Dxs's 'getting his t2 on the road' log

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Mike_NZ
Donating Member

Postby Mike_NZ » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:49 am

ive just finished doing this the hard way Crying or Very sad using a small scraper as a chisel whacked with a hammer.

I found the heat gun just made a sticky mess too, and ended up using a screwdriver to chip off little bits at a time.

Dry ice looks like a much better idea.

Dxs
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Dxs » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:02 pm

just a minor update..

Laid down some of the protec ISF 2k paint.. not a bad product, goes nice and solid, quite a runny paint though.. But i am not too fussed, just wanna seal all my rust removal work.

got a replacement dash as well from a very generous fellow forumer. My last one was missing a few components and had a few cracks with attempted repairs.

Also been fixing up the other panels...

so just plan to fix the rust on the bonnet-1/4s etc.. paint them and other patches on the car..

then put it back together

(still havent gotten the engine back from the machinest)

Dxs
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Dxs » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:41 pm

VERY BAD NEWS

Machinist contacted me, the 2nd block i provided is screwed in terms of cylinder walls. Said i would need larger pistons or else it would be noisy and smokey. Obviously pistons arent obtainable or viable, finding a block is very hard and risky etc. Then i have ? on the gearbox and other aspects of the car, if rego and roadworthy will go alright.. etc etc

I really like the car and was looking forward to using it. Spent 100's of hours on it, $$$ on it, and it taught me to MIG + I feel bad because i am letting down the generous people giving me parts.. But yeah, it has snowballed in many areas.

So i dont know what i am gonna do with it all now, maybe sell the gaskets etc.. and ebay the car with a removed engine?

classichondasrule
Forum Enthusiast

Postby classichondasrule » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:45 pm

oh man that really is harsh but i find when things have had so much of your time it's probably best to push on through and finish it, and then reap the benefits and then keep the car forever lol, that's what i'm doing lol i can never get my time back and no amount of money would pay me for my time iv'e put into MY car, so persevere mate you'll be smiling in the end.

ClassicProT
Forum Regular

Postby ClassicProT » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:28 pm

Thats no good :(

I dont know if this is a viable option, but have you considered using a City Pro T block?

The only difference that I could think of would be the turbo oil lines. But that is easily fixed by T-piecing into where the oil sensor is on the block. Im pretty sure the T2 head bolts up and so would the sump cover.

In terms of the compression ratio, you would use the T2 pistons with the T2 head.

I live in Melbourne as well. I currently have a Pro T block stripped (I'm turbocharging my city haha). If you like, we could compare the two blocks.

Dxs
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Dxs » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:45 pm

Cheers guys.. But i think it is best to end it. There were a lot of issues concerning me in the past, like unknown gearbox condition, condition of everything else in the car, registering it in a new state with a dif block, reliability etc. This has been the final nail in the coffin.

So i will most likely be selling the parts i have acquired (would be handy for many people here).. a lot take time to get in or are the last the country (generic gasket kit, arp headstud and rod bolts, honda timing belt and crank seals). And the parts on the car are pretty good, like no cracks in any lights, all the interior parts are there, dizzy, starter, good turbo etc etc, head was recently rebuilt.. I could recoup a little (but still be down thousands).

ProT
Donating Member

Postby ProT » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:29 pm

So what exactly did the machinist say about the cylinder walls?

Why not just get a set of custom pistons & rings made. For much less than $2k (I would think) you would be back on track with your rebuild.

Try a search, custom pistons have been discussed on this forum before.

Dxs
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Dxs » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:49 pm

i know that is an option.. but using them, it would be around 4k on top.

I could source another block, but i am already on my 2nd block atm, how do i know all the effort acquiring stripping, waiting for inspection.. that it wont turn out the same...

Probably time to cut my losses

ClassicProT
Forum Regular

Postby ClassicProT » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:37 pm

I think you should still hold onto it. Maybe just take a break. Step back and have a look at all the work you've done. Don't let it go to waste. Theres bound to be other options.

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:55 am

Sounds pretty bad, May be a good excuse to get some custom forged pistons in oversize made, would possibly be better than giving up considering the $ and time that has gone into this so far.

Also no one in their right mind is going to check the block code or care i would imagine, where its located makes it quite difficult as well.

There must be a good block somewhere in australia, postage possibly wont be too much to auz lol

Dxs
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Dxs » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:32 am

unfortunately in my state, when you go to reregister a car, you have to get an inspection, and what they specifically do is check the VIN and the block code.

even if i got a new block there are the risks i have already outlined. Basically i have almost ditched this project numerous times in the past, this is just the final straw.

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:40 pm

nup dont want to hear this kind of talk! ive been at mine 2 years and hit a bunch of problems,throw a cover over it and forget it for a month then come back to us with some more positive news!

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:50 pm

I hardly think they are going to complain there is a different block in there so long as it doesnt come up as being from a stolen vehicle or anything and its still the same litreage there should be no issue,

Yeah i agree put it away for a while and think on it a bit more,

If only u werent in australia i have a 92K engine here that ran mint in the car just a shame theres a chance this wont be finished.

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:38 pm

It cant be illegal to change engines in a car. Engines break, they get replaced. Its what happens.

You just need to call up your local authority and work out the details of what they want when you bring them the car to be checked over.

Return to “General”