semi-auto trans reliability question

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
KiwiCatherine
Forum Participant

semi-auto trans reliability question

Postby KiwiCatherine » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi folks, was out enjoying a drive in m' City-Cabrio these last few days, and been lookin' at buyin' a non-turbo 1984 City (just a basic 3 door) for a friend

It's the one with the 3 speed Hondamatic semi-auto trans (designated as Low, Star and OD from memory)

On a test-drive the car seemed to go ok, but my question is .....

QUESTION....."How are these transmissions ? are they known to be trouble-some or trouble-free ?"

My friend just wants a runabout to tootle around in, but she's only driven an auto before so I cannot talk her into going for a "real" gearbox. But she could drive a semi-auto ok.

Your opinions appreciated
Thanks

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:54 pm

listen for whining bearings and perhaps flush the oil and see how bad the old stuff is as well as how much metal on the bung magnet.

they seem to go for ages if not being thrashed to death...

Cheers

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:28 pm

Gearbox will most likely be fine (because they are semi-auto they go forever, the main problem auto's get it changing or not changing at the wrong times), check for rust and dodgy rust repairs with a fine tooth comb!!!

classichondasrule
Forum Enthusiast

gearbox

Postby classichondasrule » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:27 am

hi, i've had three Hondamatic Civics and they all performed reliably and well above satisfactory.

I prefer hondamatics to normal autos as you are still in control of the gearbox but don't have to worry about the clutch i think because of all these things Hondamatic is superior plus you can still do some really fun stuff using the brak, handbrake as well as the accelerator. so i recommend them if you have to go auto.

KiwiCatherine
Forum Participant

thanks folks

Postby KiwiCatherine » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:04 am

Thanks for the comments. My flatmate ended up buying the semi-auto City and it seems to go great.

We also got, included in the price another City (manual gbox model). Towed that here on an A-frame

It *supposedly* has a good motor and gearbox (5 speed) but with parts removed it was unable to be started to be heard running

Golly mate sometimes I amaze even myself, even with a lack of visible timing marks on the bottom pulley I managed to get the (previously removed)Distributor back into its hole. Got the ign coil re-installed and wired up right first time (copied some off the other City) and got the motor started but it wouldn't rev-up. So withdrew the Dizzy partway enough to let it turn like one tooth cog along more advanced then re-seated it.

The car started right up again and now revs fine. Have no idea how exact I got the dizzy-ignition timing but obviously it's close enough for an engine to start and run well, albeit without normal driving load

Couldn't really drive the old car 'roundon the roads of inner city Chch as it's very obviuosly NOT registered or WOF, rear bumper/dam and headlights already gone, and I had to take the front dam off to fit the A-frame to tow it home the day we bought the cars, so no indicators plus someones previously removed the steeringwheel stalks, but the engine runs fine.

Currently parked on the front lawn with barely one and a half metres in front and behind it, sandwhiched between large treetrunks, so I Jacked one wheel off the ground and runs through the forward gears fine upto 80 kmh on speedo, and reverse ok also

Bastards ! In the past I've bought old wrecks that still had heaps of fuel in them. This one doesn't even get upto the E on the gauge, but there's obviously a very little petrol still there, enough to test run the motor anyway. The needle eventually creeps up above its absolute zero resting point

No I'm not wanting to wreck it out for parts, I want the parts for my own Cabrio and my flatmates 3 door City if needed

cheerio
Cate

Return to “General”