T2 shocks/springs

Postby craybait » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:19 am

Have purchased a set of T2 shocks,springs from 3gcvc [in N.Z] for you to modify when you are in production I am in Perth West Australia.I will need them later this year but exchange ones will be getting rarer by then.

James

Postby James » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:07 pm

Sweet as, sounds good craybait.

Just had a bit of a breakthrough with the suspension tonight. I worked out that if you turn the top part of the strut tops over it makes a perfect spring cup for a 70mm spring. Also neatly hides a circlip height adjustable system so I may make this standard. This may mean that each set of suspension needs two sets of strut tops but I am having a think about the strut tops and wether they could be modified easily.

Also been working on the parts to seal the struts back up after they have been opened. Have made a few little things to make making these parts easier. Also getting the hang of my lathe at the same time hah, have got it cutting pretty nicely now.

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:42 pm

yay sounds good!

James

Postby James » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:10 pm

yeah tis, just ordered some rear springs too.

I think your system will be mainly relying on bumpstops turbocab so I will have to find a source of some good quality ones as the stock ones will shit out in no time. Did you have any luck contacting an Engineer about the suspension requirements? I would hate to build you something you can't use on the street.

Started having a think about the things I need to build to make these urethane bushings work too. Thinking of getting colin making some of the press tools when he is here next weekend ;)

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:22 am

Wont be comin up unless you can find me that gas money :D

James

Postby James » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:33 am

Yeah I was just thinking, not this weekend but next I have to be in Tok for roz to use the car for her licence test so it would be preferred for you to come up this weekend. I will probably have to go to SKF to get some snap rings today so will get your money then.

James

Postby James » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:51 pm

Turbocab I think you will need something like :

http://www.georgestock.co.nz/catalogue/STOCKS/GS15.pdf

SPF 1832K

A fairly firm shortish bumpstop, should give some progression so you dont just suddenly run out of travel (haha what travel :P)

Return to “General”