My 1335cc Civic Sport Engine Conversion Progress & Pics

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
classichondasrule
Forum Enthusiast

My 1335cc Civic Sport Engine Conversion Progress & Pics

Postby classichondasrule » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:40 am

Hi, Well here are some pics of my work in progress, well i'm nearly there lol.
okay i'll start with some of the engine out and engine fitting up photos then some fixed engine photos, enjoy, lol

engine out, i started so i gotta finish lol

okay, first clearance issue, it's a bit close lol

classichondasrule
Forum Enthusiast

Postby classichondasrule » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:58 am

okay more pics lol

there's my base mount, nicely fitting

theres my new body edit so i have enough clearance lol

theres my City mounts on the Civic 1335 engine, nice fit ( thanks for the info Bigelboe )

my recored City rad without fan as it wouldn't fit in due to the water exit being at the front of the engine instead of the rear lol damnitt lol

so here's the MK2 Civic Fan readied for fitting

nearly done lol

oh and my alloys 14" 5Js phew lol

the exit point of the water from the engine

oh more to come lol

classichondasrule
Forum Enthusiast

Postby classichondasrule » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:25 am

above view of the exhaust manifold and it's downward travel

and heres some of my temporary bonnet and grill spraying, next spraying will be the bumpers and headlight surrounds to red

ok that's it for a bit, but watch this space and please tell me anything and ask me anything, T.T.F.N.

ClassicProT
Forum Regular

Postby ClassicProT » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:02 pm

WOW!

Looks awesome, I think this may be the first non ER engine conversion done to the City.

Just a quick question, what did you do for the axle/geabox combo?

Congrats once again.

classichondasrule
Forum Enthusiast

Postby classichondasrule » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:57 pm

Thanks, I used the Civic sport engine and Civic Sport gearbox and they fitted up nicley bigelboe told me they should fit up and they were made to measure he's a legend. oh i have some issues with the ignition module, condenser and wirinig loom but i will soon have them ironed out, lol

ClassicProT
Forum Regular

Postby ClassicProT » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:17 pm

Would you know by any chance the compression ratio for the motor?

Also, did you use the city axles for the gearbox?

Bart
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Bart » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:52 pm

The City and Civic engines look so similar. I wonder if the 1.3 crank will fit in the City engine? Or 1.5l crank?

Nice job it looks so factory.

classichondasrule
Forum Enthusiast

Postby classichondasrule » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:32 pm

thanks, don't know about the crank but i did use the City axles for the gearbox, and the 8.4.1 compression ratio of the 1,335 cc engine should be ok for now although i do know someone who likes to put high compression heads on these motors so maybe one day ????? lol

ClassicProT
Forum Regular

Postby ClassicProT » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:06 pm

You could add a turbocharger!

Thats a nice compression ratio for it too.
If your up for it, convert it to fuel injection. It would cost a bit, but it would make it more efficient and if you do plan to turbocharge it, FI is the way to go (if you want to do it well), you could get away with using a stock setup....risky.

classichondasrule
Forum Enthusiast

Postby classichondasrule » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:33 pm

hhhhhmmmm Tubo would be nice but aftermarket turbochargers predict a rebuild every 10000 miles on these motors but there were a couple of handfulls of special turbo versions built back in the day for the UK market one is for sale now here but i don't have the funds at the mo, here is some info

The car was fitted with a ‘Garrett Air Research T3’ turbo unit blowing the air/fuel mixture through rejetted standard carburettors at 6psi. Whilst the normal 8.4.1 compression ratio of the 1,335 cc engine was retained and an oil cooler was fitted.

The turbo was designed to come into play at around 1,800 rpm and to develop full boost by 3,000 rpm. Motoring journalists described the car has having little turbo lag. The effect of the turbo was to raise power output significantly. At 5,500 rpm the BHP increased from the standard 75 to 105 pushing maximum speed from 100 to 120 mph. The 0 to 60 sprint was reduced from 12.5 seconds to 8.8 seconds which was really quite impressive for a 1,335 cc 4 door saloon.

The conversion was said to greatly improve the cars pulling power in 4th and 5th gears. The standard cars torque output of 74 lb ft at 3,500 rpm improved to 123 lb ft at the same revs. As a consequence the 50 to 70 mph acceleration time in 4th gear became an impressive 6 seconds making overtaking faster and safer.

The engine layout was altered slightly to accommodate the turbo unit and modification of the inlet and exhaust manifolds were necessary. A chromium plated camshaft cover was also fitted.

To cope with all this extra power various other modifications had to be made at the same time. Handling was improved by lowering the ride height and fitting uprated springs and dampers. The standard wheels were replaced with 5 ½ inch rim aluminium ‘Lunar Moon’ wheels with wider Avon Turbospeed 205/60 tyres. There were also changes to the car’s appearance. The top and bottom halves of the car were painted in complementary colours. A vinyl roof was fitted in the same colour as the lower half body colour. The word ‘Turbo’ was phased along the bottom half of both front doors with twin coach lines running down the length of the car culminating in a ‘TT’ logo on the bootlid. Additionally, an integral full width front air dam as well as black rear boor lid spoiler were fitted.

The car also received major internal revisions. A new 120 mph speedometer was fitted along with a turbo boost gauge (just behind the gearbox mounting). The seats were replaced with ‘figure hugging’ ones trimmed in grey velour with contrasting piping and a new grey carpet fitted - under which was laid a full sound deadening kit. Black ‘leatherette’ PVC trimmed the doors, upper dashboard, and gearbox surround. The steering wheel was also replaced with a sportier feel and leather look rimmed ‘Nardi’ version.

it would be nice to buy it and swap the engine into a City, bit of a shame though as it was the first avon turbo acclaim off the line and prob the last left but hmmmmmmm nice thought lol, here is some pics of one and before anyone sez what the body looks like it's one or both of ( honda ballade or Civic )

i just wish i had enough to get that baby and convert it to a city, maybe i'll have a brainwave, or maybe not lol, i can dream

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:25 pm

A properly set up turbo car shouldnt need a rebuild every 10000 miles :?

classichondasrule
Forum Enthusiast

Postby classichondasrule » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:11 pm

i agree fully Colza but that is what the builders of a new turbo version 1335cc motor said, and i said NNNooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! way i'm touching that lol

turbo trevor
I'm New Here, Please Be Nice!

Postby turbo trevor » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:11 pm

I think the turbo set up on that Triumph is a 'Draw through' type so not really worth the cost. If you wanted to stay old school, you could achieve a similar or better result by grafting on a Renault 5 turbo or a Lancia Delta turbo (blow through) carb, welding a flange for the turbo and some sort of boost retard device. This could all be done for a fraction of the cost of that Avon.

classichondasrule
Forum Enthusiast

Postby classichondasrule » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:12 am

right been a bit busy for a while but here is an update.

i now have a running 1335cc EN4 twin Keihin carb engine in my City, phew, this is my first conversion and i couldn't really say before this i was even a tinkerer well my brother has done all the donkey work but i have helped when i can lol anyway we have had some probs i had to get the ignition module and condenser from an EN4 and wire that up, it works now lol but it's not wired to the ignition ( i wouldn't mind a bit of a hand working out which wire would be the one to attatch it to as nobody here really has one never mind has any experience with them ) i also sold the original engine and bits along with my old City and realised i had let the cv joint cup drive shaft thingys go too aaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!! managed to get them back or i would have been fluffed ( took a few weeks ).
then i had her driving but my clutch gave out aaaaaaahhhhh!! so i t was engine out and apart ( really didn't need that ) ok i got a new clutch and found a NOS gearbox WOW! awesome change, now i just need to have my exhaust cut and welded to the correct alignment and she's off for her MOT and road tax, i couldn't take any pictures last time as my phone had died lol, i'll take some next time and put some up hopefully of her driving and a vid of her running, Dean

classichondasrule
Forum Enthusiast

Postby classichondasrule » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:20 am

here's a couple of pics for now of the engine bay with airbox and radiator on, also of the NOS gearbox before fitting, enjoy.

Return to “General”